David Pook Critical after crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Pook Critical after crash

It looks like he will survive, but David Pook (son of Chris) crashed hard testing his car at Phoenix.

Speedvision story.
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Terrible news!

Is that the same type of injury that Sam Schmidt had?

Comment

From the brief report it sounds pretty promising inasmuch as it says no surgery needed which would seem to indicate no spinal injury. If that's correct than good news for David and another credit to the HANS Device.

Comment

Why doesn't the IRL require HANS? How many guys are going to have to be saved by it before they wake up?
        I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
          <STRONG>Why doesn't the IRL require HANS? How many guys are going to have to be saved by it before they wake up?</STRONG>

Name one injury incured in an IRL car that would have been prevented by the HANS.

No one can, at least as of now, say Pook's injuries would have been greater without the HANS.

Comment

Chioce of personal safety devices should belong to the driver. Besides, for all we know Pook had one on. His father is smart enough and wealthy enough to point him in the right direction.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mackie ]

Comment

I think it will take a death in the IRL to get it required. Not to sound bad but it seems like that is the scenario.
              RIP Sammich

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
                <STRONG>Why doesn't the IRL require HANS? How many guys are going to have to be saved by it before they wake up?</STRONG>
                I agree.
                Center Grove Trojans
                2008 5A Football State Champs
                2015 6A Football State Champs
                2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Let's just hope David will be OK. Saw the story earlier on 'that CART website'.

He apparently was wearing a HANS.

He did have a cervical fracture and the docs plan on fitting him with a 'halo'.

There's been no report of paralysis yet, so let's hope there is none.
                  BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Several points

I was going by Parsons' post when i assumed that Pook was wearing one.

Dr. Steve Olvey credits the HANS with saving three lives in CART this last year. That, to me, is a really good endorsement.

And leaving the drivers to choose their own equipment? Look how reluctant speedway drivers were to use seat belts at first. Even USAC officials told Mickey Thompson he could only wear his if he promised to undo it if he thought he was going to crash! (source; They call me MR.500 by andy granatelli) And the open faced helmet was still being used in NASCAR as late as last year (one guy was killed wearing one). Forcing a driver to use a piece of safety equipment that may or may not be fully developed is one thing. But the HANS has proven itself. No one has shown me a scenerio where the HANS would make an injury worse, so i just don't see a down side.

Now, this is going to hurt me like a well placed hot poker, but i have to applaud CART for making it mandatory on all tracks. Of course, it was developed in their series for their cars, but I think the principle is the same in both types of OW cars. If there has not been HANS reasearch relating to IRL cars, WHY NOT? Why isn't the IRL commissioning some sort of study?

Everybody has torn up a car or two. If you are a racer you sure have. Just remember how much it hurt having your head flop around and you will think twice about HANS.
                    I'm dead now.

Comment

Just so the facts are straight!

Son Of CART CEO Injured In Testing Crash

Detroit, Mich., Jan. 18 — Steering failures on an oval course usually mean only one thing, and the inevitable result caused injury to David Pook Thursday during a private test session on the Phoenix International Raceway oval.

Pook, the 30-year-old son of CART CEO and president Chris Pook, is in critical condition in the Intensive Neurological Care Unit of the Good Samaritan Hospital with a fracture of the second cervical vertebra. He was testing his NASCAR Featherlite Southwest Tour Chevrolet when a suspected steering failure sent him nearly head-on into the first-turn wall. Pook was wearing a HANS device at the time.

The former Indy Lights and Toyota Atlantic driver will be fitted with a ‘halo’ device to stabilize the injury, and neurosurgeon Dr. Barry Kriegsfeld said that the injury will likely not require surgery. Pook is conscious and talking, and is in good spirits. — Eric Mauk, News Bureau Editor, RACER
                      Born Again Race Fan seen at
                      www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Originally posted by vegasduo:
                        <STRONG>
                        Name one injury incured in an IRL car that would have been prevented by the HANS.
                        </STRONG>
                        I know that this was 'pre-Hans' days but didn't Brayton have a basel (sp?) skull injury, same as Big E.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Joe Baiza ]

Comment

posted by vegasduo:
                          Sam Schmidt.

jmart

Comment

Originally posted by jmart:
                            <STRONG>

Sam Schmidt.

jmart</STRONG>

The Hans would have done nothing for Sam. I was told his injuries were caused by spinal compression. Essentially his body "Submarined" in the cockpit. That's how it was explained to me at least. In an Indycar you are "Layed out", in a Stock car you are sitting, BIG DIFFERENCE when it comes to hitting a wall.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: HerbieIsHere ]
                            Zoooooooooooom!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Baiza:
                              [QB]

I know that this was 'pre-Hans' days but didn't Brayton have a basel (sp?) skull injury, same as Big E."

I think Brayton's head hit the wall, something a HANS could have prevented. But we didn't have them then. we do now and the guys aren't required to wear them. the next guy that get killed or crippled because he wasn't wearing one will jst be criminal negligence.
                              I'm dead now.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X