X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mears and alcohol

This one is hard for me to take:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/rac/irl/news...lcoholism.html

Maybe I'm the last to know, and maybe it's been discussed elsewhere, but Ihate to hear that Rick Mears has any problems.

The last line of the article in the above link is the most difficult. I always thought that, of all the classy things Rick brought to the sport, Chris was one of the most classy.

I guess none of us is immune to the hazards and pitfalls of life.I wish him well.
    Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger:
      <STRONG>I guess none of us is immune to the hazards and pitfalls of life.I wish him well.</STRONG>
      Without question or reservation, I also wish Rick well.

I guess I have some problems with the current trend to air all one's problems in public. People seem to feel that public acknowledgment is required. I'm not sure whether this is the best way to go. Is a little "touchy-feely" worth the loss of our ability to respect the great accomplishments of the human spirit, even though that spirit may be flawed?

Do we add to the value and strength of the human spirit by constantly dwelling on our limitations as human beings? Is it necessary to tear down every icon? Point out each and every flaw?

I'm for accentuating the positive without nit-picking every teensy negative for the sake of filling up some cheap tabloid's pages with drivel.

In this case, Rick Mears is a solid contributor not only to Indy Car racing, but to the human spirit. He is the Joe DiMaggio of racing. But I see that they've dis-MANTLED Joe and Mick and the Babe, too.

I just think it's an unnecessary and [email protected] shame. It's come to the place where we're allowing every little cheap shot artist with a pencil and a byline to tear down people who have made real contributions to the advancement of the human spirit.

A few intact and healthy heroes never hurt any race or society. The need to belittle everyone who sticks his head an inch above the sewer is a sickness that we need to find some way to cure. It's much more dangerous to our society than a couple beers, or a couple hundred beers, by Rick Mears or Al Unser.

Comment

Oldtimer, I'll agree with you to a point... the point being, from the way the article reads, Rick Mears wanted to go public with this, wanted to send up a flare saying "if this can happen to me it can happen to anybody." I see no shame in that. On the contrary, cautionary tales are a sign that a society is in good health.

Now, if the writer of this story was following Mears around trying to "expose" him as an alcoholic, with interviews from supposedly disinterested third parties and friends of friends talking about how it was a shame Rick was going around getting bombed so much and other such nonsense, I'd agree with you completely.
        "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
        --Danny Noonan

Comment

Well, I don't know if "airing your dirty laundry publicly" is good or not, but I would like to say this. None of us are perfect, and when one of our "heroes" (and I use that term loosely) admits that they are indeed human and have problems, I think it is a good thing. Others may have these problems and, realizing there are others out there who have the same problems, just might make a difference in their lives.

I applaud Rick for coming out. I always liked him and respected him, and I respect him no less after learning this. I probably have more empathy for him knowing.

Comment

Sorry to hear he had/has a problem. Pleased to see he nipped it long before it became public. A bit confused as to the announcement--I guess it can be viewed as "public service", but it was still a bit odd. Maybe he didn't want Al to feel alone out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA:
              <STRONG> Maybe he didn't want Al to feel alone out there?</STRONG>
              I think we have a winner.

Comment

I wonder about two things:

1. (Regarding the need of the general public to tear down heroes) What is the purpose of all this "True Confessions" crap? Does diminishing a hero make any of us any larger?

2. Is the purpose of the "True Conf" crap to guide our kiddies in the straight and narrow? To tell you the truth, if I was a youngster really bent on becoming an Indy champ, and I found out that Mears and Unser drank a lot of booze in their heyday, I'd just HAVE to give it a shot. My God, they have 6 Indy wins between them. I just gotta have some of that. (Bobby, Big Al and AJ have done their share too, but they're smart enough to keep quiet and be thought bad boys than to open their mouths and remove all doubt.)

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: oldtimer ]

Comment

My cousin told me this past May of meeting Rick at a local pub, Rick was very intoxicated but very friendly, very nice to everyone, just he was suprised to see him that hammered. Rick has been a great ambassador to the sport, and will continue to be one. I hope things go well for him and Al.

Comment

Here's what I think.

Rick Mears:

#1- Want's to beat any sort of media blockbuster story breaking.

And/Or

#2- Feels that maybe he could help some of his fans out there. Maybe some out there with problems could see how their "Hero" handled the situation, and maybe help them make up their minds to get help as well.

Comment

yeah, maybe rm had some story hidden all these years ready to go into action if rick ever got into trouble or failed to be robin's snitch in the irl? rick is the best! hope he came out to help lil al...

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimer:
                        <STRONG>

Without question or reservation, I also wish Rick well.

I guess I have some problems with the current trend to air all one's problems in public. People seem to feel that public acknowledgment is required. I'm not sure whether this is the best way to go. Is a little "touchy-feely" worth the loss of our ability to respect the great accomplishments of the human spirit, even though that spirit may be flawed?

Do we add to the value and strength of the human spirit by constantly dwelling on our limitations as human beings? Is it necessary to tear down every icon? Point out each and every flaw?

I'm for accentuating the positive without nit-picking every teensy negative for the sake of filling up some cheap tabloid's pages with drivel.

In this case, Rick Mears is a solid contributor not only to Indy Car racing, but to the human spirit. He is the Joe DiMaggio of racing. But I see that they've dis-MANTLED Joe and Mick and the Babe, too.

I just think it's an unnecessary and [email protected] shame. It's come to the place where we're allowing every little cheap shot artist with a pencil and a byline to tear down people who have made real contributions to the advancement of the human spirit.

A few intact and healthy heroes never hurt any race or society. The need to belittle everyone who sticks his head an inch above the sewer is a sickness that we need to find some way to cure. It's much more dangerous to our society than a couple beers, or a couple hundred beers, by Rick Mears or Al Unser.</STRONG>
                        Couldn't have been better said. I don't need to know everyone's weakness or frailty

Comment

In any event, in keeping with the new spirit aka Pete Rose, AUJ, we should get the file out and make room for four drivers on the Borg Warner

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the South:
                            <STRONG>In any event, in keeping with the new spirit aka Pete Rose, AUJ, we should get the file out and make room for four drivers on the Borg Warner </STRONG>
                            \

not to split hairs, but wouldn't that be 6?

Comment

starrcam, I wondered the same thing as your #1.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X