I'm sure glas Gateway wasn't conducive to open wheel cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure glas Gateway wasn't conducive to open wheel cars

as some CARTisan said in another thread earlier in the day, stating that CART left St. Louis because it wasn't a good race track for open wheel cars.

While the layout may leave something to be desired, it's the same for everybody fella.

Ten lead changes, only four cautions for 24 laps and the top eight cars on the lead lap, yeah, it sure was a terrible track for the Indianapolis cars, wasn't it?

Not a bad race today, good run for Barron.

Today was a test for the series, the crowd looked so-so (the Cardinals were at home too) and it will be interesting to see the TV ratings since Cup had no race today.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

I guess that should be glad, eh?
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I'm a Cart fan, and went to all 4 years races and they were all good. The Cart races all had good endings and close racing. Declining attendance was what made Cart leave the track.

St. Louis is a tough town to draw fans to when the Cards are in town playing ball. The attendance today was about what Cart drew it's last year there in 00.
      Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

While I didn't see the comments claimed from some CART fan I've always enjoyed Gateway.

I took a pass on the firsr CART race there because I had been told that crowd management was going to be a goat rope. I haven't missed a CART or IRL race at Madison since.

Gateway has turned into one of my favorite ovals. The configuration assures that a pass is earned and skills are rewarded.

Good show today. The crowd was better than last year. Some C/W deal kept the crowd out of my way on exit.
        "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by trac-champ:
          <STRONG>I'm a Cart fan, and went to all 4 years races and they were all good. The Cart races all had good endings and close racing. Declining attendance was what made Cart leave the track.

St. Louis is a tough town to draw fans to when the Cards are in town playing ball. The attendance today was about what Cart drew it's last year there in 00.</STRONG>
          I think you ment twice the amount that CART drew.

Comment

That was a good show today... I enjoyed it...
            Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

originally posted by satman

I think you ment twice the amount that CART drew.
              No, that's not what I meant. While I couldn't estimate accurately because ESPN never showed even a glimmer of a straight on crowd shot, it looked about the same. I think Cart drew about 25k for it's last appearance, according to STL paper this morning, 35k showed up so that's 10k more. I was worried because I was at the track Saturday and there were maybe 500 folks there for qualifying. Good show and not bad considering the Cards were playing at the same time.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: trac-champ ]
              Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

*** WARNING ***

DESCENT INTO YET ANOTHER ATTENDANCE THREAD IN PROGRESS

CONTINUE READING AT YOUR OWN RISK

"I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

How many were at the Cardinals game?

The TV ratings will not be as good as they should, because the race was on ESPN, meaning 45% of US households, including mine, did not have access to it.

The IRL's partner, ABC, had info-mercials on all afternoon...
                  If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

I'm making a positive statement here. St. Louis has not been good at supporting that track. The first year in '97 had a full house but it declined after that.

I has more to do with the St. Louis fans than the on-track product.

Personnally, I thought the IRL did well Sunday.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X