TSL says that Foyt won't be at the Test in the West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSL says that Foyt won't be at the Test in the West

I can't understand this on any level. If Foyt doesn't test this year, he is not going to win races and he is not going to compete for the Championship. Perhaps he will be testing privately, but that wouldn't make any sense since the TITW is an open test.

TG formed the IRL with Foyt as a cornerstone team, but Foyt has really done very little to help grow the IRL. He will have a foreign ride buyer driving for him for 3 years, after preaching the evils of such practice while in CART. And his NASCAR team has further diluted his IRL effort.

AJ what is up?
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

I still don't consider a qualified driver that brings personal sponsorship to be a "ride buyer". To each his (or her) own, I guess. I was pleased to see that Ganassi will be at the TITW.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: ZenMan ]
    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Foyt has always been given a lot of room by IRL fans. I find it Ironic over the past couple years how he has gotten more and more criticism.

Foyt spoke his mind a couple years back and people have since blown it off.

"These other races are just fillers" (maybe not exact).

And that is the way he has acted. He doesn't care if he runs one or two cars for the season. Yet Salazar is going to bring enough cash to the table to make it worth while. Foyt doesn't get serious until May. He pulls all the stops out and tries to get 3 cars in the field. The rest of the year it is back to his family and the NASCAR effort.

Foyt is not the team the IRL should be looking toward. Kelly and Penske are the teams. With more CART teams coming to the IRL Foyt knows the honeymoon is over and it is just a matter of time before the big spenders figure out the ways to get the stuff it takes to win. It won't be long and he will be b!tching.
      Last edited by doitagain; 11-13-2004, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I tend to agree with you Mista Bone...Foyt looks more and more like an Indy effort...

Comment

I'm not real sure about the TSL info it may very well be correct, but the article about Salazar's new ride said he would be testing at Phoenix. I'm not sure why he would say that unless he meant a private test.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by CrewChief:
            <STRONG>I'm not real sure about the TSL info it may very well be correct, but the article about Salazar's new ride said he would be testing at Phoenix. I'm not sure why he would say that unless he meant a private test.</STRONG>
            From a very good source, Foyt will not participate in the "open test"

Comment

AJ made the mistake of not testing much later in his career, and his team will continue to pay the price. Just showing up, getting some data, and getting some bugs worked out are worth their weight in gold.

Question: If from 1978 until he retired AJ had driven for a top notch team, and only had to worry about driving (Newmann Haas, Penske) how would he have done?

Comment

BTW, with the new IRL rule on number of private test tires allowed during the year, and the fact that tires used in the Test in the West do not count against the limit for private testing, it does not make a lot of sense to use some of your private test tires at Phoenix or California and not participate in the open test

Comment

There maybe some other reason for Foyt missing the TITW.

Has he decided on an Engine builder?
                  I know some of the engine builders are still puting deals together with teams.

If he has decided on an engine builder, will they have the new Chevy engines ready in time for the test?
                  I know a few engine builders are scrambling to get engines ready for the test.

Does he have the update kits for the chassis yet?
                  It may be better to wait and test with the equipment you're planning on racing.

It could be that Foyt may just not want everybody at the open test to see where he hides the Nitrous bottle.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: CamKing ]
                  "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
                  Vice President, Marketing
                  IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

Testing is for sissys. Just get in and stomp on it and shut up.

Comment

AJ made the mistake of not testing much later in his career, and his team will continue to pay the price. Just showing up, getting some data, and getting some bugs worked out are worth their weight in gold.
                      Question: If from 1978 until he retired AJ had driven for a top notch team, and only had to worry about driving (Newmann Haas, Penske) how would he have done?
                      It isn't just about testing. Remember that Eddie Cheever left the Foyt team because A.J. insisted on setting up the car himself, and refused to hire an engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMan:
                        <STRONG>I still don't considered a qualified driver that brings personal sponsorship to be a "ride buyer". To each his (or her) own, I guess. I was pleased to see that Ganassi will be at the TITW.</STRONG>

i totally agree here...i dont like eliseo, but he works hard and has sponsors....if he had a check from mommy and daddy, that would be ride buying. plus, you cant apply the ride buying speech to foyt, especially now that beechler is in his car......
                        Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob:
                          <STRONG>Remember that Eddie Cheever left the Foyt team because A.J. insisted on setting up the car himself, and refused to hire an engineer.</STRONG>
                          Well, that and the fact that Eddie was losing his voice from all the shouting and losing his hearing from all the shouting back....

Professor Joe
                          Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

And Foyt wasn't getting results from Cheever........

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Noonan:
                              <STRONG>I can't understand this on any level.</STRONG>
                              What is there NOT to understand. Foyt is not a serious Indy Car team owner.
                              "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X