TG's next move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG's next move

Now that CART has changed thier specs to match the IRL's, with the hope of making it easier for their teams to run Indy, what should the IRL's response be?

I think TG has an excellent opportunity to take advantage of this by extracting a heavy price from CART teams that want to cherry pick the race. The Leader's Circle concept is a good start, but I think for 2003 one thing he should do is make non-Leaders circle entry fee a much higher number, say something like 50K or 70K per tub. It would also open up the opportunity to have two tier pricing for other things like suites and catering. Overall, I would use the CART teams stated need to be at Indy, to extract the maximum amount of money possible from them and turn around and invest it into the IRL.

As for the effect on the IRL, I think to protect the smaller teams, I'd give any of the top 20 IRL driver/car owner combinations that do not qualify in the top 33 a provisional starting spot at the rear of the field. There would still be bumping of non-IRL regulars and additional cars entered by IRL teams, but the core of the IRL grid will be secure and the extra entries from CART have little effect on the IRL (other than add more revenues from fees and such.)

This doesn't sound like the American way to me, besides didnt't TG say he welcomes all those teams and drivers that want to race at Indy. Whats the problem, good clean fair competition is a good thing, isn't it?

Comment

See''Its happening'''thread.

Some similar ideas.
      ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

There's no question that the parity measures employed by the NFL draft system are good for the sport. Good, clean, fair competition is indeed the goal- and the result of wise management.
        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

how about this...
          1.Leaders circle (IRL)teams are allowed to enter a maximum 5 cars at Indy.
          2. Non leader circle members (CART) teams can only enter 1 car per driver.
          3. enterance fee for CART teams competing at Indy $100K per car..

Comment

I don't think any changes need to be made. I think TG should stay the course and be the visionary not the reactionary. Now is not the time to change the playing field. Didn't the dude from Honda say that the IRL has a plan of direction and they are following it?
            SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
            " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

This is so funny to read. What next, CART teams don't get garage space? Funny from a group of people that always talked of a level playing field and all. What do you do if a new IRL team comes together and isn't a "club member"? Invoke a special clause to include them in?

Comment

By George I think I've got it.....how about a starting grid of 45...... why hasn't somebody thought of this before....

Comment

Very happy that you're being entertained, RaceGuy.
                  TG needs to stay the course!
                  Have a very blessed day!

Comment

People forget that this is business.CART did what it did for business reasons,to help themselves.

Whats wrong with the IRL doing the same?
                    ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13:
                      <STRONG>There's no question that the parity measures employed by the NFL draft system are good for the sport. Good, clean, fair competition is indeed the goal- and the result of wise management.</STRONG>
                      You are comparing apples & oranges. You dont draft a race team, drivers or equipment.

Comment

I really don't see any need for Tony to do any of this. In 2003 CART teams will already have enough incentive to race the entire IRL schedule because of the TV contract and the common specs. The leaders circle program will be additional incentive, as will the new Indy 500 purse payout structure. Moreover, I think Chris Pook will do everything possible not make CART teams choose between CART and the IRL. This would include making sure there are no date conflicts. I think we will have a defacto merger at least for the IRL sanctioned ovals.
                        "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

CART in the last 6 years has done everything in there power to harm the IRL... remember the US 500 (I'll never foreget that 1st lap...)....the IRL should look after the interests of the the current IRL teams...this is business and in business only the strong survive.. Tony G should pick up a couple of road courses next year..and throw up as many road blocks as he can to stiffle the other series....they would do it to Tony in a heartbeat....JMO..

Comment

We must never forget the US 500. Ever. We must never forget that CART set out to destroy the Indy 500, and the IRL, and to totally control open wheel with all races just being their controled competition exhibitions.

TG has a right, and a duty, to protect the IRL and its teams for its enemies.

See the its happening thread, but the first thing would be a $1.1M entry fee, with any IRL regular team getting a $1M "payment" in the form of a credit against said fee by having run all the previous year's races, or promising (with a bond posted) to do so in the current year.

Comment

TG should continue to focus on strengthening the IRL ( teams , sponsors , races , the whole shebang ), and not worry about what CART does . Work on a title sponsor , maybe add a race or two .Do what is necessary to make the IPS a success. If it is , you will see more drivers from the short track ranks in the IRL - no-one who's interest isn't ovals will choose to run IPS over a RC based feeder .

Let CART do what it wants . Based on it's past actions , it will find a way to do two stupid things for every good idea Pook has.

As for the 500 - again , I repeat : The 33 fastest cars start . It doesn't matter who owns them or what series the drivers came from . Show up , qualify , RACE!
                              “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                              I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                              I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X