Indy Qualifying Procedure Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Qualifying Procedure Question

In order for a car to be eligable for the Friday night draw, what criteria does that car have to meet? I believe in the old days, the car had to get a "final sticker" which, I believe, consisted of 10 laps over a certain speed. It seems to me I read somewhere this has been changed.

Thanks,
    Dave
    "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

You know, in the past I think I have seen numbers drawn for cars I haven't even seen on the track, or even in the garage, but I am not sure. Sometimes you do that as a precaution, against the possibility of a rain out of the entire first weekend.

If someone here can't come up with the actual rule, I know someone to call who drew up all those regulations back in the USAC days. I owe him a call anyway. If there is a requirement it would be that the car would have to have the "final sticker," you need to have several.

Comment

They did away with the requirement for a "sticker" in 1997, I think. When Billy Boat qualified A.J.'s car in the final seconds of 2000, that car had never been on the track.

Professor Joe
      Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Joe:
        <STRONG>They did away with the requirement for a "sticker" in 1997, I think. When Billy Boat qualified A.J.'s car in the final seconds of 2000, that car had never been on the track.

</STRONG>
        But it had gone thru tech.
        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

The Rules

6.1 Purpose of Qualifications-

Qualifications determine the eligibility and starting position of each Entrant's Car on the basis of its performance in qualifications.

6.2 Qualification Order-

A. The qualification shall be determined by a blind draw. Each Entrant is eligible to participate in this drawing subject to approval of the Officials. An Entrant's designated representative will participate in the draw as its Car is presented for technical inspection on set-up day. The Officials may draw for an Entrant who does not have an authorized representative present at the drawing.

B. The first half of the qualifications order must be in line at the tech inspection area in the garage area fifteen minutes prior to the beginning og qualifications. The last half of the qualifications order must be in line fifteen minutes after the beginning of qualifications. The position of each Car shall be resereved in the qualification order as long as the Car remains in the place designated by the Officials and proceeds with the qualification attempt when ordered by the Officials.

6.3 Qualification Proceedure

A. Pre Qualifications Technical Inspection-

An entrant is responsible for making certain that its Car meets all required technical specifications when it places its Car in the qualification line. All cars must be fully approved by the Officials prior to any qualification attempt. A fuel sample will be taken from all Cars prior to the attempt.

B. Declaration of Intent-

A declararion of intent shall be considered made when the Car has been pushed to a place so designated by the Officials. If a Car does not proceed with the qualification attempt when ordered to do so by the Officials, the Car will forfiet its position in the qualification order but will not be charged with an attempt.
          I've got sources. I used to know a T-Shirt vendor at the Phoenix track.

Comment

Professor Joe
            Race Fan
            Member # 171
            posted January 19, 2002 05:02 PM
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            They did away with the requirement for a "sticker" in 1997, I think. When Billy Boat qualified A.J.'s car in the final seconds of 2000, that car had never been on the track.
            Joe,
            I believe Bobby G. was in that ride that day. He was punted and Billy Boat put it in the show. It had quite a few practice laps that day.

Dave
            "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Comment

indymotors
              Race Fan
              Member # 353
              posted January 21, 2002 09:16 PM
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The Rules
              6.1 Purpose of Qualifications-

Qualifications determine the eligibility and starting position of each Entrant's Car on the basis of its performance in qualifications.

6.2 Qualification Order-

A. The qualification shall be determined by a blind draw. Each Entrant is eligible to participate in this drawing subject to approval of the Officials. An Entrant's designated representative will participate in the draw as its Car is presented for technical inspection on set-up day. The Officials may draw for an Entrant who does not have an authorized representative present at the drawing.

B. The first half of the qualifications order must be in line at the tech inspection area in the garage area fifteen minutes prior to the beginning og qualifications. The last half of the qualifications order must be in line fifteen minutes after the beginning of qualifications. The position of each Car shall be resereved in the qualification order as long as the Car remains in the place designated by the Officials and proceeds with the qualification attempt when ordered by the Officials.

6.3 Qualification Proceedure

A. Pre Qualifications Technical Inspection-

An entrant is responsible for making certain that its Car meets all required technical specifications when it places its Car in the qualification line. All cars must be fully approved by the Officials prior to any qualification attempt. A fuel sample will be taken from all Cars prior to the attempt.

B. Declaration of Intent-

A declararion of intent shall be considered made when the Car has been pushed to a place so designated by the Officials. If a Car does not proceed with the qualification attempt when ordered to do so by the Officials, the Car will forfiet its position in the qualification order but will not be charged with an attempt.

IndyMotors,

I read that also in the rulebook but I don't believe it defines the criteria on how a car is declared eligable for a qualification run at Indy.

Thanks,
              Dave

Comment

Dave, your thread started off asking about the regular races. That's pretty cut and dried in the rules.
                Tech inspection on a registered IRL car.

For Indy the rule book states:

6.7 Indianapolis 500 mile race-
                The IRL will issue a separate bulletin detailing the qualifications proceedures for the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

I'll go back through my files from last years race and see if I can find that bulletin
                I've got sources. I used to know a T-Shirt vendor at the Phoenix track.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X