Terrible TV Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible TV Coverage

I didn't like the coverage AGAIN this week. I was very mad when I was watching the race for Billy Boat and one second he is the last one on the lead lap yellow comes out...commercial break.....And then all of a sudden he's 15 laps down, no report of him and no interviews, at least of what I saw..

My favorite part was during the restart when Barron was going for the lead past Castroneves and just as they entered turn one ESPN went to commercial but instead of coming back as soon as they discovered their error they just let the commercial play out until the end and then they came back with Paul Page welcoming us back to Gateway and the Indy 250 and then showing us the replay of Barron sliding up high and losing 5 spots five minutes later.

After going to Michigan and Kentucky and then watching today on TV, I guess that I'm going to have to arrange to attend each race in person next year. It is sooooooooo much better to be there in person in every aspect. It is simply impossible for TV to capture the true thrill of Indy car racing.
    "they(NASCAR fans) know the difference between George Mack and Tony Stewart" - hdolan 8/31/02

Comment

Congratulations

You guys hit on my two biggest complaints.

#3 would be an over-emphasis on covering the leaders.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

I think the best part of todays coverage was that after thirteen races Paul Page was finally able to use his trademark saying ......................

"Nothing has changed since we left you!"

Dan Schlosser
        Go fast, turn left !
        www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
        Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Thank god for Speedvision. The worst is having to hear Page say Eastren over and over again. Speak English Paul!!!!!!

JH

Comment

I may be wrong, but it seems like the play a lot more commercials, especially late in the race, when the race is on the ESPN networks vs. when it is on ABC.

As for Boat, it is possible that the team didn't want to be interviewed.

Blue
            One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

I agree with Tin, the two races I saw in person this year were so much better than sitting in front of the tv!

I could not believe they went to commercial on the restart, then let the commercial play out instead of jumping right back.

Comment

I have no problem with the on-air people. The problem is with the production staff. I believe they must be the same staff that works those MetrX strongest man/woman competitions or the cheerleading competitions on ESPN2.

Comment

The ONLY positive improvment was showing some of the cars that were not in the lead pack. They showed rbm's car for a while and others too. That's about all I can say about the coverage. The commercials were coming rapidly, and it may have seemed like more because most of the race was green flag.
                  Have a very blessed day!

Comment

I didn't like the coverage AGAIN this week. I was very mad when I was watching the race for Billy Boat and one second he is the last one on the lead lap yellow comes out...commercial break.....And then all of a sudden he's 15 laps down, no report of him and no interviews, at least of what I saw..
                    ABC has cosistantly done this to the IRL and CART when they covered them, nothing new here. If you are not in the top 5 and don't hit the wall the odds of you being metioned by them is slim.

My favorite part was during the restart when Barron was going for the lead past Castroneves and just as they entered turn one ESPN went to commercial but instead of coming back as soon as they discovered their error they just let the commercial play out until the end and then they came back with Paul Page welcoming us back to Gateway and the Indy 250 and then showing us the replay of Barron sliding up high and losing 5 spots five minutes later.
                    Sears paid big money to have that commercial shown at that exact instant, who knew it would be at the exact time the most exciting thing on the track was about to happen.

I agree with Tin, the two races I saw in person this year were so much better than sitting in front of the tv!
                    They always are you can watch and follow your favorite driver or team or the best action on the track which is generally not the leaders. Everyone has made valid points that ABC/ESPN seems to continually ignore.
                    "Remember, your kids can get student loans, but there's no such thing as a retirement loan."

Comment

While we are ragin on ESPN I'd like to give a call out to Adrain Karsten for being a callous A-hole. During the ASU/Nebraska football game this bozo concludes an interview with the mother of Nebraska's new quaterback by mentioning the murder of her husband. The shocked and pained look on the woman's face should haved earned him his walking papers.

The acceptance of this sort of conduct goes a long way to explaining the continued presence of Robin Miller.
                      I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

There are lots of things going on during a race and they can't get it all. They try their hardest each race for you guys. I was at the race and didn't even know what Billy's problem except when he went from ever position to last on the lead lap. I know Billy pitted and was in the pits for several laps and that's all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hy -Gain McLaren:
                          <STRONG>I have no problem with the on-air people. The problem is with the production staff. I believe they must be the same staff that works those MetrX strongest man/woman competitions or the cheerleading competitions on ESPN2. </STRONG>
                          The production staff WORKS FOR IMS.
                          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was listening in on the scanner yesterday, and those guys were constantly making sure that they were covering as many of the drivers' status/stories as they could. I thought that they did a pretty good job covering the field.

Also, after Paul Page spent some time off-air poking fun at Canadians, Bob Jenkins cuts in and says "You know, Paul, there are lots of people down there listening in with scanners." It was great.

Comment

Nit-picking any network sports broadcast is too easy.

Belated congratulations to whoever came up with the winner's cam on the car of last race's winning driver. Somebody was thinking on that one!
                              "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X