Tomas's safety concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomas's safety concern

One of the reasons for Tomas's quitting Team Cheever was a so-called "safety concern". Do you think that concern could be that Hideki Noda is back in the IRL this weekend? (remember Fontana).
    IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

my guess is that something happened at the Indy tire test that got Tomas' shorts in a knot. Same childish Tomas, Cheever gives him an added seat time opportunity, and he shows his fanny. Tomas could be a superstar, from the neck down.

Comment

Something to do with the blown tyre at the last race?
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

I think he had a legitimate safety concern. As many times as he's put it in the wall, the odds are that sooner or later he'll end up getting hurt. It was his own agressive driving style that is the safety concern. I wonder if 1 or 2 crashes may have been due to worn tires, possibly caused by the line he took.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfboy:
          <STRONG>I think he had a legitimate safety concern. As many times as he's put it in the wall, the odds are that sooner or later he'll end up getting hurt. </STRONG>
          Exactly... it's only a matter of time before Eddie would haul off and kick his arse!
          "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

We've only heard two words from Scheckter: "Safety reasons." That might be something to help him get out of his contract after he and Eddie went "at it" all season. Eddie has wanted to fire him before his win at Michigan. It might be just his turn to say, "I quit."
            "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Jimmy: I don't think so.
              Ensign 14: Maybe.

But the best scenario I read was by someone knowledgable on another forum. He said this, and I think it's right on.

Team Cheever has wrecked at least 7 cars and likely several tubs in the process. The team as we know has no insurance cover and is in all probability running short of money.

So, perhaps Team Cheever has decided to give Tomas a repaired tub rather than buy a new one. Tomas tells Cheever he is not happy with a repaired tub and is concerned over the structural integrity of the repaired tub, especially if the tub were to sustain a second hit in the repaired part.

So we have Tomas on one hand saying I won't run a repaired tub because of concerns over his safety, and Team Cheever on the other hand saying this is what you'll race with. Impasse sets in.

I've heard of this happening and other drivers refusing to drive a fixed tub.

Comment

The TCRB cars must be safe because Tomas walked away from SEVEN wrecked ones!!
                Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiorentina 1:
                  <STRONG>Jimmy: I don't think so.
                  Ensign 14: Maybe.

But the best scenario I read was by someone knowledgable on another forum. He said this, and I think it's right on.

Team Cheever has wrecked at least 7 cars and likely several tubs in the process. The team as we know has no insurance cover and is in all probability running short of money.

So, perhaps Team Cheever has decided to give Tomas a repaired tub rather than buy a new one. Tomas tells Cheever he is not happy with a repaired tub and is concerned over the structural integrity of the repaired tub, especially if the tub were to sustain a second hit in the repaired part.

So we have Tomas on one hand saying I won't run a repaired tub because of concerns over his safety, and Team Cheever on the other hand saying this is what you'll race with. Impasse sets in.

I've heard of this happening and other drivers refusing to drive a fixed tub.</STRONG>
                  Sounds reasonable to me. However, it was his responsibility to take care of the cars in the first place. However, I do understand those concern. Excellent post.
                  He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

IRL chief steward Brian Barnhart said there are no safety issues with Cheever's cars. He noted the experience of the team's mechanics. "Owen Snyder and Greg Beck are two of the best in this garage area," he said.
                    Scheckter says he will return to race in IRL

Comment

After seeing Tomas Scheckter wreck out so many times this year, I think that he is a major safety concern.

The race will be a much safer one without him...

How can we miss you Tomas if you don't go away?

Don't go away mad, just go away.
                      If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIndyFan:
                        <STRONG>After seeing Tomas Scheckter wreck out so many times this year, I think that he is a major safety concern.

The race will be a much safer one without him...

How can we miss you Tomas if you don't go away?

Don't go away mad, just go away.</STRONG>
                        ROTFLMAO Thanx Tex, and a tip o de hat to Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks

"You Say You're Leaving, But You Only Stay And Stay,
                        How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?"
                        "I'm a Rodeo-de-oh-deo-deo-de-Cowboy borderin on the Insane"

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't lead a hortaculture"

"When The Going Get's Wierd, The Wierd Turn Pro"

Comment

Thank God this spoiled little sh1t didn't win Indy this year...

Comment

Originally posted by crispy:
                            <STRONG>Thank God this spoiled little sh1t didn't win Indy this year...</STRONG>
                            Are you talking about Tomas or Tracy???
                            IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

The saftey concern is that Tomas heard all the comments all week long from the other drivers about how difficult it is to setup a car and drive at Gateway. Tomas figured he can't drive a straight oval without crashing so he knew what would happen at Gateway and showed his chicken rear end by leaving.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X