Not much hope for OW racing in Las Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much hope for OW racing in Las Vegas

This story doesn't leave the door cracked very far for either the IRL or CART...

Las Vegas Sun article

akh

There is no sense in going where you're not wanted.The IRL had a shot and couldn't make it.End of story.

However,I must say that if I had been a casual fan attending that event in 1996,I never would have gone to another IRL race.After that,the league had nowhere to go but up.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: slinger ]
    Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

when you have Phoenix and Fontana, why do you need LV........another 1.5-miler doesn't interest me..........

Comment

That desert sand blowing onto the track used to scare me.

I won't cry if the IRL never goes back, there are too many other tracks out there that I would rather see get the last two or so races.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger:
          <STRONG>There is no sense in going where you're not wanted.The IRL had a shot and couldn't make it.End of story.

However,I must say that if I had been a casual fan attending that event in 1996,I never would have gone to another IRL race.After that,the league had nowhere to go but up.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: slinger ]</STRONG>

I attended and enjoyed all but the first one, didn't live in Vegas at that time. I liked the night race best but it was poorly attended, IMO, due to the weather conditions. The last one was was the best with Al jr winning and the weather was perfect. Attendance was up but I guess it wasn't enough to continue.

Fontana is close enough for an easy drive and I will be there but I would still like to have one here again someday.

Comment

How about this gem from that article

"I would love to have a profitable open-wheel race here but if (ticket sales) are not tied to the Winston Cup ticket that that facility
            is selling ... there's no guarantee it will be profitable," Powell said."(Many tracks) are tying the Winston Cup race to their open-wheel race -- you've got to buy the open-wheel ticket in order to get the Winston Cup tickets."

This practice is what has helped Texas Motor Speedway, also owned by Speedway Motorsports, to attract big crowds to its Indy Racing League events and make them profitable ventures."

So much for why the IRL has drawn on those tracks

Comment

And so much for why CART has had success at Fontana

BTW, how come CART wasn't successful @ Texas, they were tied into the WC tickets too? I guess you actually have to have a race for it to be successful.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: CamKing ]
              "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
              Vice President, Marketing
              IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

While that is the case in Fontana for CART, you have not seen the run-off at the openwheel race like you have at some of the IRL events. Yes the attendance has gone dopwn some but a good 70,000 people is the norm for a sunny day race there. Chicago was even a first year sell out and there were plenty of open seats. Just wait until this year. Can't wait to see the sell out claim then.

LV is smart because they know what will happen. Yes it is all great and fine to do a package but you end up pissing off the fans when it is all said and done. Kentucky fans are buying tickets for a possible WC date, not and IRL date. Texas, Chicago, Kansas City, and Fontana are doing it on WC sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Bone:
                  <STRONG>While that is the case in Fontana for CART, you have not seen the run-off at the openwheel race like you have at some of the IRL events. Yes the attendance has gone dopwn some but a good 70,000 people is the norm for a sunny day race there. Chicago was even a first year sell out and there were plenty of open seats. Just wait until this year. Can't wait to see the sell out claim then.

LV is smart because they know what will happen. Yes it is all great and fine to do a package but you end up pissing off the fans when it is all said and done. Kentucky fans are buying tickets for a possible WC date, not and IRL date. Texas, Chicago, Kansas City, and Fontana are doing it on WC sales.</STRONG>
                  The truth is the CART and IRL ovals tied to NASCAR do well. The CART and IRL ovals not ted to NASCAR suck, and the IRL's suck just a little bit less than CART's. Look at Michigan it went down hill as soon as they stoped tieing the CART race to the Cup race. I think the IRL will draw a little better there, just because they'll promote it and it will be a better deal.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing:
                    <STRONG>The truth is the CART and IRL ovals tied to NASCAR do well. The CART and IRL ovals not ted to NASCAR suck, and the IRL's suck just a little bit less than CART's. Look at Michigan it went down hill as soon as they stoped tieing the CART race to the Cup race. I think the IRL will draw a little better there, just because they'll promote it and it will be a better deal.</STRONG>
                    Yep. I will be interested to see how the IRL does at Michigan. My prediction is the other way. Who knows though. I will be interesting what promotion does for that race. Additionally, CART will not be in Detroit so we will have to see if that helps.

Michigan is just one of those races where you need to be a fan. There is not a lot of local population. In heavily populated areas it is easier to get a good walk-up. Michigan started hurting when Marlboro went to Fontana. It is a great track to see a race though. Good camping too.

Comment

The race I'm interested in seeing is the IRL's Fontana race. I don't think it will draw flies, but I hope I'm wrong. It will be a real test for promoting. A lot of money goes a short way in advertising in SoCal. They didn't get the deal done in time to tie the IRL into the season tickets this year, but I'm sure they will next year. I'll be happy this year if they get over 30k at Fontana.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing:
                        <STRONG>I'll be happy this year if they get over 30k at Fontana.</STRONG>
                        Agreed. The one thing about Fontana though, is you have to want to go there and see the race. LA is so big that people don't even have a clue a race is going on. You better be a race fan basically - and one of IRL racing. To add to that, that **** place is not like Long Beach where you are right down town. It is an absolute haul.

Nice facility though. When is the last time you enetered a track with an offical entrance that was lined with palm trees and had paved parking lots?

Comment

Yeah nappy it sure does explain why people HAVE tickets to those events.

Doesn't explain why they SHOW UP though now does it?

And show up they did.

Kansas City had 100K+ that showed up for not one, but two days in 100 degree heat. The first day you could say they came out of curiosity, with the second day you can only say they came because they were interested.

I know its really hard to resist lobbin' grenades in your bitter little world, but if you're gonna do it you might just try to have a little something worthwhile for ammo.

Chris Powell is a disgruntled track manager who could not, even despite the IRL paying the bills, promote his event in a competent enough fashion to have even a modest success. Sure he'd love a profitable open wheel event. But unlike other tracks that work hard to prmote and build their events LVMS want's it handed to them without risk and without having to work for it.

LVMS is a nice facility in what should be a market that can support an event. Most of us like going there, other than the fact that the last time we froze our butts off. If any track should be able to host a successful event it is LVMS.

Comment

Well I for one wish they would race there because I went to the race twice and loved it. Not to mention it gave you an excuse to go to the strip and gamble.
                            IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I enjoyed my 2 trips to Vegas to see the IRL.

LVMS need to PROMOTE races besides just opening the door. And they have to get the hotels on board. If the hotels are offering packages and transportation, people will come out.

And then do ANYTHING to get the locals to the track.

I'd certainly like to go back.
                              We flipped our finger to the King of England
                              Stole our country from the Indians
                              With god on our side and guns in our hands
                              We took it for our own!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X