Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting thing I didn't realize until today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting thing I didn't realize until today...

When Penske started testing over the winter for the IRL, he immediately began using #6 for de Ferran and #3 for Castroneves.

The #3 has been Little Al's number since he came to the IRL. There was no news about Galles having any trouble back then. Was this point brought up and I missed it. I'm surprised Galles/Unser let the #3 get away so easily to Penske.
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

I don't think Penske changed numbers until Galles released his numbers a few months ago.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Yeah, I though the number change was recent. When Penske first showed up, I seem to remember #66 being on one car?

Side Note: with the #3 in his pocket (that was easy), how much do you suppose Penske has offered Menard for the #2?

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Racemind ]

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
      "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

When Penske started testing, Helio donned the #9 car (now with PDM) and Gil had the #6 car. Once Galles left, he switched.
        He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

Originally posted by Racemind:
          <STRONG>When Penske first showed up, I seem to remember #66 being on one car?
          </STRONG>
          ....correct, Phoenix & Indy last year. Penske donned his old numbers from the early to middle 70's,....the #66 & #68.

A couple of names associated with those numbers that immeadiately come to mind are of course Mark Donohue, Gary Bettenhausen, Tom Sneva, Mike Hiss. Probably a couple more but that's all that hit me now!
          ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Ahhh, thanks, that must be what I was thinking of.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
            "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan:
              <STRONG>

A couple of names associated with those numbers that immeadiately come to mind are of course Mark Donohue, Gary Bettenhausen, Tom Sneva, Mike Hiss. Probably a couple more but that's all that hit me now! </STRONG>
              Gary B. might have sported #68..but I'll always remember him in the #7 on the day that the 500 was his-to-lose, and, dammit..it happened!

I think Penske's first #68 at Indianapolis was with David Hobbs, in '71.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan:
                <STRONG>When Penske started testing, Helio donned the #9 car (now with PDM) and Gil had the #6 car. Once Galles left, he switched.</STRONG>
                I think I do remember that now.....thanks.

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: IndyRob ]
                All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X