Use of the Indycar Trademark and marketing in 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of the Indycar Trademark and marketing in 2003

I another thread SamC posted a very good synopsis of the whole Indycar trademark issue. This got me to wondering could having the opportunity to use the instantly recognizable term "Indycar" been a major factor in the Honda and Toyota switch?

Shawn
    University of Kansas Cancer Center

It absolutely could be. They want to be affiliated with a "known entity". IndyCar is it. CART had NO right to that to begin with. CART cars DO NOT RUN AT INDY, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to use it. The Supreme Court seemed to agree with me as well so I think I'm on pretty solid ground here.
    But that's just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by jetdoc:
      <STRONG>...The Supreme Court seemed to agree with me as well so I think I'm on pretty solid ground here. </STRONG>
      When did the Supreme Court rule on the use of the term "Indycar?"
      "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

1997! Right after the split was announced CART kept using the term "Indycar". Tony claimed Trademark Infringement and it went to court. After checking my facts, it was NOT the Supreme Court but the Federal District Court. It was ruled that NO ONE can use the term "Indycar for 5 years. Then the IRL/Tony George had the rights to it and can start using it in 2003.
        But that's just my opinion!

Comment

<STRONG>CART had NO right to that to begin with. </STRONG>
          They most certainly did. There was an agreement between CART and IMS that licenced the name "Indycar" to CART. THat agreement is no longer in affect as you have stated.

Comment

Any evidence that the IRL will use the Indycar name next year?
            ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Kimble:
              <STRONG>Any evidence that the IRL will use the Indycar name next year?</STRONG>
              They'd by nuts not to. I've noticed more and more teams and drivers are referring to them as Indycars.

Comment

Is it because they are north of the border - in Canada - "Chase Around Race Tracks" uses the name INDY in a couple of their "boars?"

Vancover and Toronto come to mind, maybe Australia - down south.
                Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Surely the only people who can run 'Indycars' are the people who invented the term, presumably USAC, and only then if the person who owned the Indy trademark (Hulman family) allowed them to call a series 'Indycars'?

I always thought calling a series CART was stupid, the average John Q Sponsor may have thought it was a karting series (restrain yourselves, gents). ChampCars was much better, but presumably USAC owned that copyright?
                  "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

<STRONG>...After checking my facts, it was NOT the Supreme Court but the Federal District Court....</STRONG>
                    Mighty big difference.
                    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Oops - missed the other thread about Indy Molson Indy - question answered.
                      Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Kimble:
                        <STRONG>Any evidence that the IRL will use the Indycar name next year?</STRONG>
                        Sure...Indycar Racing League
                        "The guys on the IRL side went beyond fair. It would have been easy for either side to back out, but this time they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."..... Jimmy Vasser on the merger.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X