Race scanner advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race scanner advice.

Planning on attending the Indy Grand Prix. I've been to a number of IndyCar races including the 500 but this time I am going to buy a scanner instead of renting. Looking for advice on the best performing brand/type. Cost is a factor but not the most important.

No specific recommendation as to brand. My advice is don't scrimp on the headphones...spend a few bucks extra to get good noise isolation.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

I agree that choosing good headphones can make a big difference. I have these from Racing Electronics and really like them. https://racingelectronics.com/collec...o-re-58-stereo

Comment

I quit using the over the ear style as shown above. Just use ear buds now, no issues. I replaced old scanner with one I bought from Racing Electronics, they program "over the air". It is nice not lugging around the big headset, much cooler as well.

Comment

I'm watching this thread because I think I'm ready for an update too. The last few races I've been to have had weird reception. When I look one direction the reception is good but when I look another it goes totally silent. Didn't bother me the first time but it has happened at multiple races in multiple locations.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2008 5A Football State Champs
          2015 6A Football State Champs
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

This.

Anything you get from Racing Electronics should be ggod.
            @porscheman121 on Twitter #+200HP!
            237.498/241.428/242.333 Speeds from the olden days!

Comment

The gold standard today is the Racing Electronics RE3000. This is the over-the-air programmable scanner. If you monitor eBay, RE will often sell "retired" RE3000 units from their rental fleet for a good savings. They'll have a few scratches and minor wear on them, but nothing major. At Indy, get within 100 yards of the RE trailer and you can pick up their programming signal. At Indycar races that RE doesn't have a trailer, just hunt around near the Indycar officials trailers in the Paddock and you'll find the same signal that the teams and officials use to update their scanners over-the-air.

I've ditched the headphones in favor of noise reducing ear buds. The ones I use and like are the Ruckus Earplug Earbuds. They are silicone earbuds instead of the squish-and-insert foam earbuds. You can get them off of Amazon for $20.

Comment

If you already have earbuds that you like, you can use the shooting earmuffs over them comfortably.

Comment

Lots of good advice. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmologist View Post
                    The gold standard today is the Racing Electronics RE3000. This is the over-the-air programmable scanner. If you monitor eBay, RE will often sell "retired" RE3000 units from their rental fleet for a good savings. They'll have a few scratches and minor wear on them, but nothing major. At Indy, get within 100 yards of the RE trailer and you can pick up their programming signal. At Indycar races that RE doesn't have a trailer, just hunt around near the Indycar officials trailers in the Paddock and you'll find the same signal that the teams and officials use to update their scanners over-the-air.

I've ditched the headphones in favor of noise reducing ear buds. The ones I use and like are the Ruckus Earplug Earbuds. They are silicone earbuds instead of the squish-and-insert foam earbuds. You can get them off of Amazon for $20.
                    You just cost me $20....ordered a pair, will let you know opinion.
                    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Do any of the scanners allow bluetooth connection to headphones?
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2008 5A Football State Champs
                      2015 6A Football State Champs
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Working...
                      X