Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Uniden BC125AT scanner -- enhanced audio add-on for increased volume?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Uniden BC125AT scanner -- enhanced audio add-on for increased volume?

So I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Uniden Bearcat BC125AT when I stumbled across the following webp age:

https://racescanners.com/p/faq

In it is the following quote
    Note: All UNIDEN scanners built after 8/90 have the audio reduced through the headphone jack and will not drive headsets used in racing with a sufficient amount of volume. They must be modified internally to increase the volume to a sufficient level. We sell volume modified scanners and offer the modifications to those that have unmodified scanners.
    With shipping, buying from the Race Scanners sidte is gonna add almost $50 to the scanner cost over the one from Amazon ($95 vs $145). This seems pretty excessive.
    https://racescanners.com/products/un...racing-scanner

I plan on using Koss QZ-99 noise reduction over the ear headphones. Anyone have any thoughts? I fee like I can just buy the scanner from Amazon and it test how loud it gets. Any thoughts or experiences with the unit?

Thanks!

I bought this exact scanner last year. I bought it thru Ebay and used just regular earbuds and could hear it just fine. It was interesting during yellows.

Comment

I bought one through Amazon and hate the low audio out put. Good radio despite that. I have other scanners although I did waste 80 bucks at RE yesterday before the race thinking that was the problem and of course I will be returning the headphones.
      RIP Justin! WWJCD

Comment

If I am satisfied with the volume level of a BC75XLT then I would be satisfied with the volume level of a BC125AT, right?

Comment

Originally posted by uh_clem View Post
          If I am satisfied with the volume level of a BC75XLT then I would be satisfied with the volume level of a BC125AT, right?
          My BC XLT 72 has better volume than the BC 125 AT. I will be using the 72 for races again and the 125 for other purposes.

RIP Justin! WWJCD

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Grigson View Post
            I bought one through Amazon and hate the low audio out put. Good radio despite that. I have other scanners although I did waste 80 bucks at RE yesterday before the race thinking that was the problem and of course I will be returning the headphones.
            I found some after market headphone amplifiers that could be of use for you and much less expensive than either new headphones or the mod version of the scanner itself:

BoomStick Psychoacoustic Portable Amp and Audio Enhancer - Silver
            https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKBOX8G/?coliid=I1K6NQO59JVUM3&colid=24C859B3T4VY0&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Upbeat Audio T613-BNC Boostaroo for All Audio Application

https://www.amazon.com/Upbeat-Audio-...tronics&sr=1-1

Comment

I was going to get the same scanner and just saw this. Now you have me second guessing.

Comment

The audio adapter looks like it is worth a try.
                RIP Justin! WWJCD

Comment

Originally posted by 10point View Post
                  I was going to get the same scanner and just saw this. Now you have me second guessing.
                  Sorry! I am the absolute champion of analysis paralysis!!!

Comment

That's the scanner I have now. Yes I have the volume as high as it will go at 15 and the ancient headphones turned up all the way and I can hear fine. This is no different than the old sportcat200? that it replaced. I wish it was louder so as to allow some adjustment in it but it's loud enough at any race or track. It's a huge step up from the sportcat in that you can program the frequencies on a computer and transfer to the scanner and it uses AA batteries same as my digital camera and the rechargeable ones last a long time. The battery packs of the old one recharged in the scanner and it quit recharging which is why I needed the new one.
                    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                    "They're criminals"
                    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Grigson View Post

My BC XLT 72 has better volume than the BC 125 AT.
                      I'm not familiar with that one.

Comment

I'm leaning on going with the BC 125 AT + Boosteroo combo.

Comment

I’m thinking about replacing mine because the last few races I’ve attended it has only worked when my head has been facing in a particular direction. What the hell would cause that?
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2008 5A Football State Champs
                          2015 6A Football State Champs
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

I have the BC125AT, too; purchased online. I use a pair of Bose over-the-ear, noise-cancelling headphones and everything is peachy. TBH, before I bought the Bose headphones, I had inexpensive, in-ear, noise-cancelling headphones and they worked fine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by thedan666 View Post
                              I'm leaning on going with the BC 125 AT + Boosteroo combo.
                              Sounds like your head + headphones is acting as part of the antenna system. I'd get a new antenna. Yes, your head can do this:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tec...care-rem-83663

Comment

Working...
                              X