Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big News? Looks like a modified version of 25/8

http://www.indyracing.com/press/story.php?id=326

Looks like CARTs potential move to INDY and switch to IRL specs has caused the IRL to make more changes. What do ya'll think?

"It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Please see Leaders Circle thread for discussion on this topic.

Comment

Looks like an expanded version of 20 get 22k.

And this looks like a TROLL.
        We flipped our finger to the King of England
        Stole our country from the Indians
        With god on our side and guns in our hands
        We took it for our own!

Comment

Please show this troll the exit.
          "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
          Vice President, Marketing
          IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

................ .
            Round and round we go, where it stops......

Comment

believe me, when I typed the previous post, it looked like a pretty good theater stage hook!

These computers are no fun!
              Round and round we go, where it stops......

Comment

"Firestone’s commitment to the growth and stability of the Indy Racing League is truly exceptional."

I'm trying to figure the meaning of the word "growth" when there is a limit of 24(?) cars.

www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Here is a picture I found of the "average" Track Forum Troll:

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrage:
                    <STRONG>"Firestone’s commitment to the growth and stability of the Indy Racing League is truly exceptional."

I'm trying to figure the meaning of the word "growth" when there is a limit of 24(?) cars.

</STRONG>
                    There is no limit of 24 cars. But, they are only allowing the top 24 to participate in the program. And remember that last season only the Top 20 got bonus money. THUS, this is a GROWTH of 4.

FYI, GoodYear and Hoosier have had programs with the WoO forever. You accumulate points based on finishing positions, and X number of points got you a free tire. Firestone's deal is probably similar.

And the key to me is that the better you run, the more you get. This isn't communism, performance still counts.

The person this program would've helped the most last season was probably Billy Boat. An underfunded, but solidly performing team.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: step33 ]
                    We took it for our own!

Comment

Hey,
                      I resent the implication that this is like 25/8. Twenty-five eight was designed to keep the best out. This is designed to keep the worst in.

This is chum for the bottom-feeders. No wonder there has been a recent feeding frenzy at the bottom of the IRL hierarchy.
                      Sifaka

Comment

Originally posted by indyracer56:
                        <STRONG>Here is a picture I found of the "average" Track Forum Troll:

</STRONG>
                        So Paul Page has been lurking here. Well, what do you know about that?
                        "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
                          <STRONG>Hey,
                          I resent the implication that this is like 25/8. Twenty-five eight was designed to keep the best out. This is designed to keep the worst in.

This is chum for the bottom-feeders. No wonder there has been a recent feeding frenzy at the bottom of the IRL hierarchy.</STRONG>
                          Only sifaka would find that helping out your teams is BAD for the IRL.
                          We took it for our own!

Comment

"Please show this troll the exit."

"Here is a picture I found of the "average" Track Forum Troll:"

While you may think this is a troll, it is definately not. If you noticed, I noted I was curious what people think. I have been following the IRL since its inception and lurking around here for a long time. I just do not post that often. This is a very intrigueing move by the IRL. It seems that they are attempting to try to avoid allowing CART teams from cherry picking IRL events. While I have been very supportive to all decisions that IRL has made in the past, I have yet to form an opinion on this move. It seems pretty obvious that limiting this to 24 teams has a direct correlation to the fact that the IRL supposes that their car counts will be around 20-24 cars this year.

I hope this is just a move by the IRL to support those teams committed to the IRL by making it difficult to CART teams with similar specs(2003) to cherry pic.

Comment

Originally posted by step33:
                              <STRONG>
                              Only sifaka would find that helping out your teams is BAD for the IRL.</STRONG>
                              It is a catch 22 isn't it. If you keep the cost of racing high, then only well-funded teams will race. However, then you might have to settle for say --- 21 teams like in F-1 (I know the 21 is by regulation, but why od you think it was set that low). If you keep the cost of racing low, then you naturally give underfunded teams a chance to run where they don't belong. Given that the economic barriers to entry in the IRL are already low, this 'incentive' can only have the effect of diluting the quality of the field.

Is that bad for the IRL, as Step 33 claims I think? Oh, I don't know. Accidents like Atlanta have nothing to do with underfunded teams with clapped out engines do they?

I wouldn't say that it is so much bad, as it is Tg facing the reality that the economic bite that has hit CART teams has hit the IRL just as bad if not worse. He only has 17 teams signed up to run the full season, according to the IRL website, and that includes his great catch of two cars from CART. TG very much wants to be able to have more cars in his fields than CART does. If it turns out the other way around folks will start to wonder again about the viability of the IRL if it can't offer bigger fields than that dying series, CART.
                              Sifaka

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X