Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaders circle

http://www.indyracing.com/press/story.php?id=326

Great news. We were all wondering what steps the IRL would take to help the teams running the whole schedule. This should help.

Comment

The announcement didn't give the details I'd like to see, but it is a nice start.

I'm wondering how much the 24 teams in the program will save over the course of a year. And how much is the bonus program going to be changed.

The increased sanctioning fees for the non-program teams may be an "anti-wanker" move.
      We flipped our finger to the King of England
      Stole our country from the Indians
      With god on our side and guns in our hands
      We took it for our own!

Comment

The price of poker just went up, boys...

The 'Circle' is capped at 24 cars -- interesting. This seems to be a big incentive for teams to run the whole season. So much for the "TG just promotes Indy, the rest is filler" theories.

Admittedly, I don't follow all the impacts of this annoucement. Could the kind IRL / IMS insiders on this board share their thoughts?

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
        "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Sounds good to me. Probably not that significant to the Penske's, Menard's and Kelley's of the IRL, but should be VERY significant to the PDM's, Schmidt's and TBA's of the league. Also, unless I am reading it wrong, will the financial help go to the top 24 in points? Will this persuade some teams to hire a more qualified driver? All in all, sounds like a nice incentive to show up at all of the races.
          IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

My question is" How are the 24 to be decided? First come, first served? Swear an oath that they'll show up for all 15? What if a team backs out or folds? Is Penske too rich to be eligible?

Just kinda like to know the details. . .
            "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed:
              <STRONG>My question is" How are the 24 to be decided? First come, first served? Swear an oath that they'll show up for all 15? What if a team backs out or folds? Is Penske too rich to be eligible?

Just kinda like to know the details. . .</STRONG>
              My "ASSUMPTION" is that they'll go in order based on owner points from last year first. THEN, use entries for 2002. You'll probably need to enter ALL the races for 2002 NOW in order to qualify for the program.

Another question. They are giving you the 30k required electronics. What happens when you wreck? Do you get another set of stuff, or does it come out of your insurance settlement, etc.

Detail folks. I LOVE details.

It looks to me that the OPERATIONAL costs are being lowered. Which makes the race to race costs a little lower. The CAPITAL costs are already about as low as you can get and run 225mph.

The next key is the INCOME portion of this program. Is it higher than the 22k guarantee from last year (plus 10k for running last). I'd really like to see the top 24 walking for 50k every race. That'll be tough to pull off, but would go a long way for the SSM's and PDM's of the world.
              We took it for our own!

Comment

If based on the Top 24 in points, does this mean another Howard "What was bad with CART, is acceptable in IRL?" thread?

Might be interesting to hear.

Or was the franchise system, a great thing about CART?

So when the powerhouses take the Top24, plus get free stuff and support, meanwhile the entry fee goes up for start up teams not in the Top24, will this help the little guys in the future?

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: rodneyh ]

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh:
                  <STRONG>If based on the Top 24 in points, does this mean another Howard "What was bad with CART, is acceptable in IRL?" thread?

Might be interesting to hear.

Or was the franchise system, a great thing about CART?

So when the powerhouses take the Top24, plus get free stuff and support, meanwhile the entry fee goes up for start up teams not in the Top24, will this help the little guys in the future?

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: rodneyh ]</STRONG>
                  This will be PURELY based on points I'm willing to bet. It sounds similar to the NASCAR Winner's Circle programs. And the WoO Top 20 Program. Everyone takes care of their full time teams (and SHOULD).

The CART franchises could be SOLD to others and they came with voting rights, etc. I don't see this as the same thing.

And the OLD IRL system rewarded the Top 20 in points. This expands that to the top 24. So to me, TG is reaching out even further to help more little guys.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: step33 ]
                  We took it for our own!

Comment

"Also, unless I am reading it wrong, will the financial help go to the top 24 in points? Will this persuade some teams to hire a more qualified driver? All in all, sounds like a nice incentive to show up at all of the races. "

How many "regular" teams are there in the IRL...can't be much more than 24...can you say franchises...

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh:
                      <STRONG>So when the powerhouses take the Top24, plus get free stuff and support, meanwhile the entry fee goes up for start up teams not in the Top24, will this help the little guys in the future?</STRONG>
                      All part of my wondering, rodney. I realize that this is a cost-lowering systems to get teams in for the long-haul this season, but there are a few teams who really don't need that assistance.

What would Bill Gates do with his monthly Social Security check?
                      "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

My biggest question, alluded to in another post, is what happens when a "full-season" participant decides to sit a race out, or doesn't have the equipment to run after a practice crash? This is what has bothered me about the IRL bonus paid at Indy to "full-time" teams. If someone decides to sit out Richmond do they have to cough up the 30K for their free electronics.

I'm not sure these sorts of programs are worth the headache. Racing costs money (duh!). Lowering costs is a fine goal, but corporate welfare has always left me queasy.

akh

Comment

Isn't the sentiment around here to have a solid 24. If we have a solid 24, the supposed big and great teams will be IRl Teams, the ride buyers will have to convince the Chip's, Menards, and Rogers that they are not ride buyers but drivers. This is a good thing.

Every other post is about shotty ride buyers with no experience getting to drive. If you don't have the bank for a full year and you don't get with a solid team, you will be ride buying in the IPS. Which IMO is where half of these guys need to be.

This is a great move. It will keep the top teams in the league. It will bolster the IPS. It will force the CART teams to make a quicker decision on the IRL.

Good Thinking guys!
                          Round and round we go, where it stops......

Comment

Originally posted by step33:
                            <STRONG>The CART franchises could be SOLD to others and they came with voting rights, etc. I don't see this as the same thing.</STRONG>
                            So was that the only problem some had with the Franchise system, voting rights?

Nothing about preferential treatment, difficulties of non-franchise teams being competitive?

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed:
                              <STRONG>

What would Bill Gates do with his monthly Social Security check? </STRONG>
                              Deposit it into the bank.
                              We took it for our own!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X