indy? molson? huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indy? molson? huh?

why is cart still using the indy name in canada?

how ridiculous is that.
    It's a brand new day.

Molstar Entertainment got the rights to the Indy name in Canada in 1984. They use it as a brand, and Molson Indy has more recognition than CART or IRL or Indycar for that matter here.

Comment

I understand the legalism of who owns the name "Indy" in Canada. OK they do own it.

But why use it. If, through some quirk of law, you owned the copyright to the words "Chinese Food" in Canada, why would you apply it to Ritz crackers and peanut butter? You COULD, but why WOULD you want to, because Ritz crackers and peanut better are not chinese food.

This shows how fixated CART STILL is on Indy. Otherwise they would move on and call the race something.

Since it is neither Indy car racing, nor Grand Prix racing, the best I can do is "Molson-CART false advertizing event in Montreal".

Comment

This shows how fixated CART STILL is on Indy

either that or it shows how fixated on CART you remain Sam.
        "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

its simple, they are using the towns name,,paper
          I love the sport more than I hate the past,

Comment

its simple, they are using the towns name,,paper
            What does a road race in Canada have to do with Indianapolis?
            "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

In a backhanded way, its not all that bad they insist on using "Indy" in the name. It keeps "Indy" on their minds.

Comment

It's their usual attempt to maintain credibility by clinging ever so desperately to the 'Indy' hind teat.

It's disingenuous and dishonest.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong here please. But didn't the "Supreme Court" rule on this and gave CART 6 years to use that name. After that it goes back to Tony George if I'm not mistaken. So basically this is the last year that CART can use ANYTHING that has "Indy" in it, because they don't OWN nor RUN an Indy race.
                  But that's just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by jetdoc:
                    <STRONG>Correct me if I'm wrong here please. But didn't the "Supreme Court" rule on this and gave CART 6 years to use that name. </STRONG>
                    No, it wasn't the Supreme Court. A suit was filed in the US District Court in Indianapolis, but settled.

Here is the deal. "Indy", "Indy Car", "Indianapolis" and any variation thereof, relative to car racing, is a US trademark of IMS. Mr. George liscensed it to CART in 93 or so and CART was know as CART Indycar World Series. The continued to do that for the first year of "the split", even calling the US 500 "the Indycar race on Memorial Day".

However, part of the agreement that liscensed "Indycar" to CART was that CART admitted that IMS owned the copyright and that it would run the Indy 500 every year as a condition of the liscense.

CART settled, because it knew it would lose. Under the deal the IRL has to be called "IRL" and can't be something else (if it wanted to be) that involves "Indy Car" until 2003, and the old "Indy Lights" could call itself that until 2003. CART was forced to immediatly call itself "Champ Cars".

However, Canada is a FOERIGN country with its own laws and courts. Molson Breweries has the copyright to "Indy" in Canada. They could call anything "Indy" there, CASCAR, NASCAR, NHRA, CART or the rattlesnake round-up, without any grief from IMS.

For what it is worth, FIA has a rule on the subject. "An Indy car is a car of the type that races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway." Big help that, since IRL, IROC, NASCAR, and Formula One all race there.

Comment

"Indy" has value, "CART" doesn't. And the further CART gets from being "Indy" the less successful their series has become.
                      I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

However, Canada is a FOERIGN country with its own laws and courts. Molson Breweries has the copyright to "Indy" in Canada. They could call anything "Indy" there, CASCAR, NASCAR, NHRA, CART or the rattlesnake round-up, without any grief from IMS.
                        Technically, this is a trademark issue and not copyright.

Also, the fact that the Molson Indy is taking place in Canada doesn't mean they are free to disregard IMS trademark rights.

If a company does business in the United States, it can be held liable for trademark infringement that takes place outside the Untied States.

Without getting into the (tedious) details, if IMS wanted to stop the use of its trademarks for the Canadian races, it could probalby do so.

I'm guessing that use of the INDY mark is with permission.
                        I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

Comment

Get out the hammer and call the 2003 IRL cars "Indycars." They are the true and legal Indycars.

It's time for CART to rise or fall on their own merit, or lack of it. 455-5309

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Doc Austin ]
                          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Defender:
                            <STRONG>It's disingenuous and dishonest.</STRONG>
                            Lond of like many of your posts.

Molstar has legal authority to use the name Indy in conjunction with their events in Canada. With over 15 years branded indentification, they'd be nuts to stop usuing it because the folks at TF don't like it.

If you go to Toronto or Vancouver and say you're in town for "the Indy" they know exactly what you're spending your American dollars for.

If there was a way for IMS to keep them using it, you'd better believe they would. They can't. Deal with it.

Comment

If there was a way for IMS to keep them using it, you'd better believe they would. They can't. Deal with it.
                              That's absolutely not true. I don't know if the use if the INDY mark for foreign races was part of the INDYCAR settlement from a few years ago. But, in the absence of a settlement, license or other agreement, IMS could stop unauthorized use of the INDY mark for the foreign races.

The events are sanctioned by a U.S. corporation, the teams are all U.S. residents, the races are broadcast in the U.S., advertising revenue is generated in the U.S., and perhaps some of the sponsors of the race do business in the U.S.

IMS could walk into a federal court and probalby get an injunction to stop use of the mark, and collect damages from anyone who used the mark without authority to do so.
                              I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X