Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Scheckter's Welcome in CART"

SCHECKTER’S WELCOME IN CART

Tomas Scheckter’s abrupt departure from Cheever Racing’s Indy Racing League program for what is being termed “safety reasons” drew a fair amount of attention in the CART paddock in Montreal.

Scheckter, of course, has been blistering fast - but accident prone - in his rookie IRL campaign, but came through to win the Michigan 400 in July. “We’ve got to get that guy a test,” said CART president and CEO Chris Pook. “We’re juggling some testing schedules right now to get him in a car.”

CART team owners mentioned in connection with a Scheckter test include Carl Haas - looking for at least one driver next year in the wake of Christian Fittipaldi’s departure to Petty Enterprises - and Bobby Rahal. Haas is reported to have expressed an interest in the South African, while noting his penchant for crashing.

Rahal, meanwhile, brings an altogether more interesting perspective to the situation, having worked with Scheckter during their brief association with Jaguar, an association that ended when Rahal dismissed the former World Champion’s son from the Jaguar development program after he his arrest for soliciting a prostitute in London.

“I like Tomas,” said Rahal. “Even when I had to get rid of him it was like firing your son . . . ‘Tomas! You just don’t do that.’

“But yes, I would love to test him. I think Tomas is a helluva race car driver. He’s a sharp young man. He has the sort of glow around him that attracts people to him and I think he would be a great addition to our series.”
    And makes absolutely sure you read Rahal's "safety" comments that start with:

“I’ve said it before and, unfortunately the record proves it - I think it’s a very dangerous series. . . ."
    :mad:

Sorry, from:

David Phillips SpeedTv notes

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: 220mph ]

OK there are some here who say Scheckter is a VVanker. If so, why all of the interest from CART owners?
    IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Just like vultures ready to devour a carcass. It figures. Relying on a disgruntled ex-IRL employee to help their series/cause. Yawn...

Comment

less walls for him to knock down on Road courses. not as expensive sliding off into sand traps.
        Think of all the carbon fibre thats breathing a sigh of relief this weekend
        Live like Dave

Comment

Owners will turn a blind eye to anything to get a guy that can take it to the front, they only start to whine when the repair bills mount up. It was a given that Tomas would end up in CART next year and that Pook would embrace him. If Pook can't get a token IRL team, at least he may get a driver or two. That won't stop the bleeding, it isn't tit for tat, the score card is ugly and the IRL is winning the game.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman:
            <STRONG>OK there are some here who say Scheckter is a VVanker. If so, why all of the interest from CART owners?</STRONG>
            Because they think Shekky will bring Red Bull with him.
            Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by 220mph:
              <STRONG>And makes absolutely sure you read Rahal's "safety" comments that start with:

quote:
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “I’ve said it before and, unfortunately the record proves it - I think it’s a very dangerous series. . . ."
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, from:

David Phillips SpeedTv notes

</STRONG>
              I used to have a lot of respect for Bobby Rahal. Now, he ranks right up there with Michael Shumacher in my book.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
              "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

I hope that Hannible Scheckter (yes, I coined the phrase) is happy in CART. I won't miss him. He week after week screwed up my TSO fantasy league standings.

Comment

how can we be nice when people say things like rahal did.

it 's hard.

it's really hard.

not only is that a desperately mean spirited comment, it's so unbelievably WRONG.

if tomas crashes as much in cart as he did here,

we won't be talking about him much longer.

I don't think I crossed any lines there.
                  It's a brand new day.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak_IndyFan:
                    <STRONG>

I used to have a lot of respect for Bobby Rahal. Now, he ranks right up there with Michael Shumacher in my book.

:mad: :mad: :mad:</STRONG>
                    yeah, Bobby was talented...but I'm not quite ready to go that far!

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman:
                      <STRONG>OK there are some here who say Scheckter is a VVanker. If so, why all of the interest from CART owners?</STRONG>
                      Because he has the talent of crashing perfectly set up, championship capable racecars, down to an art form.
                      "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." (Theodore Roosevelt 1918)

Comment

let Cart have him!!! he's perfect for a series with foreign road racers that whine and never take the blame for any of their accidents. even though it was a "feel-good" story when Bobby won the 500, i wish "Coogan" would've restarted the race a little better. Rahal has always been a whiner in a series with a whole host of people of his ilk.{Tracy, Andretti, Barry Green, Chris Pook, DaMatta, the list is endless.
                        give me Boat, Fisher, Buhl, Lazier(x2), Unser, etc. any day.
                        this is where we walked
                        this is where we swam
                        take a picture here
                        take a souvenier

Comment

Is that a pickle in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Chris Pook is like a bad anime episode.

Sheck-ya-later-BYE!

Berating the entire continent before he wakes up scratching!, methinks.

Juan's grandma.....
                          "I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spotted some land" ~Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

A rampart is a bulwark!

Comment

It's long afer midnight and I'm tired
                            of this crap. Scheckter? Scheckter who?
                            There is a strong field for tomorrows
                            race, I don't think he'll be missed.

Just another free space in the bingo
                            game of life. Half his career so far
                            has been nothing but name recognition.
                            Granted, he is a talented driver, but
                            Duke Nalon, Eddie Sachs, Rick Mears and
                            AJ Foyt have pieces of guys like this
                            in their stool.

Race on...

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak_IndyFan:
                              <STRONG>

:mad: :mad: :mad:</STRONG>
                              And if you don't like schumacher, you go UP a notch in my book!

Edited comment; that came out wrong. I don't like schumacher either. If you don't like him, you are ok with me.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Doc Austin ]
                              "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X