From The World Capital of Auto Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From The World Capital of Auto Racing

Here I am reporting from the World Capital of Auto Racing- (OK actually I'm in Carmel, not far from the Capital), and I wonder (every day) why in the world can't the Indianpolis Star scrape up some breaking news everyday in Indy racing. Now you will say that's because there is no breaking news. I disagree. The Colts fired Mr. Mora and everyday there is something to report. Bill Polian sneezed and that was a sign he's going after a cold weather coach. Tony Dungy was seen heading in the general direction of an airport... oh he must be interviewing with the Colts!

NASCAR gets a plug nearly everyday for something, even if it's not worth reporting. How many NASCAR teams are based in Indy? But right here where Indy car racing was born, in the namesake city for crying outloud, where we have the Mecca of all motorsports, where most of the Indy car teams' shops are located, Curt Cavin and his associates can't find a story.

When I was 7 years old, I met my dad at the door every evening to find out if he picked up that part I wanted for my bicycle, even though two days earlier he told me the thing was on back order for two more weeks. Now 43, I'm still a sucker. Every morning at 6am, I get up and walk down my 150 foot driveway, pillow-head and all, to get my Indianapolis Star to see if they have anything worth reading in the world of the IRL. On the way to the mailbox, I tell myself, don't expect too much- if there is any news, you've already read it on Trackforum and so did Mr. Cavin.

Mental note to self. 1) Sleep in longer. 2) Call Mr. Cavin and tell him to pull himself away from the Internet and start making the rounds to all the IRL shops to see what the heck is going on, like journalists used to do.

wolfboy, I live at 1802 Georgetown Rd. and I usuallyl get my breaking news hereon TF. I'm glad RM is gone but Curt is not a super snoop!! I think everything that was in the Star today I heard at least a week ago,agree?
    Is it May yet?
    Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

There's that 'W' word again.

Comment

I don't think there is a lot of news out there. We are all frustrated with lack of news. Both series we watch are so paranoid about competing against NFL that the seasons end too early. Then they start in March, after NASCAR has been running for three weeks. Hang in there TitW is only three weeks off.

Comment

The Indianapolis Star isn't an aggresive news source. The people they hire to write their columns says everything about their dedication to reporting "news." I know that may sound harsh but if you want something to compare them to in the future, pick up a copy of the Washington Post! It's ugly!
          http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

In my opinion, the Star lost most of its local flavor when it was taken over by Gannett. The Star is now nothing more than an advertisement dominated fishwrap that contains mostly wire service news, SOME local news, a racist column every two weeks, and a complete menu of out-of-town so-called columnists. These were replacements for everyone Gannett ran out in the beginning. Suddenly they're all experts on Indiana living and its history.

SO, they (Gannett) have never picked up on the fact that this IS the motor racing capital of the world, and there is a chance that their subscribers would increase substantially if only they would take the initiative. I've been beating this drum for years now. Those of us over 40 remember when the Star was wall to wall coverage in May. It helped my addiction get worse/better on the 500!
            www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Previously posted by roadrage:
              a racist column every two weeks, and a complete menu of out-of-town so-called columnists. These were replacements for everyone Gannett ran out in the beginning. Suddenly they're all experts on Indiana living and its history
              I tell you this roadrage, I couldn't agree with that statement more! I am so sick of hearing these jacka$$es who are from outside of Indiana talk about our hometown issues. It makes me double over in pain! I'd love to mention TWO names right off the bat but I'll refrain from doing so. :mad: I agree wholeheartedly with you, and I tell you it's a cryin shame!
              http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

When I was a kid back in the late sixties, I remember the Sunday Star being filled with pages upon pages of racing in May. I used to soak up all the qualifying lap times and read every article I could get my hands on. It seems to me they carried the other Indy races pretty well too- Milwaukee, Ontario, Pocono, etc. Now days, even during May it's nothing like it used to be. Oh well.

Comment

Wolfboy, I live just north of you in Westfield and work in Carmel. We'll have to meet up at Fasttimes sometime.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X