Somewhat on topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat on topic

We were out at the local sports pub watching the olympics tonight when NBC did a promo for this weekends Daytona Race. The on-going debate as to whether or not racers are atheletes came up.

I know I'm just an amatuer racer but just for the chance to be competitive at the local kart track, I'm trainig 6 nights a week(3 nights tread mill, 3 nights weights) This is just for racing at the local level, I've seen articles and short documentaries on the training regimines the world class drivers go through, so you'll know my vote goes to the fact that racers are atheletes.

But since I may be a bit biased, I'm asking for the opinion of my friends here on TF as to whether or not you think that racers are atheletes, Thanks in advance!

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: BSJracing ]
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Not a lot of people realize how fit the drivers have to be. Most of the general public thinks all the drivers do is get in the cars and go. Auto racing is a lot more physical than some of the sports that I know.
    He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan:
      <STRONG> Auto racing is a lot more physical than some of the sports that I know.</STRONG>
      I can testify that the Monday following a Sunday race, I have a difficult time lifting my arms!

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing:
        <STRONG>

I can testify that the Monday following a Sunday race, I have a difficult time lifting my arms!

</STRONG>
        I know Eddie Cheever, and now Tomas Scheckter, can attest to that as well. His training program maybe similar to yours, jusst a tad more rigorous.
        He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan:
          <STRONG>
          I know Eddie Cheever, and now Tomas Scheckter, can attest to that as well. His training program maybe similar to yours, jusst a tad more rigorous.</STRONG>
          Yeah, a tad more rigorous, BUT, their full time job is racing!!!!!

Comment

Anyone who straps themselves intoa ton of bucking metal and hauls it around Duquoin in 100 degree heat at 120 miles an hour for an afternoon, or sits in several layers of clothing in an oven for 3 hours at Darlington on Labor Day qualifies as just as much of an athlete as many of the athletes today.

John Kruk qualified as an athlete, I'd say most of our racers are too.
            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Athletes, without a doubt, and at the top levels, more fit than some of their counterparts in other sports.

Comment

Auto racing certainly takes a degree of physical training to do well in, but I think that alone doesn't automatically put race drivers in the same category of athletes as say football or basketball players. Racing is really in it's own "quasi sport" category and IMHO fits somewhere between a real sport and a side show.

Comment

Besides being fit physically there is also the Mental fittness it takes. A baseball player gets to sit down every few mintues while his team is at bat. Football 4 and out. Basketball 12 minutes tops, Boxing 3minutes at a time. A race car driver HOURS AT A TIME, even the pit stop takes total concentration.

Heywood
                  Bush: Quagmire Accomplished

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM:
                    <STRONG> Racing is really in it's own "quasi sport" category and IMHO fits somewhere between a real sport and a side show.</STRONG>
                    Don't take this the wrong way but only someone who has never drove racecars competitively would make that statement.
                    Catchy phrase here.

Comment

Originally posted by RevLimiter.com:
                      <STRONG>

Don't take this the wrong way but only someone who has never drove racecars competitively would make that statement.</STRONG>
                      Thanks Mark, the helmet fits great by the way, still using the Van K visor strip you sent too!

Comment

>>>Don't take this the wrong way but only someone who has never drove racecars competitively would make that statement.<<<

I'm not saying that racing doesn't require some physical and mental exertion, but that alone doesn't make racing a true sport. Anytime the car itself plays such a major role in the outcome, I think lot of people will have a hard time putting racing in the same category as traditional sports. Think about it, the most talented and best conditioned athlete on the grid can't win when his car "blowed up" and as long as that's the case you are going to have a tough time convincing most of the general public that racing is a sport.

I don't know why racing people get so touchy about the subject? Nobody is saying racing is easy and doesn't place huge demands upon the driver. Why can't we all be comfortable with the fact that racing fits into it's own unique category of "sport," much like like horse racing?

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: AdamM ]

Comment

Now a "blowed up" horse that would be interesting! I wonder what the odds would be at the track?
                          Catchy phrase here.

Comment

<STRONG>
                            I don't know why racing people get so touchy about the subject. Nobody is saying racing is easy and doesn't place huge demands upon the driver. Why can't we all be comfortable with the fact that racing fits into it's own unique category of "sport," much like like horse racing?</STRONG>
                            What I get "touchy" about is this, Someone who spends 10 seconds at a time running the 100 yard/meter dash is an athelete. At the end of running this distance he is sore, tired, and if a true competitor, he left EVERYTHING he PHYSICALLY had in that last 100 yards/meters.
                            I am touchy because after whatever distance my last race was, the fact that I have NOTHING left to give both PHYSICALLY/MENTALLY. I'm not bragging or anything here, but I've played all the major sports on an organized level, Football, Hockey, Basketball, and Baseball...All competitors in these sports would be considered as atheletes, But I've never been so drained as when running 50 laps in the season ending enduro at Sugar River Raceway, yet someone has the gaul to say I'm not an athlete.

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: BSJracing ]

Comment

<STRONG>I'm not saying that racing doesn't require some physical and mental exertion, but that alone doesn't make racing a true sport. </STRONG>

One of my old dictionaries defined "sport" as any form of competition.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X