Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Stewart Die-cast snafu?

I just got my new Tony Stewart 2001 Indy 500
    1/18 diecast.(Direct from the TS website)

On the topside of the bright red TCGR G-Force
    engine cover it says "Oldsmobile", naturally.
    But when you remove the cover, the engine itself reads.......CHEVROLET??? Complete with little red bowtie???
    "The guys on the IRL side went beyond fair. It would have been easy for either side to back out, but this time they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."..... Jimmy Vasser on the merger.

Originally posted by IRL Dan:
    <STRONG>I just got my new Tony Stewart 2001 Indy 500
    1/18 diecast.(Direct from the TS website)

On the topside of the bright red TCGR G-Force
    engine cover it says "Oldsmobile", naturally.
    But when you remove the cover, the engine itself reads.......CHEVROLET??? Complete with little red bowtie???
    </STRONG>
    I'm still trying to get the story on that. I even pointed it out to the people who run Tony's retail website and she didn't even know about it until I told her.

Comment

Maybe they just tried to get a head start on the 2002 Tony Stewart die-cast and hoped nobody would notice.
      Just when you think everything is foolproof, you find a really talented fool.

Comment

Don't complain about it. Anytime a die cast manufacturer make this kind of snafu, the value of the model skyrockets. And this is particularly true if only a small number of them got out that way. There are probably going to be licensing problems and recalls, but forget it. Hang onto it and cash out when the money is real good. Or, hang on to it for a great conversation peice.
        I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
          <STRONG>Don't complain about it. Anytime a die cast manufacturer make this kind of snafu, the value of the model skyrockets. And this is particularly true if only a small number of them got out that way. There are probably going to be licensing problems and recalls, but forget it. Hang onto it and cash out when the money is real good. Or, hang on to it for a great conversation peice.</STRONG>
          No recalls. No problems. Just wrong engine heads.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor83:
            <STRONG>

No recalls. No problems. Just wrong engine heads.</STRONG>
            Not unlike the road course front wings they usually have. An error the mfg doesn't care about.

Comment

That model will not increase in value as a result of the mistake. Only if they produced a couple and the rest had the Olds. That is not the case thought. Action doesn't give a **** about it. It was the last modle they needed to produce to finish out 2001 so they did get a jump on 2002.

The car will hold value becvause it is Tony and the NASCAR fans don't car what the engine says.

Comment

Originally posted by Grover:
                <STRONG>
                Not unlike the road course front wings they usually have. An error the mfg doesn't care about.</STRONG>
                The Montoya/Indy 500 car('00 Action) and TS/Home Depot('99 Maisto) car both had the wrong wings on them since neither ran on short track. They weren't road course wings, they were short track wings. I heard Action's excuse on the Montoya car but I forget what it was. Maisto just didn't care.

Comment

I got the Maisto '99 at half price for ordering the '01 car. The wings was the first thing I noticed when I pulled it out of the box. The second thing I noticed was what a cheap, plastic POS it was, and I was real glad I got it half off.

As for the anomaly with the '01 engine, I have no intent to ever sell it, so I'm not concerned with whether it's more valuable or not. I collect the cars 'cause I think they're cool.

If I could afford it, I would have a full size car sitting downstairs, as a "conversation piece"
                  "The guys on the IRL side went beyond fair. It would have been easy for either side to back out, but this time they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."..... Jimmy Vasser on the merger.

Comment

Originally posted by IRL Dan:
                    <STRONG>If I could afford it, I would have a full size car sitting downstairs, as a "conversation piece" </STRONG>
                    They'll put you away for talking to cars.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRL Dan:
                      "so I'm not concerned with whether it's more valuable or not. I collect the cars 'cause I think they're cool"

well, you've got it figured out then. Why collect something you don't think is cool? And if anyone is so worried about that, what happens if the coolest car you have becomes too valuable to keep? Would you be temped to sell something you reeeeeeeeeally like?

You are doing it right, my man. Collect it because you like it. If it becomes valuable, it's a bonus.
                      I'm dead now.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X