Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why is Walker's CART team more secure than his IRL team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why is Walker's CART team more secure than his IRL team?

Strange set of articles on SV where Derrick says that sponsorship for his IRL team is touch and go (or possibly gone and went), but that the sponsorship for his CART team is fine. Is this Tora bringing the $$$ and Sarah not. Interesting isn't it that Sarah's popularity (with unknowing race fans I would guess) doesn't translate into funding the team. I guess that is a sign of maturity in the IRL.
    Sifaka

It is interesting to me why she does not have several sponsors in her camp--maybe sponsors don't like to deal with Walker? At one time didn't Walker have some good sponsors in Cart?
    All is well in the Champcar world (momentum, engines, schedule, attendance) unless you like racing ;)

Comment

Sarah is far and away the IRL's most popular driver... even more so than Unser. I am as confused by this as I am by Walker not being able to secure an impressive sponsorship package for her. Her appeal with the public is undeniable, regardless of her on-track attributes.

You would think that there would be some large female related product manufactuer just dying to get the names of their pads on Sarah's pods.

(Can I say that?)

I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything, sif. Rest assured, teh IRL will have Sarah Fisher driving in it in 2002, mature or otherwise. Too much good PR and fan attraction for "somebody" not to pick up the tab.
      Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

I think it is interesting. I also don't know how many sponsors Tora brings but based on his (lack of) talent I would hope its plenty.

Its also interesting that the IRL's Nashville race just landed Firestone as a sponsor while according to this:
        try here.

CART's Portland race just lost its sponsor.

Bottom line is that sponsor money was tight and it just got tighter.

edited to shorten link.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: rev-ed ]
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

1 WIN, and the sponsors start flying in.

People don't buy potential, they buy results.
          We flipped our finger to the King of England
          Stole our country from the Indians
          With god on our side and guns in our hands
          We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
            <STRONG>Is this Tora bringing the $$$ and Sarah not. </STRONG>
            Yup.

I do agree that Sarah should be an "easy sell" for a sponsor. Perhaps last year is coming back to bite her right about now. . .
            "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Originally posted by step33:
              <STRONG>1 WIN, and the sponsors start flying in.

People don't buy potential, they buy results.</STRONG>
              Yep! Just ask Jim Guthrie! Sorry, couldn't resist.)
              Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vino21:
                <STRONG>maybe sponsors don't like to deal with Walker? </STRONG>
                Maybe its his dynamic web site?
                http://www.walkerracing.com

Center Grove Trojans
                2008 5A Football State Champs
                2015 6A Football State Champs
                2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

I am pretty sure that the only thing that Tora brings to Walker is support from Toyota, but I could be wrong.

Also, you don't completely dominate the Formula Nippon championship like he did without possesing a lot of talent. If Tora worked as hard as the top drivers at staying physically fit and tried to use his brain before trying impossible passing attempts, I think he could do a pretty respectable job in CART.

Comment

Yep sif, Tora comes with the engine package, that is why, when the two series run on the same weekend, Walker stays with Tora. This thread won't give you the answer you seek, most don't!

Comment

He must have spent all the Kroger money on that web site.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: KineticEnergyX2 ]

Comment

How many people here know who Jeff Agoos is?

Sarah and Tora both attract money proportional to their popularity. Tora, is a big draw in Japan. (Where they call him "The Tiger") Hence Japanese companys want their name associated with him.

Someone stated that she is more popular than Al Unser, Jr. She is, and accordingly, she's been able to attract more sponsorship dollars. While she might be the most popular driver in the IRL, that doesn't mean that she is anywhere near a household name.

The same can be said about Jeff Agoos. He received the most votes for the Major League Soccer All-Star game. But, I bet most people here have never heard of him. (I hadn't!) Being most popular among a small group of people doesn't automatically make you a household name, and a huge corporate draw.

Comment

Originally posted by manson:
                          <STRONG>
                          You would think that there would be some large female related product manufactuer just dying to get the names of their pads on Sarah's pods.

(Can I say that?)

</STRONG>
                          I'd kind of like to get on Sarah's pods...don't tell Mrs. Racewriter...
                          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Just my guess, but I'd imagine Walker's price to stick your name on the sidepod is much higher than most IRL teams will accept, having been accustomed to the higher sponsorship budgets of CART.

What a sponsor gets in return from a team varies. My company, whom I won't mention because they are a CART team sponsor, much to my dismay, used to get all kinds of free access to the hospitality tents, catered food etc. They switched teams last year and the new team requires additional money for access to the hospitality stuff.

My contact in my company who also hobnobs with the boys in CART said he thinks Sarah is a hot commodity and doesn't understand why sponsors aren't taking advantage of that. Personally, her record last year, whether it was her fault or not did not help her cause at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
                              <STRONG>I guess that is a sign of maturity in the IRL.</STRONG>
                              I guess this is a sign of sarcasm in Sifaka.
                              "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X