Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indycar Spring Vacation - does it really make sense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indycar Spring Vacation - does it really make sense?

I know it's a lot of work to prep for the two IMS races, but having this 4 week gap seems like a great way to disappear from view.
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Its doesn't make any sense but because we couldn't' make Phoenix work it is what it is. And I'm not sure where else we could go at this point.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

I guess if I were a smaller team that was connected to a larger team like McLaren and Belard I guess I would appreciate this time off. It would help me connect with the teams without having to worry about a race interrupting things. I do agree though, 4 weeks is a bit much and should be cut down.
      "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

Restore the former quality of the oval product so that people will actually pay to see it again, and schedule Homestead.
        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

It would be nice to have an oval before the 500.

Somebody throw us a bone.
          "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

They did. Unfortunately, it was a bone of contention.
            "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

The teams are about to have one of their most hectic two months. The Indy GP, Indy Qualifying, Indy 500, A Double Header weekend, and then Texas, one week break, and then Road America.

Give the teams a few weekends to prepare before that 6 race stretch and a stressful qualifying weekend.

As fans, we need to think a little less of ourselves and needs sometimes.

Comment

At one time, they started having some reservations about holding [high speed] oval races in April, because there was a few times in which they had some big wrecks and tore up a lot of equipment just before they're supposed to head to Indy. It set some teams behind going into the month of May. Atlanta 2001 was one of them.
                Doctorindy.com

Comment

Don't forget that ALL the full timers and many part timers will be in attendance at the April 24th test, So it really isn't a Spring Break.
                  Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

I don't think the late Easter date this year has helped either.

Comment

How about adding Mexico in early March, moving St Pete to late March, and moving Barber to late April?

Comment

Originally posted by NaBUru38 View Post
                        How about adding Mexico in early March, moving St Pete to late March, and moving Barber to late April?
                        Not a bad suggestion. I would even like it if the race in Mexico was at the oval in Puebla, Autódromo Internacional Miguel E. Abed, so that the series gets an oval race in before Indy.

Late Feb/Early March - Mexico
                        Early March - COTA (or make COTA first and then the Mexico race but keep together on back-to-back weekends for easier travel)
                        Late March - St. Pete
                        Early to Mid April - Long Beach
                        Late April -Barber

Comment

This break wasn't by choice either. IIRC, Barber wanted/needed a change because Talladega is on the 28th and less than 40 miles away, St Pete needed a date change as their schedule has other events to work around, and Long Beach basically had no choice but to go against the Masters because Easter is very late this year which has been discussed ad nauseum in previous schedule discussions for a couple of years now. The late april make up date for the IMS test last year was actually much better for the teams, conveniently filled a gap and effectively stretched the month of May a week.

Mexico has felt like a total dead end and non starter. IIRC, Phoenix was going to be a date problem this year even if it had been a successful return to the schedule. This week or next would probably be a good week for a race in Homestead before it gets too hot, yet far enough away from Daytona, St Pete and Sebring to pacify the Florida schedule is too crowded fans. Any other ovals have some form of a NASCAR conflict that could be worked out with a joint weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
                            Don't forget that ALL the full timers and many part timers will be in attendance at the April 24th test, So it really isn't a Spring Break.
                            Certainly the teams stay active via the test, but unless there is some major incident, I think they labor in obscurity.
                            I know F-1 does this in August, but it's sort of a European thing for everything to take a month off for holiday.
                            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Not ideal to have this many weekends off.

Comment

Working...
                              X