IRL Tub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL Tub

I do not recall ever seeing a picture of just an IRL tub. Does anyone have a link to one?

If not, or even if you do, I have a specific question relating to the roll hoops relation to the airbox. I seem to recall reading sometime back that the airbox, at least in part, was integral to the hoop (obviously the part of the box directly over the engine would have to be removable for purposes of servicing the engine). Is this the case and to what extent?

As you can likely guess this is a question that could have probably been posted on the CART side since I am interested in what leeway the CART teams will have to build a car, sans airbox. If the box is basically part of the tub this may not be possible.

Get used to it, CART's version is going to have the same style air scoop as the IRL's. This pipe dream going around that CART's cars won't look almost exactly like the IRL's is nonsense.

The overhead air scoops are there in the IRL and F1, for a reason, because it's the most efficent location for them. You don't figure a F1 team spends millions on wind tunnel testing and then puts the air intake in the wrong place (just to anger a few hard core CART fans do you?)

Just like those once hated rev limiters, you better learn to love the air scoops, because thier coming to your favorite CART race in 2003.

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: AdamM ]

Comment

The airbox has a fiberglass molded piece which connects the air inlet with the air box. The roll hoop is not removable but it doesn't need to be.I'll try to find you a link to look at Napolean.
      SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
      " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon:
        <STRONG>I seem to recall reading sometime back that the airbox, at least in part, was integral to the hoop (obviously the part of the box directly over the engine would have to be removable for purposes of servicing the engine). Is this the case and to what extent?
        </STRONG>
        To answer the original question: Not really, unless things have changed recently. As I recall, with the cover and air ducting removed, the IRL roll hoop looks pretty much like the CART one. There is a ductwork piece, sort of like on a dragster, that goes through the hoop and down to the airbox on top of the engine. Then the engine cover goes on top of the whole thing. I'll try to dig up a pic somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon:
          <STRONG>I do not recall ever seeing a picture of just an IRL tub. Does anyone have a link to one?

If not, or even if you do, I have a specific question relating to the roll hoops relation to the airbox. I seem to recall reading sometime back that the airbox, at least in part, was integral to the hoop (obviously the part of the box directly over the engine would have to be removable for purposes of servicing the engine). Is this the case and to what extent?

As you can likely guess this is a question that could have probably been posted on the CART side since I am interested in what leeway the CART teams will have to build a car, sans airbox. If the box is basically part of the tub this may not be possible.</STRONG>

You're not an IRL fan. Infact you hate the IRL, IRL fans and everything about the IRL. The only reason you're here is to stir up trouble. Go back to seventh sneer!

Comment

"You're not an IRL fan. Infact you hate the IRL, IRL fans and everything about the IRL. The only reason you're here is to stir up trouble. Go back to seventh sneer!"

Can't you just feel the love racefan?

Nap, IMO the only reason CART wouldn't use the scoop would be to make the cars appear different rather than any form of performance inhancement. If the scoop is the fastest way to go then I say use it.
            "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

"As I recall, with the cover and air ducting removed, the IRL roll hoop looks pretty much like the CART one. There is a ductwork piece, sort of like on a dragster, that goes through the hoop and down to the airbox on top of the engine. Then the engine cover goes on top of the whole thing. I'll try to dig up a pic somewhere."

Much appreciated if you can... I'm curious to see a bare tub. I'm under the impression that the inlet orifice is an actual molded piece of the carbon fibre... and that it's shaped more like a hole than a traditional hoop. (or so I thought)

"If the scoop is the fastest way to go then I say use it."

Ironically, with the need to keep oval speeds in check, that may be the best reason NOT to use it (as well as the whole rearwing/endplate oversteer air thing)
              motorcaster.com

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird:
                <STRONG>"You're not an IRL fan. Infact you hate the IRL, IRL fans and everything about the IRL. The only reason you're here is to stir up trouble. Go back to seventh sneer!"

Nap, IMO the only reason CART wouldn't use the scoop would be to make the cars appear different rather than any form of performance inhancement. If the scoop is the fastest way to go then I say use it.</STRONG>
                Actually Railbird I think the Vegas Duo has a point. I just found basically the same question on another forum asked by a member named Napoleon. Of course over there it was called a [email protected]@gon not an IRL tub. Hard to not think that there could be a case for trolling or trouble starting when you read stuff like that.

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: IndyIRLman ]
                IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I have not checked out this link for a while but perhaps G-Force will have a pix
                  http://www.gforceracing.net/index.htm
                  Gary Crossno

Comment

<STRONG>"You're not an IRL fan. Infact you hate the IRL, IRL fans and everything about the IRL. The only reason you're here is to stir up trouble. Go back to seventh sneer!"

Nap, IMO the only reason CART wouldn't use the scoop would be to make the cars appear different rather than any form of performance inhancement. If the scoop is the fastest way to go then I say use it.</STRONG>

Here's the way he put the same question on seventh sneer:
                    -------------------------------------------

"I was going to start this as a different thread but maybe it fits here.

It seems to me at some point I learned/ was told that the roll hoop on the c-rapwagon was integral to the air box.

Is this true?

If so this is part of the tub, right? So would that mean CART is stuck with the air box which makes the gomermobiles look like one of the worst race cars on the face of the Earth."

-------------------------------------------

See what I mean? BTW, I edited the c-rapwagon word so it would appear here the way he put it there.

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: vegasduo ]

Comment

I saw the exact same thing.
                      :mad:

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: IndyIRLman ]
                      IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

What a goofball.

Comment

Or how about this one from Nappo?
                          --------------------------------------------

"BTW for the record, I don't like an air box on any car - IRL, F-1, Can-Am, Formula Fords, Formula Vee, Lawnmower, etc.

Its like a woman with a third eye right in the middle of her forehead. Using that example though an IRL car is like Rosie O'Donnell or Mimmie fromthe Drew Carey show with a third eye whereas an F-1 car is more like Tyra Banks or Laetitia Casta with a third eye."

Comment

Yup,call a spade a spade.

Thanks for the interest,Nap.Hurts to see your 'stars and cars' devolve to such a low level,doesn't it?

Over on Atlas f1,the spin has begun.Riverrunner is over there trying to telL us why the new CART regs are light-years ahead of the IRL.

The true lemmings are emerging from there burrows.
                            ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Dog-ring, Cornutt, Chris B and BigFig - I appreciate the help. If you or anyone else has anything to add, or links that would be helpful I wold appreciate it.

Its impossible for me to tell from the G-Force site if what you are seeing with the scope is part of the Tub or a bodywork overlay. Obviously if its an overlay you still have somekind of roll structure that protudes into the scope region of the body work

<STRONG>Nap, IMO the only reason CART wouldn't use the scoop would be to make the cars appear different rather than any form of performance inhancement. </STRONG>
                              I think you are right.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X