No announcement yet.

Jim Ayello moved off Indystar Indycar beat to Colts beat. No new writer named

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Ayello moved off Indystar Indycar beat to Colts beat. No new writer named

I think Ayello was a good writer FWIW but I hope they still plan to have an Indycar writer.

Some personal news: My role at@indystaris changing. Starting later this week, I’ll be joining @JoelAErickson on the Colts beat. While I can’t wait to get going, I have to say thanks to all the people who have helped make the past three years covering @IndyCar so rewarding.

I have worked with and met some incredible people along the way and was privileged to share a few of their stories. For those who have followed along, thank you so much. I couldn’t have asked for a more passionate fan base to write for.

As I transition into my new role,
    @ConorDaly22
    and I will continue to bring you the #IndyCarWeekly podcast after each race, and I’ll continue to assist with our motorsports coverage until IndyStar finds my replacement.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

John Oreovicz?
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Covering Indycar is a 6 month job with two weeks of serious activity in May and
      Ayello's coverage was basically Curt Cavin and various team press releases under a different name.

Maybe Gannett will hire Robin Miller back
      Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
        John Oreovicz?
        If he'd work for the Indiana minimum wage (currently $7.25/hr) I suspect Gannett would go for it.
        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
          John Oreovicz?
          Indystar doesn't need a dinosaur.

I think it was a quick move since Zak Keefer left Indystar pretty recently to join The Athletic with seemingly every other sports media writer in America.
          "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

Originally posted by Doyouloveit? View Post

The Athletic
            Isn't that where Kravitz wound up after getting flushed by WTHR?

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post

Isn't that where Kravitz wound up after getting flushed by WTHR?
              Yes. Stephen Holder joined as well.
              "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

I thought I heard that Gannett had been purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by BretEarl View Post
                  I thought I heard that Gannett had been purchased.
                  Correct..by GateHouse Media

"In recent years, GateHouse Media has shrunk newsrooms while pursuing shareholder value, in part by consolidating operations in regional hubs and merging newspapers."

Comment

Originally posted by Doyouloveit? View Post

Indystar doesn't need a dinosaur.

I think it was a quick move since Zak Keefer left Indystar pretty recently to join The Athletic with seemingly every other sports media writer in America.
                    As a recovering sports writer, I would advise people thinking about joining The Athletic to read up on the history of "The National".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_Sports_Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle View Post

As a recovering sports writer, I would advise people thinking about joining The Athletic to read up on the history of "The National".

The Athletic puts out some quality work. I joined when Jeff Gluck moved over there, and have found his work remains good and discovered quite a bit of stick and ball content. For many sports writers, there really aren't many other options. Anyone with a "name" that's getting offered an actual paycheck to keep writing about sports has to serious consider ANY offer, especially one outside of traditional newspapers. Even if it doesn't last forever, it's buying them more years in an ever contracting business.
                      We flipped our finger to the King of England
                      Stole our country from the Indians
                      With god on our side and guns in our hands
                      We took it for our own!

Comment

I just signed up for the Athletic this week. There was a well written write up about the fact that the PGA tour event in/near Detroit next year is on the same weekend as the Detroit GP.

Comment

Sad. Jim was really coming on his own and was only covering Indycar for 3-4 years. This is probably a great career move for Jim and a more stable one so congrats to him.
                          "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Not sure a print publication and an online subscription site are an apples to apples comparison. The Athletic has coverage of niche sports superior to the print industries coverage of the big 3.

Comment

The Athletic has been putting out successful product for three years on a modern platform. Its a way better place for a writer than any print job today. Comparing it to the National is absurd.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X