• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 IndyCar Silly Season Thread

I think it's about time we started this thread:

https://racer.com/2019/08/07/ferrucc...ions-for-2020/

https://racer.com/2019/08/07/rll-clo...tent=home-hero

What are the odds Conor Daly gets the Air Force to throw money at this supposed third RLL car? Just a thought.

With Sato turning 43 before next season (yet seemingly doing as well as ever), Rahal would do well to find/develop a driver to replace him sometime in the next 5 years. Does Sato have any proteges from Japan or the Honda supported group?
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
      With Sato turning 43 before next season (yet seemingly doing as well as ever), Rahal would do well to find/develop a driver to replace him sometime in the next 5 years. Does Sato have any proteges from Japan or the Honda supported group?
      There are a few decent Japanese drivers in Formula 3, but I do not think they have shown enough potential for an IndyCar team to give them any kind of look. Perhaps if they moved to the Road to Indy there could be a greater chance of landing a ride at some point in the future. But, if no Japanese driver enters the series before Sato retires, it will be the first time since 2001 that no Japanese driver started the Indy 500, the first time since 1997 that no Japanese driver attempted to qualify for the Indy 500, and the first time since 1989 that no Japanese driver started a race in IndyCar.

Comment

Originally posted by dubsywheels View Post

There are a few decent Japanese drivers in Formula 3, but I do not think they have shown enough potential for an IndyCar team to give them any kind of look. Perhaps if they moved to the Road to Indy there could be a greater chance of landing a ride at some point in the future. But, if no Japanese driver enters the series before Sato retires, it will be the first time since 2001 that no Japanese driver started the Indy 500, the first time since 1997 that no Japanese driver attempted to qualify for the Indy 500, and the first time since 1989 that no Japanese driver started a race in IndyCar.
        I would say to keep an eye on Nobu Matsushita (the driver, not the chef). He is a Honda supported driver who seems to have hit a ceiling and at 25 is not likely to make Formula 1. He is currently driving for Carlin in F2.

The consensus best Japanese driver connected to Honda at the moment would likely be Noaki Yamamoto. He won both Super Formula and SuperGt last year. However, he is 31 and is not likely to move from Japan according to my Japanese colleagues. He is in line to get an FP1 ride for either Red Bull or Toro Rosso at Suzuka this season. I have heard that if Honda gets serious about WEC, he would be on the short list of sports car drivers.

Comment

Santino mentioned he has spoken to a couple of teams who had thought he was signed for 2020. I'm guessing those were RLL and Andretti. Given that he enjoys his current situation with Bourdais and Cannon, I can't imagine he would consider Carlin, ECR, or Foyt--other teams that haven't solidified their 2020 drivers. And I have to think that if he loses Marcus, Schmidt's first choice would be Nasr.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake speare View Post
            Santino mentioned he has spoken to a couple of teams who had thought he was signed for 2020. I'm guessing those were RLL and Andretti. Given that he enjoys his current situation with Bourdais and Cannon, I can't imagine he would consider Carlin, ECR, or Foyt--other teams that haven't solidified their 2020 drivers. And I have to think that if he loses Marcus, Schmidt's first choice would be Nasr.
            He has probably also spoken to Ganassi. I do not think Dixon has any intention of exercising it at this point, but the word in the paddock is Dixon has an Opt-out option at Ganassi. It is possible that McLaren might make another run at him if Honda does not let McLaren partner with Andretti.

Comment

I think it's about time we started this thread:

https://racer.com/2019/08/07/ferrucc...ions-for-2020/

https://racer.com/2019/08/07/rll-clo...tent=home-hero

What are the odds Conor Daly gets the Air Force to throw money at this supposed third RLL car? Just a thought.
              More likely RLLR has found someone to fund Colton Herta, Nasr, Ericsson, Ferucci or Matsushita.

Don't sleep on the possibility of Herta not being in the series next season. That is more possible than is generally thought. Powerful, mysterious forces are at work.

Comment

According to David Land, Foyt is looking at replacing Leist with....HELIO CASTRONEVES!!!
                Rest in peace, Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Don't sleep on the possibility of Herta not being in the series next season. That is more possible than is generally thought. Powerful, mysterious forces are at work.
                  That would be an awful look for the series to lose both Herta and O'Ward after one season (or half season in O'Ward's case).

Comment

Originally posted by raskav View Post
                    According to David Land, Foyt is looking at replacing Leist with....HELIO CASTRONEVES!!!
                    Not happening in my opinion. It just doesn't make sense for Castroneves or Foyt. I believe Castroneves should run the Indy 500 for Penske this year making his 20th start and taking one last shot at four wins. It would be a nice farewell race and ensures that he doesn't just get completely shoved out of the series unwillingly as he kind of was by Roger after 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle View Post

More likely RLLR has found someone to fund Colton Herta, Nasr, Ericsson, Ferucci or Matsushita.

Veekay has a bunch of funding too. Logical landing spot for him at RLLR, or if Askew uses his check here along with some other funding if he is able to secure it. They really like Colin Braun (the if pigs fly possibility) and Nasr though as well.
                      "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Originally posted by gottastayfly View Post

Veekay has a bunch of funding too. Logical landing spot for him at RLLR, or if Askew uses his check here along with some other funding if he is able to secure it. They really like Colin Braun (the if pigs fly possibility) and Nasr though as well.
                        That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Comment

Hasn’t Kanaan and Helio always wanted to be teammates?
                          GO COLTS!!!

Comment

Not happening in my opinion. It just doesn't make sense for Castroneves or Foyt. I believe Castroneves should run the Indy 500 for Penske this year making his 20th start and taking one last shot at four wins. It would be a nice farewell race and ensures that he doesn't just get completely shoved out of the series unwillingly as he kind of was by Roger after 2017.
                            well, according to David Land, Helio is not happy with sports cars. And he really wants to race Indycars full time again.
                            How much does Helio miss driving Indycars? He is driving two-seaters! nuff said.
                            Rest in peace, Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011

Comment

well, according to David Land, Helio is not happy with sports cars. And he really wants to race Indycars full time again.
                              How much does Helio miss driving Indycars? He is driving two-seaters! nuff said.
                              I'm curious about DL's sources. Does he have any?
                              "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X