A reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A reminder

In another thread we find: "Whatever happened to the oft-quoted: "Buy the cars, show up and race"??"

Well, it happened and CART thumped the IRL quite handily. Now the cry of some is ban 'em, fine 'em, charge 'em more money to be at Indy...tsk, tsk...have you forgotton what TG said? Obviously you have.

"I kind of view all the CART car owners as potential IRL car owners at some point in the future."

Tony George
    USA TODAY 5/26/2000

Live with it...there will be one series and it will run at IMS...the only winners in this litle side journey in open wheel racing is Tony George and a few owners...

It's over...sit back and get used to what is happening...a lot of the old habits are still there right along with the old names...

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: hdolan ]

Originally posted by hdolan:
    <STRONG>Live with it...there will be one series and it will run at TMS...the only winners in this litle side journey in open wheel racing is Tony George and a few owners...

It's over...sit back and get used to what is happening...a lot of the old habits are still there right along with the old names...</STRONG>
    Don't you mean IMS???

I was thinking of you yesterday. You have been saying for years that there will eventually be one series, and it will run through IMS. Looks like your prophetic prediction is more and more coming to pass.
    DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Thanks Lee Roy...Freudian slip there...it will probably race at TMS also...

Comment

And MIS too I hope!!

I am all for one series, however we get there.

I miss the way things used to be, you know when we enjoyed the racing and didn't worry if the car had a CART, USAC, IRL or whatever sticker on the tub.

As Railbird says: "drop the flag...."

Comment

Howard, I think the more reasonable folks on this forum (myself included) still agree wholehardedly with the "Buy the equipment, show up, & race" dictum. Their (our) remedy for the spanking the IRL teams got in 2001 is for these teams to "kick it up another notch" as Emeril Lagasse says. In case it hasn't dawned on anyone yet, any attempt to put roadblocks in the way of teams from other series would constitute the dreaded "unfair advantage" that the IRL was formed to try and counteract.

Finally, think about this: if Buddy had caught and passed Juan in 2000, and Robby hadn't spun last year, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
          "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

The racing equivalent of a Chicago Cubs fan's rationalization of failure.

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan:
            <STRONG>Howard, I think the more reasonable folks on this forum (myself included) still agree wholehardedly with the "Buy the equipment, show up, & race" dictum. Their (our) remedy for the spanking the IRL teams got in 2001 is for these teams to "kick it up another notch" as Emeril Lagasse says. In case it hasn't dawned on anyone yet, any attempt to put roadblocks in the way of teams from other series would constitute the dreaded "unfair advantage" that the IRL was formed to try and counteract.

Finally, think about this: if Buddy had caught and passed Juan in 2000, and Robby hadn't spun last year, we wouldn't be having this discussion.</STRONG>
            Peter Olivola ([email protected])
            "Too dumb for opera
            too smart for NASCAR"

Comment

well, sam and Donnie B. topped the speed charts at INDY, so there is fair competition going on at IMS.

*****Side Note******

When Hemmelgarn, Panther, Kelly, and/or A.j. Shut out the CART guys, You ALL ARE GOING TO GET SUCH AN EARFUL ON YOUR MONITORS FROM ME.

Cub fans are Cub fans and like routing very much for the oft underdog.

What fun is routing for the Rams over the Pat's if you're not from St. Louis?

I'll stick with the CUBS, BEARS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, oh, and Donnie Beechler from Springfield, IL.
              "I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spotted some land" ~Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

A rampart is a bulwark!

Comment

The bulls?

yikes. The sox?

Yikes.

Go STL Cardinals. :P

Comment

I say ban em', unless they want to join your league full time.

Obviosuly Indy is the most important thing to CART.

You want to race at Indy..join the IRL full time.

CART teams are better than IRL teams. Ban them , and they will HAVE to become IRL teams. This would strengthen the IRL, and tank CART - one single open wheel series that would have a hope of something more than fringe acceptance.

The IRL superior management/formula + the CART superior teams
                  "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

What makes you think Montoya showed everything he had?

As far as Buhl spinning, at least he spun towards the end and not at the start.
                    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X