Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a "pass block" that PT mentioned (referring to Robby Gordon)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a "pass block" that PT mentioned (referring to Robby Gordon)?

Soon followed by "the fade," referring to Scott Pruett.
    Are there other "moves" attributable to other drivers?

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
    I`m pretty sure these nickanames for driver moves are a Paul Tracy invention. I have never heard the term "Pruett Fade" from anyone other than him and this was the first time I had heard this Robby Gordon Pass Block term

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Paul's still trying to live down 'chrome horn' so he invents names for others.
      "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

I think what he was referencing is a pass where the overtaking driver just throws it down the inside and makes it impossible for the other driver to counter attack by basically just blocking off the corner exit. It can be risky if a third car is close behind as the two cars will have very slow speeds through the corner and into the next section of the track

Comment

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post

I`m pretty sure these nickanames for driver moves are a Paul Tracy invention. I have never heard the term "Pruett Fade" from anyone other than him and this was the first time I had heard this Robby Gordon Pass Block term
          I believe Tommy Kendall may have coined the Pruett Fade during their Trans-Am days.

I think "block pass" is as described prior, essentially the road racing version of an oval slide job, i.e. drive it in deep to make the pass, sacrificing your mid corner and exit speed, but in doing so positioning your car in front of the car you passed, in the racing line, so that the car now behind must lift to avoid hitting you, or try to cross over on the exit to get you back at the next corner. It is also effective in motocross/ supercross, and also referred to as a block pass.
          "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

I think full credit for 'Pruett Fade' goes to Tracy. I've heard him use it several times. Fading back to the racing line after blocking the inside line is my interpretation of it. I've never really heard Bell throw darts at former competitors but he may well have.

Pass Block gone wrong... or did it:

See below.
            "I don't have eyes in the back of my head!!!" -- Helio Castro-Neves

Comment

"I don't have eyes in the back of my head!!!" -- Helio Castro-Neves

Comment

Thoughts of how Robby Gordon would handle the last few corners of a race around Long Beach made me think of this moment.

Comment

Working...
                X