Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article in Toronto Globe and Mail on Wickens and his rehab

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rt-wickens-is/

One thing I didn't know until this piece is apparently the black box was destroyed in the wreck. He hit at 184 mph but all data after that was lost.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Thanks! The last paper I would have thought would write anything on IndyCar or Toronto was the Globe considering they're national. I would have missed this without you posting the link. As for The Toronto Star shame on them for publishing NOTHING today. Zero, zip. They only did 5 page spreads until recently and haven't in 2 years. The Toronto Sun which used to run 30-40 page supplements in the 80s, 90s and during Champ Car didn't. There's 1 count 'em 1 article from Ian Shantz on Marcus which is odd as let's face it he's not a star or real threat yet anywhere. Yesterday they did a Wickens piece. The coverage they do and likely the Star's will only be a piece on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's a far cry from when the media was 100% behind the event.

EDIT: The National Post ran Ian Shantz's Erricson piece that originated in The Toronto Sun. Directly below it there is a color ad for the Toronto Indy with Stadium Super Trucks leaping into the air and a NASCAR and IndyCar below them. The Toronto Sun has been running that same ad in color daily. Nothing in the Star that I've seen in terms of advertising.
    Last edited by Jonewfan; 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Great piece. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
          Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Wow, what a great piece.
            "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

10/10 article, thanks for sharing!
              World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Friggin great article. What an inspiration.
                All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

What an inspirational couple. They amaze me.

A fabulous article. Reminds me of the famous Foyt piece in The National, this one might even be better.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Wow, just wow!

Comment

I scanned this thread, hoping someone would have quoted a piece of info they found interesting. Having just read the article, I think I know why nobody has done that yet. Every word of this article is a must-read. It's not filler with a quotable sentence or two. It is gut-wrenching and dramatic, and I will admit that I had to stop reading at one point because I couldn't read through the liquid forming in my eyes. Must be allergies.

PHENOMENAL story-telling/writing here.

Comment

He's something special for sure!
                        2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
                        2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
                        2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
                        2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
                        2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback on this article, I'm the photographer and sort of co-writer although Grant did an amazing job with the content I provided him with. If anyone is interested, I actually pitched a story about two Canadian drivers on the same team AND being really good friends. How odd is that? It felt a bit like Hunt talking about Villeneuve from the race in Trois Rivere to help him get to McLaren and then Ferrari. Originally that angle did not really take. Sadly though when Rob had his accident, I modified the pitch to include the challenges of recovery, of racing for a team owner that himself sustained massive injuries and is a quadriplegic. I spoke of Hinch's accident, friendship etc and in the end The Globe were amazing and provided great support for this piece. It was amazing to see how hard Rob worked at rehab and how supportive Karli is. You can't do this on your own. Will he race in Indy car again? I have no idea but I do know or believe that he will race again. Thank you all again for the kind words and for taking the time to read it. If anyone is interested I have a bigger edit of images on my website: davidgoldmanphoto.com that you can check out. I'm also posting more images and BTS shots on my instagram: @thedavidgoldmanphoto

David Goldman

Comment

An excellent article. All the best to Robert and Karli.

Comment

As everyone has said, fantastic article. I really admire Rob’s courage and determination to heal. Also to Karli: way to stand by your man. They’re not married yet but she is fulfilling the traditional vow of “in sickness and in health.” Not everyone would do that.
                              Reason is not automatic. Those who do not believe in it cannot be conquered by it. And, the trouble with being punctual is that there is nobody there to appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X