• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Global Warming

"Ice Thickens in Antarctica" is the title of a wire story in:

San Antonio Express News
    1-18-2002
    P 13A

Bottom Line = ice is getting thicker...hard evidence against global warming...

Well the other side beleives that as the air gets warmer there is more evaporation thus more snow in the areas that can still support it. Or is that how the ice ages begin?
    By the time you finish reading this you realize that you have wasted 5 seconds of your life.

Comment

I truly hope no one hear believes that global warming doesn't exist. Now, I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that it is caused by man, but there is no disputing the fact that the average global temperature has been increasing and that large portions of the ice caps have been melting. Let's all just hope it's a natural cycle that will stop in the near future.
      "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Noonan:
        <STRONG>I truly hope no one hear believes that global warming doesn't exist. Now, I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that it is caused by man, but there is no disputing the fact that the average global temperature has been increasing and that large portions of the ice caps have been melting. Let's all just hope it's a natural cycle that will stop in the near future.</STRONG>
        Is there a single person who believes that "global warming" caused the end of the ice age? Just what part did the human race play in that episode of "global warming"?
        Gary Crossno

Comment

wasn't global cooling the perceived threat twenty five years ago?
          "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird:
            <STRONG>wasn't global cooling the perceived threat twenty five years ago?</STRONG>
            I don't know but about 5 years ago I read something interesting. Universities which would run long term weather forcasting programs on their supercomputers found that Earth had only two long term self adjusting type weather patterns. One, what we have today and second the "white earth" model where the earth freezes over and the snow cap reflects most of the energy of the sun back out to space so that it never melts the snow. They found that if they ran their computer programs out far enough the earth invariably fell into the white earth mode at some point, never to recover.

Comment

So Howard--what's your opinion of the fact that the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica is shrinking at a very rapid rate over the last few years? How about the fact that a man frozen for 10,000 years in the Italian Alps was found about 10 years ago because the ice in which he was encased had melted? How about the fact that 20 of the warmest years on record have occurred in about the last 25 years, with a nearly nearly unbroken pattern of each year being warmer than the year before? How about the fact that there are perfectly reasonable explanations for thickening of ice in the Antarctic that are perfectly compatible with theories of global warming? How about the fact that records of atmospheric CO2 that have been measured on top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii for the last 100 years show a steady, linear increase (Carbon Dioxide is a greenhouse gas, this is not in dispute)? I've seen the data.

What are the chances you're siezing on one small piece of data, while ignoring virtually all the other data?
              "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Originally posted by n-turbo:
                <STRONG>Well the other side beleives that as the air gets warmer there is more evaporation thus more snow in the areas that can still support it. Or is that how the ice ages begin? </STRONG>
                I don't know about where you live, but in Texas, when the weather gets warmer, our chances of getting a snowfall go down...
                If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

Hard to find any fault in global warming when the winters here in Indy are much warmer and calmer than they used to be
                  SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                  " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Tx, I don't know if the laws of physics are radically different down in Texas, but in Colorado it snows much more often when the temperature is 15F - 30F than when the temperature is -10F.
                    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
                      <STRONG>Hard to find any fault in global warming when the winters here in Indy are much warmer and calmer than they used to be </STRONG>

This is the same weather as down the road from you in Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMan:
                        <STRONG>Tx, I don't know if the laws of physics are radically different down in Texas, but in Colorado it snows much more often when the temperature is 15F - 30F than when the temperature is -10F. </STRONG>
                        No dispute about the laws of physics, zman, but it's much more likeley to snow here when the temperature is 20-30F than when the temperature is 59F in the shade, as it is right now.

Besides, in Colorado it snows much more often than it does it Austin, Texas (about once every ten years). However, we did get a couple of hours of light snowfall a few weeks ago- very unusual.

December 2000 was our coldest December ever (recorded history, of course). This winter we have already execeeded our average number of hours below freezing (32F).

Well the other side beleives that as the air gets warmer there is more evaporation thus more snow in the areas that can still support it.
                        I guess if it gets warmer in Texas, more of our water evaporates, causing more snow in Colorado...

Then more Texans would go to Colorado...
                        If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

"So Howard--what's your opinion of the fact that the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica is shrinking at a very rapid rate over the last few years? "

"...new flow measurements for the Ross ice streams...indicate that movement of some of the ice streams has slowed or halted, allowing the ice to thicken, according to a paper appearing in today's (1/18/02)issue of the journal Science."

From the article cited in my original post...

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: hdolan ]

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan:
                            <STRONG>"So Howard--what's your opinion of the fact that the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica is shrinking at a very rapid rate over the last few years? "

"...new flow measurements for the Ross ice streams...indicate that movement of some of the ice streams has slowed or halted, allowing the ice to thicken, according to a paper appearing in today's (1/18/02)issue of the journal Science."

From the article cited in my original post...

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: hdolan ]</STRONG>
                            You be careful, Howard. Don't you be messin' with ZenMan. He knows his stuff.
                            "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Posted by TxIndyFan:
                              I guess if it gets warmer in Texas, more of our water evaporates, causing more snow in Colorado...

Then more Texans would go to Colorado...
                              Actually, I'm much more concerned about this possibility. Around here, them's fightin' words!

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: ZenMan ]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X