X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quip of the day

My vote to mistabone:

Originally posted by CRISTAL FAN:
    What is I, I know it clearly. Never, never I will let myself intimidate by a American, a German or a Japanese. I prefer to finish in the wall. Eliseo Salazar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if you haven't made us Salazar fans by now that last qoute will sure attract a lot.

by Mista Bone
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'll second that.

question: besides in the nation of chile, are there actually any salazar fans out there?

Comment

Originally posted by 2fast4u:
      <STRONG>I'll second that.

question: besides in the nation of chile, are there actually any salazar fans out there?

</STRONG>
      As long as he's driving for AJ , I'll pull for him . I don't say he's never at fault , but I don't think he's at fault as often as he's blamed for .
      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

That quote sure make light of the logic he must have used all those time he was making bad decisions on the track.I don't mean this as a slam at all. I have wondered since he took out Mark Dismore why he would make such a move. Now I understand his decision making priorities and processes.

If he would rather take the wall than get beat by an American why on earth is he racing in the IRL?!! Maybe he should just race in Chile? How does one rationalize any of that quote?
        Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

It all made sense the moment he tried to squeeze davey jones into the indy pitwall at 220+mph. When he was being lapped! It made sense when he took out the leader, Piquet, at hockenheim. while he was being lapped! It all made sense when he took out Arie on the warm up lane. Under a yellow flag! It made sense when he turned into Diz on the straightaway. For no reason.

The guy is a psycho.

Are we all going to wait until he kills someone before we speak up? Are we going to wait until he launches someone into the grandstands and maybe kills someone you love? Or are we all just going to shut up and not make any waves? Maybe just hope he goes away?

He says he would rather finish in the wall? that's fine, but most of the time he takes someone else with him. If he is so stupid that he has a death wish, pull his license and send him skydiving without a parachute. we don't need irresponsible people like that driving 220mph projectiles. Not with my family in the stands. Not with people I admire and respect on the track with him.

And we laughed like hyennas when Tracy called the CART officials circus clowns. Are we so proud that we have the most dangerous one of all?

Send this bozo packing and put a deserving
          American in the #14 car.
          I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
            <STRONG>It all made sense the moment he tried to squeeze davey jones into the indy pitwall at 220+mph. When he was being lapped! It made sense when he took out the leader, Piquet, at hockenheim. while he was being lapped! It all made sense when he took out Arie on the warm up lane. Under a yellow flag! It made sense when he turned into Diz on the straightaway. For no reason.

The guy is a psycho.
            </STRONG>
            Not.

Luyendyk acknowledges to this day that the incident on the warm-up lane in 1996 was caused by Salazar's bad shift due to his leg being in a cast from his incident at WDWS earlier in the year. Anyway, this was over five years ago.

The incident with Jones occurred upon team orders from Andy Evans as a way to get teammate Alessandro Zampedri the lead. An ugly incident, no doubt, but Salazar did back out once he realized how much uglier it could have gotten. Anyway, this was over five years ago.

The incident with Dismore last year was a case of Salazar trying to squeeze a third car where it wouldn't fit. How many other drivers have been guilty of this in the IRL?

I cannot comment on the Piquet/Hockenheim incident, because I never witnessed it.

Salazar has been one of the most consistent performers in the IRL in terms of finishing races. Just look up his statistics if you don't believe me.

Have a nice day!

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ren Butler ]
            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
              <STRONG>

Send this bozo packing and put a deserving
              American in the #14 car.</STRONG>

Well, the "bozo" won't be sent packing, but there will be a derserving American in the #14 car this year.
              IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Salazar has been one of the most consistent performers in the IRL in terms of finishing races. Just look up his statistics if you don't believe me.
                Here's his stats:
                Starts: 44
                Wins: 1
                Top 5: 12
                Top 10: 23
                Races led: 10

He's consistant, but he's not fast. Although it does look better than this:
                Starts: 44
                Wins: 5
                Top 5: 8
                Top 10: 12
                Races led: 21
                Those stats belong to Greg Ray. Its pretty scary that the guy has led twice as many races as Salazar, and has half as many top 10 finishes.

If you want to see consistancy (in race finishes, not racing line ) take a look at Scott Sharp:
                Starts: 51
                Wins: 6
                Top 5: 20
                Top 10: 29
                Races led: 22

(There are other drivers like Buddy Lazier who also have solid stats, but I figured a comparison of drivers who get a fair about of abuse around here would be more interesting.)

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: JoeBob ]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ren Butler:

"The incident with Jones occurred upon team orders from Andy Evans as a way to get teammate Alessandro Zampedri the lead."

So? Jones actually brushed the wall trying to get away from him. Team orders? What difference would that have made if he had launched Jones into a crowded pit lane with all those people and all that fuel. Team orders? Like salazar couldn't say no? Like he isn't smart enough to know you can kill someone with a race car if you are just stupid enough? There is no way to ever excuse that. No way. ever.

And don't believe in Karma? Ask Zampedri how the race worked out for him. Ask Zampedri who was right in the middle of it with him. Maybe salazar was the innocent one that time, but Karma sure sent a message by having him being involved in it.

"Anyway, this was over five years ago."

And what does that matter? That's not going to help his next victim. Oh, it's been over five years, so let's let Manson out. We are only talking a matter of half inchers or so and we could have had a flaming corpse bouncing down pit lane. Five years doesn't make that go away.

"The incident with Dismore last year was a case of Salazar trying to squeeze a third car where it wouldn't fit."

Yeah, so it wasn't deliberate this time. He was just stupid. Yeah, that's right. Let stupid people race 220mph cars. Accidents happen, but letting this guy race, we are just asking dor it.

"How many other drivers have been guilty of this in the IRL?"

To the extent that Salazar is? Not even Michael schumacher is as dirty as this guy.
                  At least when schumacher does it, he keeps it in the family and does it to his own brother.

"I cannot comment on the Piquet/Hockenheim incident, because I never witnessed it."

Piquet was fully alongside salazar with no other cars in sight, and salazar just turned right into him on the straightway just before the braking zone. Piquet was so incensed that he got out of the car and started beating on him. I think they pulled his super license on the spot. piquet was not fined or even reprimanded. The officials probably figured Salazar had it coming.

"Just look up his statistics if you don't believe me."

statistics, darn statistics and Salazar won't ever kill anyone, right?
                  I'm dead now.

Comment

Thanks for posting the stats. Bringing the car home in the top ten 50 percent of the time is not too bad.(salazar) Suprised to see Ray with only 25 percent finishes in the top 10, but with almost half of those being wins! Win or don't finish.

Line up every IRL driver in the last 5 years and you can point out a half dozen mistakes they have made. When you are running wheel to wheel at over 200mph, crap happens sometimes.

I don't think Salazar is as dangerous as some folks think, and I root for him only because he is with Foyt, but will be rooting for Donnie much more, if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler:
                      <STRONG>

Not.

Luyendyk acknowledges to this day that the incident on the warm-up lane in 1996 was caused by Salazar's bad shift due to his leg being in a cast from his incident at WDWS earlier in the year. Anyway, this was over five years ago.

The incident with Jones occurred upon team orders from Andy Evans as a way to get teammate Alessandro Zampedri the lead. An ugly incident, no doubt, but Salazar did back out once he realized how much uglier it could have gotten. Anyway, this was over five years ago.

The incident with Dismore last year was a case of Salazar trying to squeeze a third car where it wouldn't fit. How many other drivers have been guilty of this in the IRL?

I cannot comment on the Piquet/Hockenheim incident, because I never witnessed it.

Have a nice day!

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ren Butler ]</STRONG>
                      Normally you make sense but in this case you fail to mention any of the uncountable times that ES has blocked cars trying to lap him for the umteenth time. Not only blocking, but coming down on them after they finally get under him.
                      Gary Crossno

Comment

When I mentioned Salazar's statistic of "finishing races," I was referring to the number of times he COMPLETED races.

Sure, his top 10s are pretty impressive, but the fact that he is running at the end of over 70 percent of the races he starts suggests that he simply doesn't get involved in many bang-ups. (It's not like he's caused them and then finished the race).

The fact that many of the incidents occurred over five years ago suggests that Salazar has matured as a driver. Likening him to Charles Manson is ridiculous; what he did cannot be reversed.

BigFig, I'll acknowledge that Salazar is one of the more "defensive" drivers on the circuit, but a "psycho" he is not. I don't think Brian Barnhart would allow Salazar to race at this level if he consistently did anything dangerous. The IRL simply doesn't allow that kind of thing these days.
                        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

For Ren--it may not be witnessing it, but it will give you a flavor for the incident:
                          http://f1rejects.crosswinds.net/hall/tyson/index.html#1

Explore more of that site when you get a chance--its generally hilarious.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X