X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulman & Company Sells Clabber Girl to Concentrate on Motorsports

https://www.ibj.com/articles/73777-h...on-motorsports

Big Announcement #1? IBiI

It was always a strange pairing, motor sports and baking products.

I wonder if they have big plans for the monetary infusion? Major upgrades at IMS?
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

This surprises me a little. Motorsports (esp. IndyCar) seems to be a struggling business, and I always assumed Clabber Girl was Hulman Co.'s "stable half."
      Racing is shedding fans; baking products aren't going away any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post
        This surprises me a little. Motorsports (esp. IndyCar) seems to be a struggling business, and I always assumed Clabber Girl was Hulman Co.'s "stable half."
        I'm with you, I am shocked by this too.
        World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post
          Agreed. Can't say it any better, so I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post

I wonder if they have big plans for the monetary infusion? Major upgrades at IMS?
            I've always assumed the Clabber Girl business was what had initially bankrolled the HG clan's initial investment in racing and what had contributed to it for decades. international competition and I'd guess declining market share made that decision.

Comment

One of the big food conglomerates offered them pretty stupid money for it.
              Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Maybe the immediate need for funds outweighs the long term dividends

Comment

When I initially read the headline for the story the first thing I said was, "Wow..." I'm honestly kind of shocked by this

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Red5 View Post

I've always assumed the Clabber Girl business was what had initially bankrolled the HG clan's initial investment in racing and what had contributed to it for decades. international competition and I'd guess declining market share made that decision.
                    Lots of assumptions and guesses.
                    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

Lower ticket prices? Free NBC Gold to Trackforum members?
                      "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

A lot of angst from members who thought they would be selling Speedway and concentrate on their business. Motorsports and Entertainment is they key and they have some big plans for the place and the surrounding area.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
                          One of the big food conglomerates offered them pretty stupid money for it.
                          This. The food industry has a lot of private equity groups consolidating brands into portfolios that cover every aisle of the grocery.

I'll say this: I've always bought Clabber Girl when buying baking powder precisely because it supported the Speedway and IndyCar, even indirectly, and now I'm not likely to keep doing that.

Comment

Without knowing the motivation, and we may never.

It could be that most of the family want to take the cash from the Clabber Girl sale and leave TG and some on his side to have the racing business. If that's the case what I'd like to see is TG reverse the mistakes of the past and move forward. I think the mistake were selling out his interest in Chicagoland Speedway when he should have bought it. I would make a deal to get the promoter's rights at the Milwaukee Mile. Then keep working with NASCAR to have races at all three tracks and when the chances to buy more racetracks come around get them. Like PPIR, get ISC to undo the conditions that prevent major events and besides an Indycar race work on a Truck/Xfinity weekend aiming towards Cup. People always say it's too far from Denver, well ISC isn't going to build a track closer to Denver so this is the best way to get close to that major market and a major sports hub with MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL teams.

I wonder if the talk of NASCAR buying ISC might lead the France family to sell a track or two to someone in the racing business for the long term. Add MIS to the list and IMS could have a Midwest concentration of tracks. If IMS owned more tracks NASCAR could be confident of keeping those tracks on the NASCAR schedule just as there is little conflict with the SMI owned tracks or Pocono.

If IMS owned more racetracks it would stabilize the Indycar schedule so that along with several other long term venues there wouldn't be the lack of ovals and they could take a harder line when promoters come up in new cities.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

I'm hoping they infuse the pathetic purse for the '500 with some much needed additional cash.
                              World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Working...
                              X