Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any consideration for moving Texas before May?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any consideration for moving Texas before May?

It would give the series an oval race before Indianapolis 500, possibly a primetime preview on national TV. Just trying to think outside the box a little.
    "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

I see why you say this and in some way I agree but I think the reason why why Texas is success is because it's held at the same time every year. This enables fans to prepare predictably when the race will be going on plus it also gives Indycar and their teams a good idea how the weather and everything else well be. Sure weather is never the same from year to year but jumping back from the beginning of June to April is a big. I just took a quick glance at the temperature differences and Dallas in April averages 77 degrees but in June it's 92. That could change the way the cars have been performing. So again, I get where you're coming from but it does leave some things that might have a negative affect on the race as well.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

I remember the Fall race used to be on OU-texas weekend (usually around Columbus Day). Doubtful they would move it earlier since the Cup race is in April. Weather can always be iffy in April.

Comment

In a word, no.

If they add an oval before Indy in the next couple of years, its likely to be Homestead. Indy Car race on Saturday night. Cup race on Sunday. They need each other in the South Florida market.

Comment

I would like to see Fontana lead off with a USAC/early CART style Twin 200 miler, both races counting towards the championship. It would be great to have Homestead maybe third, with St. Petersburg being second.

Off topic, but I would like to see a restoration of the Silver Crown with the Michigan 500 and that really hyped up.

Comment

I'd like to see Sandra Bullock up close and 'Au Naturale' but I doubt that's going to happen, either.
            "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think so. April is out due to NASCAR spring race. Likely so is March as TMS wants that 2 month window between races.

And I'm with Hito on date equity for TMS....and Long Beach and St Pete.
              (now Eddie would likely agree to move Texas up a week to be right after Indy).

Sadly, Phoenix might have fit into the early timeframe (as in long past history)....
              BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

As much as I've always enjoyed the Texas races (and still do), i'm not sure what the value of "date equity" is at this point. The crowd on Saturday night continues a very bad trend over the past decade. What was once a great 90,000+ crowd now looks to be ~30-45,000. Those are likely the most ardent/hardcore IndyCar supporters. I don't think a date move that would help the schedule would affect that.
                All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                  I don't think so. April is out due to NASCAR spring race. Likely so is March as TMS wants that 2 month window between races.

And I'm with Hito on date equity for TMS....and Long Beach and St Pete.
                  (now Eddie would likely agree to move Texas up a week to be right after Indy).

Sadly, Phoenix might have fit into the early timeframe (as in long past history)....
                  If memory serves, he wanted to be the race after the 500, but didn't want to move a week earlier. So, unless that has changed (or my memory is faulty), I imagine he'd want the race to stay where it is.
                  Eff LBD!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                    ..(now Eddie would likely agree to move Texas up a week to be right after Indy)....
                    I doubt Eddie would agree to move Texas forward a week. Over the years he has been very vocal about wanting Texas to be the first race after the 500, but he has also been adamant that he needs two-weeks to build up the event following Indy.

Comment

what's the obsession with an oval before May?

Comment

Originally posted by Buellboy View Post

I doubt Eddie would agree to move Texas forward a week. Over the years he has been very vocal about wanting Texas to be the first race after the 500, but he has also been adamant that he needs two-weeks to build up the event following Indy.
                        Diminishing crowd may mean diminishing promotion so the move could make sense for him. When was the last time he was officially asked?
                        "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

The series (and teams) probably don't want Texas to be before Indianapolis either. Owing to the fact that a crash-filled Texas race (something that's happened several times) would be very costly and set the teams back going into the important month of May.

Something like that happened in 2001 at Atlanta. A huge crash tore up a lot of equipment just two weeks before opening day at Indy.
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Airbox View Post
                            what's the obsession with an oval before May?
                            Not having one appears to cheapen their Indy 500 experience.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post

Diminishing crowd may mean diminishing promotion so the move could make sense for him. When was the last time he was officially asked?
                              Last year, when they negotiated the current contract. Eddie is Firm with the race being 2 weeks after the 500.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X