No announcement yet.

"Scheckter's Welcome in CART"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, the Sophistry Section Rahal is bleating from ignores the fact that recently, the nose cone of one CART car penetrated deeply into the drivers compartment of another CART car, at what...perhaps 60 mph? Reassuring for the rest of the CART drivers, I'm sure.

All Bobby Rahal is doing these days by running his piehole, is burning every last bridge he had back to sanity.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." (Theodore Roosevelt 1918)

Comment

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?irlnotes25.html

August 25, 2002

MADISON, Ill. -- A day after severing his Indy Racing League contract with Eddie Cheever Jr.'s team, Tomas Scheckter vowed to return to the series as soon as possible.

Scheckter, reached Saturday in Indianapolis, could not say how or when he would do that.

"I will worry about that after I deal with this (dispute)," the South African-born driver said. "But all I was born to do is race and I want to race in the IRL."
      Sorry, Chris.

Comment

Rahal needs to shut up and worry about his team and his series. Nobody should care about his opinion.

At least its nice to see others paying attention to what is going on in the IRL. (Maybe that is why CART is struggling so badly right now-they aren't paying attention to THEIR series).

Rahal's comments about safety are pointless as well. And his comments about Priestly were totally classless. Note to Bobby, JP was driving in the IRL's SUPPORT SERIES. A series designed to train future IRL drivers.

I think Rahal and Danica Patrick are a good match for the future. Both have their noses so far up in the air, I think they can smell rain.
        IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter:
          <STRONG>

Oh, please. Rahal's been the chief CART crybaby since 1995. Rahal and Tommy the Horny Test Driver is a good match in my book.</STRONG>
          Heh, Heh, 'writer said horny!

University of Kansas Cancer Center

Comment

Hasn't CART parked benched and fired a driver that had a similar season to Tomas? Townsend Bell comes to mind.
            "Remember, your kids can get student loans, but there's no such thing as a retirement loan."

Comment

Tomas & CART is a match made in heaven. He can crash in the first turn and save himself from all that racing.
              Have a very blessed day!

Comment

[QB]Bobby Rahal:

“I’ve said it before and, unfortunately the record proves it . . . I think it’s a very dangerous series. Davey Hamilton, Richie Hearn . . . Jason Priestley had about as much business being in one of those cars (Infiniti Pro Series) as my 13-year-old son. These cars aren’t stock cars, they are fast race cars and when I’m at Indianapolis I worry every time a guy I’m close to goes out in one of my cars.”
                QB][/QUOTE]

Well, lets see, knocking the talent level of the drivers hasn't worked, neither have the knocks on attendance, sponsers, tracks, etc. And the spec series criticisms have really come back to haunt them. Now they're gonna help the world see the light by bringing the safety of the cars into question. Good luck gentlemen. Obviously subscribers to the theory "a man never stands quite so tall as when he puts another down."

Comment

Maybe Rahal can negotiate another race at Texas for the vertigo heroes.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: doitagain ]
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2008 5A Football State Champs
                  2015 6A Football State Champs
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                  2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Here's the thing that I'm surprised nobody's commented on... A sanctioning body is apparently trying to entice a driver who is under contract in another series to break a contract. Now I've heard of teams enticing drivers to break contracts (happens all the time in F1, but at some point it's happened at least once in every series), but I've never heard of a sanctioning body being involved in it. One of the purposes of sanctioning bodies is supposed to be to keep a lid on shenanigans like this.

If CART permits one of their teams to sign Scheckter and Cheever isn't compensated, this will constitute the most severe escalation since the U.S. 500. It could force IMS to have to reject the Indy 500 entries of CART teams that aren't running full time in the IRL (especially if one of those teams plans to use Scheckter as a cherry-picker).

There was a time, not so long ago, when ACCUS could have very quickly put a lid on this sort of thing... Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by cornutt:
                      <STRONG>If CART permits one of their teams to sign Scheckter and Cheever isn't compensated, this will constitute the most severe escalation since the U.S. 500. It could force IMS to have to reject the Indy 500 entries of CART teams that aren't running full time in the IRL (especially if one of those teams plans to use Scheckter as a cherry-picker). </STRONG>
                      You've got it all wrong, Cornutt. Should a CART team sign Scheckter, it represents the IRL's most effective attack on CART to date. Nothing will decimate their already slim car counts like Tommy the Horny Test driver free to wreak havoc in CART races. I'd say Cheever's compensation is being finally rid of the untalented little snot-nose.
                      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

I think that Tomas would be perfect for CART since they will race almost exclusively on road courses next year. He's fast, I'm sure that everyone here will admit that, but unlike on an oval where his inevitable mistakes always put him into the wall, on a road course when his talent takes him into the lead and then his immaturity or lack of concentration causes him to make a mistake all that happens is that he goes off-line runs over a little bit of grass and then he goes right back at it perhaps without even losing the lead. With Newman/Haas or with Player's Sheckter could be a consistent winner in CART.
                        "they(NASCAR fans) know the difference between George Mack and Tony Stewart" - hdolan 8/31/02

Comment

Originally posted by TinPusher:
                          <STRONG>I think that Tomas would be perfect for CART since they will race almost exclusively on road courses next year. He's fast, I'm sure that everyone here will admit that, but unlike on an oval where his inevitable mistakes always put him into the wall, on a road course when his talent takes him into the lead and then his immaturity or lack of concentration causes him to make a mistake all that happens is that he goes off-line runs over a little bit of grass and then he goes right back at it perhaps without even losing the lead. With Newman/Haas or with Player's Sheckter could be a consistent winner in CART.</STRONG>
                          Would that make CART the easier series to drive in then?

Comment

TinPusher,

He may set a new record though for carnage on the street courses. You know, the "concrete canyons".

jmart

Comment

To be fair and accurate, Rahal is taking considerable heat from many CART fans who although they loathe the IRL still recognize foot in mouth disease when they see it.

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Can we tear ourselves away from the Tomas-bashing now? I think its moved beyond reacting to circumstances. . .

Thanks.
                                "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X