Tim Cindric or Roger Penske?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Cindric or Roger Penske?

Tim Cindric and Josef Newgarden's team made a race winning decision of the set of red and staying out longer on the second stint at St. Pete. This beg a question...

Who would you rather have a your team strategist - Tim Cindric or Roger Penske.

That one is pretty tough call. I think I would go with Tim right now.

Tim Cindric
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Tim Cindric
      Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Tim Cindric

Comment

Tim Cindric
          KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

Comment

I would also go with Cindric. However, if you're WP, how would you respectfully request a change at the race strategist position when that position is held by The Captain himself? I think the answer is, "you don't".

Comment

To call the race for me, Tim Cindric. To build a team, or virtually any other business for that matter, Roger Penske.
              "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Cindric, though this question made me think of a more in depth question of what type of sabermetrics (I know that is really a baseball term, but you get the idea) do they use in strategizing both before races and on the fly when conditions change? That would be a pretty interesting thing to see.

Comment

Roger Penske, just because he's one very cool old dude!

Comment

Originally posted by doug251 View Post
                    Cindric, though this question made me think of a more in depth question of what type of sabermetrics (I know that is really a baseball term, but you get the idea) do they use in strategizing both before races and on the fly when conditions change? That would be a pretty interesting thing to see.
                    Whatever analytics is used, it seems minimal. There really is no reason in this day and age to bring someone in early and to have that driver end up trapped behind some slower driver on an alternate strategy. It was being caught behind Marco that killed Will’s chances of winning. It seems teams have little idea where they will end up after bringing a car in for a normal stop.

Comment

Strictly on race strategy? Cindric by a mile.

Comment

Cindric .....Helio stopped winning multiple races a year after Briscoe got canned and Roger decided to switch Cindric over to Power and took over the spot on Helio's box.....making him underachieving. Honestly, the only driver in the last 20 years to consistently win beyond the year Briscoe almost won the championship with Penske on the box is deFerran. Coincidence?
                        2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
                        2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
                        2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
                        2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
                        2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Comment

1 thing to remember here, Penske #1 goal is to win the race. They always put teams on different strategies. Honestly what other call did Cendric have to give his driver a shot at victory? At the same time, if RP does not bring in Power and the caution flys (as has happened so many times to Will) he loses. I don't think either made a bad call, Power just got held up.

Comment

Originally posted by 767 View Post
                            1 thing to remember here, Penske #1 goal is to win the race. They always put teams on different strategies.......
                            This is especially true at Indianapolis. Penske has always run different strategies for his cars which increase the chances of at least one of his cars being in contention at the end. That's the main reason he doesn't mind running a fourth car for Castroneves again this year.

Comment

As a big Team Penske fan, I've sometimes lamented RP's strategy decisions during races during the past decade, but Power has been burned so many times by random cautions while leading, I can understand why they pitted him when they did. And he still came out ahead of everyone. It was losing the position to Rosenqvist on the restart which really set him back. If he holds him off, who knows what happens.

It's worth noting, I guess, that Power won the Indy GP and Indy 500 last year, and Roger didn't call his races. And likely won't again this year. He's been on Helio's car when Helio is there. He did call the win at Gateway, though, and made the smart call there (everyone had been puttering around to maintain fuel windows and RP decided Power should just go all out and forget about fuel, and it won them the race).
                              Power #12 (2014 Champ, 2018 Indy 500 Winner) - Pagenaud #22 (2016 Champ) - Newgarden #1 (2017 Champ)

Comment

Responsive 1

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X