For all those who are shocked at Sheckter's quitting:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all those who are shocked at Sheckter's quitting:

I have a question: What did you expect? IMO, this ending was completely predictable and probably inevitable.

From his very first TV interview on the grid at Homestead, Scheckter has shown zero respect and/or regard for the IRL, his competitors, his team owner, and oval racing in general. He's been unapologetic after putting other racers in the wall, and after turning Dallara after Dallara into so much carbon fiber confetti.

When it was rumored, prior to MIS, that he was to be fired, he said that he had "plenty of bigger and better offers" on the line. Apparently, he's convinced enough of that to decide to no-show.

My opinion, from the get-go, was that Tomas in the IRL was a way of TWR and Red Bull dumping a problem over here, and out of the line of sight in Europe. Apparently, their problem may be heading back home. I hope so, frankly.

I just don't get the shock and outrage. Sure, Cheever has had a rough week of it. But IMO, this action is in keeping with the rest of Tomas' season, and was the ONLY way this little soap opera could have ended.

Perhaps IRL teams should focus on drivers who want to race openwheel cars on ovals, and who have shown an ability to win (and thus, finish while going fast) a number of races.
    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Like Buddy Rice??

Comment

Originally posted by Dreyerfan:
      <STRONG>Like Buddy Rice??</STRONG>
      Well, Rice is certainly an improvement over Tomas. Rice DID say in an interview just a few days after his outstanding debut that he really wanted to be in CART, so...
      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Dreyerfan:
        <STRONG>Like Buddy Rice??</STRONG>
        I don't think that is what he meant. I'm thinking Steele or Yeley.
        IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Yeah, right. At one point I was almost convinced that he would want to stay here, at least for the near future. Now he shows he doesn't even care about the ROTY points.

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: GermanIRLFan ]
          Hendrik Gerhardt

Comment

I'm neither shocked nor dismayed by Scheckter's leaving. I've always regarded him as immature and arrogant. I'd like to see Cheever put a driver in that car whose ambition it is to be successful in the IRL and not use it as a stepping-stone to another series. Yeah, right ! Like that's gonna happen....
            "It's not the split, it's not the lack of marketing, it's not the days the races run on, it's the product." Tommy Kendall

"....and the DRIVERS are the product !" SJFast

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter:
              <STRONG>Perhaps IRL teams should focus on drivers who want to race openwheel cars on ovals, and who have shown an ability to win (and thus, finish while going fast) a number of races.</STRONG>

Exactly. The current way of doing business with most owners obviously ain't working and isn't going to work.

Hire drivers (no matter what nationality and from what discipline they come from--although I would prefer at least 75% to be from the U.S.) who want to be in the IRL for the long-term. Don't keep hiring guys who are looking to move to other series. Don't hire drivers who would rather be road racing. Hire drivers the American race fan can get behind and root for/against.

There are a few IRL owners who seem to be bucking the trend. Tom Kelley hired Tony Renna. He wants to race in the IRL. This is where he wants to race. Not CART. Not NASCAR. Not F1. He took a chance on the kid and he is showing that he could be a star. Hopefully some other owners have taken note.
              IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks:
                <STRONG>

There are a few IRL owners who seem to be bucking the trend. Tom Kelley hired Tony Renna. He wants to race in the IRL.</STRONG>
                Same with Scott Sharp.
                IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I bet few if anyone that follows the sport would be classified as "shocked" or "outraged" at Tomas's leaving. He was very fast, which I think we all liked; but he had problems on ovals.

The only "outrage" and "shock" I feel is him quiting in the middle of the season after such disasterous results (in terms of wreckage). That alone is bad enough, but to put his former team through a departure without any notice until a day before a race, not to mention during a time period in which the team owner is dealing with the loss of his father, is quite selfish.

Comment

Don't believe everything you read...

Tomas was in St. Louis on Wednesday and Thursday for Red Bull events.

Does that sound like he was planning to not race this weekend?

Believe me, there is much more to this...

Comment

RB52:

We'll see, I guess. However, one is responsible for one's own actions, since it's evident he wasn't fired.

Heck, he's 21 yrs old - with a lot of time, name recognition, and ability to start anew elsewhere. His depareture was probably was in the cards all along. I just don't like what I've heard from his "camp" thus far. (Safety concerns in auto racing? No kidding!)

Comment

"Perhaps IRL teams should focus on drivers who want to race openwheel cars on ovals, and who have shown an ability to win (and thus, finish while going fast) a number of races." by Racewriter

God forbid "that" should happen!
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Doesn't matter what series. Jaguar, said they released him for actions detrimental to the sport of auto racing. Not F1 not IRL,the sport of auto racing. That should have been a clue.
                          sa

Comment

Racewriter, calm down. We're not that upset. It's going to be fine. He's a kid with a ton of raw talent sans the necessary maturity to mold it. Eddie was perfect for the kid, but the kid was to arrogant/immature to know how good a mentor he had in the IRL.

Look, the IRL will be fine without him. I hate to see the guy go, but good riddance. The way he did it is the most chickensh*t way one can. Totally classless and without merit. If he does decide the 'Everything's a Dollar' series is his best next destination, he'll fit right in from an ethics standpoint.

Go get 'em Tomas.

Comment

Racewriter; you are correct sir!
                              "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
                              With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X