Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's the Obligatory Attendance Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the Obligatory Attendance Thread?

35,000 according to the Star

Crowd looked better than I expected.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

"If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

You started one TD, now live with it. If it gets ugly, I'll be back.

Comment

h
        Have a very blessed day!

Comment

35k?

If you have to ask, I believe that is generous.

My understanding is Gateway holds 60-65k

There was a section of stands in turn 1-2 that has to be around 10k that was closed.

IMO, this was the smallest crowd the IRL has had since Indy. I believed 25k would be generous.

I think Gateway is still fighting the poison pill they admitted dropping for years against the IRL while hosting CART races.

Comment

Really?! The very few times that they showed a decent crowd shot (you know something other than that shoot it at an angle and make it look like 100,000 shot) it looked much larger than the crowds for the past two years when they estimated twenty to twenty-five thousand.

In fact, I was thinking the same thing last night so I pulled out last year's race and the crowd last year looked much smaller.
            "they(NASCAR fans) know the difference between George Mack and Tony Stewart" - hdolan 8/31/02

Comment

Funny, funny, funny.

It was 3/4 through the race before I even thought to look that the stands. I was too busy watching the race because it was so good. That tells me it doesn't matter. The fact that the racing was so good means the attendance thing will take care of itself as soon as the IRL gets a decent marketing plan. The rest of the ingredients are in place, oiled, adjusted and fine tuned.
              "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

35,000 puts it right there with Milwaukee. Maybe Mr. pook will need to amend his prior statement.

Comment

I was there and the crowd looked bigger than last year to me.

Comment

Well, we all know that Matt was in the infield, looking directly at the stands, so he couldn't have had as good a view as we did at home - especially considering that a head-on view of the stands was NEVER SHOWN on TV. And, he's probably an IRL detractor with a pro-CART agenda to boot...
                    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter:
                      <STRONG>Well, we all know that Matt was in the infield, looking directly at the stands, so he couldn't have had as good a view as we did at home - especially considering that a head-on view of the stands was NEVER SHOWN on TV. And, he's probably an IRL detractor with a pro-CART agenda to boot... </STRONG>
                      Now that's funny. I do remember the thread that you are referring to. You crack me up RW!
                      IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I can't say for sure whether there were 35,000, but it definitely looked fuller than last year (and growth is what's important).

I trust Cavin's estimates, because his estimates are always somewhere between Robin Miller's and overzealous IRL fans'.

My question is: Why was this race on ESPN? Our ABC affiliate (Indy) had basically nothing on all day until the LL World Series at 6 EDT.
                        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Gee Racewriter, I was just a little surprised by Matt's post, that's all.

Last night I was pretty excited because I was thinking that we had a larger crowd than last year and I was figuring that since the place holds 65,000 and my guess was that it was half full that the attendance was somewhere around thirty to thirty-five thousand and then the papers came out this morning saying 35,000 so I figured that was pretty cool and a good thing for the IRL.

But again Racewriter, I am sorry that I shared my opinion. Please forgive my insolence.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: TinPusher ]
                          "they(NASCAR fans) know the difference between George Mack and Tony Stewart" - hdolan 8/31/02

Comment

originally posted by Matt-OTN

There was a section of stands in turn 1-2 that has to be around 10k that was closed.
                            Those seats in 2 have never seen the bottom of anyones *ss. They were installed to try and attract a WC date.

Turn 1 seats looked pretty full, they usually don't put a lot of people ther unless the main stretch grandstands are pretty full. You can't see anything in rows 1-15 on the main stretch so those seats aren't used often. From the few views I saw, it could have been 35k.

And Yes, I'm a Cart fan but w/o an agenda for this race.
                            Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by TinPusher:
                              <STRONG>But again Racewriter, I am sorry that I shared my opinion. Please forgive my insolence.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: TinPusher ]</STRONG>
                              Wasn't aimed at you specifically, TinPusher. Sorry if you took it that way. You did just state your opinion. IndyIRLman knows exactly where I'm coming from...
                              "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X