OT - Chicago Motor Speedway OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Chicago Motor Speedway OK

The rumors have been denied, and CMS is going ahead with plans for it's CART and CTS races this season.

Read the Speedvision story.
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Chicago Motor Speedway might not be the first to go, but I still think there are way too many tracks with not enough race fans to go around, and I think they will not all still be here in a few years time.

We shall see.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: indyracer56 ]

Comment

Indyracer56, I think you're partly right. I think there are too many "major league" ovals around right now - there is plenty of room for "semi-major" 3/4 and 1-mile ovals, as showcases for series like SC, Midgets, Late Models, ASA, ARCA, etc. Two that immediately jump to mind are Lakeland, FL, and Memphis as fairly thriving examples.

Think of 'em as "big short tracks." If Chicago were to go this route, and lower their ticket, parking, and concession prices accordingly, there are a heck of a lot of racers and fans in the Chicago area that could make it a success.
      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

It's great that the CMS people deny they are in trouble, something to remember is the source of the story. If you read the HORSE racing writer in the Chicago Sun Times you get a different perspective on the same story and it's not as auto racing flattering as someone from Chip's organization would have you believe.
        "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
        "They're criminals"
        "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Got a link, Z?
          "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

I went to the NCTS race at CMS in 2000. In my opinion the reason no one attends that track anymore is the fact that the stands face due south. The sun just roasts you all day. Yes, I understand it's a daytime race in the summer, but with the sun right in your face... those aluminum seats....it's like sitting in a frying pan.

OTOH, the stands in Joliet face primarily east, the sun is behind you, and it's not nearly as hot. Even with 75,000 people wedged into the seats.
            "The guys on the IRL side went beyond fair. It would have been easy for either side to back out, but this time they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."..... Jimmy Vasser on the merger.

Comment

Lately it seems as if someone is working behind the scenes on damage control at CART. First the deal with the Monterrey ticket sales, and now CMS. What would the league and team sponsors think if a race is dropped from the schedule that obviously was used to lure money. CART can't afford to have this happen. I'm sure they are VERY willing at this point to negotiate some of those sanctioning fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacoby:
                I'm sure they are VERY willing at this point to negotiate some of those sanctioning fees.[/QB]
                Most of the US raod courses gave CART the ultimatem of slashing their sanctioning fee or losing the date. The deadline for meeting their demands was Dec. 11th (or so). Whatever happened to that?
                I'm dead now.

Comment

Jacoby, I thought rev asked us to avoid those kind of comments pertaining to other series, and replies.

Besides, any atempt to keep from losing another oval track venue is ok with me.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mackie ]

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
                    <STRONG>Jacoby, I thought rev asked us to avoid those kind of comments pertaining to other series, and replies...
                    [ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mackie ]</STRONG>
                    Hmmm...I guess I missed that post. I've noticed that others must have missed it also. But since this post was about a CART subject, I though I would respond by talking about CART. I have read several articles about this subject this week. All week long this story has been changing. People and organizations have been retracting what was said originally. As the story unfolded, it became clear to me that CART is working with them to make sure they can stage a race. This story goes alot deeper than just rumors. Sorry Rev, its just not that simple. Mackie, I guess I could have left off the part about Monterrey, but the damage control about the Chicago deal is par for the course...in a sense the two are related. But I don't want to argue about that.

Comment

Well, of course CART is in damage control! When was the last time anything straight ever, ever, came out of Joe Hietzler's mouth? and after the leeway they gave him in pumping us full of, errrr, inaccuracies, who do you believe?

Who do you trust? The people who brought you tongue-talking Joe? Or the man who pulled indycar racing out of the dark ages?
                      Does anyone believe a word anyone in CART says after the decades of sweetheat deals and "preferred promoter status" stories? Can you believe any one of them after they snuck out of town with the Texan's money? Or after they colluded with toyota to screw honda and Ford?

What is Honda, the fouth largest automaker in the world? And when they say cart can't run a progfessional racing series with any degree of "integrity," will you believe what CART tells you about anything?

Of course they are in damage control. Man the lifeboats! Owners and bean counters first! after the almighty buck, of course.
                      I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed:
                        <STRONG>Got a link, Z?</STRONG>
                        I'm sure the Chicago Sun Times has a web site, I pick it up off the front porch when I take the dog out in the morning, you would be looking for Jim O'Donnell and horse racing.
                        "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                        "They're criminals"
                        "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X