Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyn wants a "funding pool" for women racers

Found at the LMS website:
    Seven-time Indianapolis 500 starter Lyn St. James hosted a panel discussion on Diversity in Motorsports. Also taking part in the discussion were: Kimberly Miller, Media Relations Coordinator for the Indy Racing League; Lowe’s Motor Speedway President and General Manager H.A. “Humpy” Wheeler; Dr. Jaques Dallaire of Human Performance International; and Indy Racing League and Championship Auto Racing Teams team owner Derrick Walker, who fields IRL cars for Sarah Fisher. The topic was creating opportunities for female drivers.

LYN ST. JAMES: “Opportunities do not happen enough for drivers from diverse backgrounds, but I think the ability is there to change that…We need to build a funding pool to fund females racing from grassroots racing, all the way to the top of the sport. We need to find the talent, support the talent and nurture the talent.”

DERRICK WALKER: “We were looking for a young, talented driver that would get cheaply. We knew we had a little budget. The name of Sarah Fisher came up by accident, but it was really Sarah that tipped me over to hiring her. I had heard about her driving, but when I met her, I could see the focus in her eyes. From that point on, it became a different approach to us going racing. We had to put together a diversity package, and we had to decide how to sell it and who to sell it to.”

HUMPY WHEELER: “When you go to talk to a sponsor, the sponsor is interested in winning. That sponsor is looking for experience. That sponsor is looking for someone who can run at the front of the pack.”
    link
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Oh BS.........How about adding a funding pool for drivers under 5 feet tall...that would help secure rides for vertically challenged drivers, and increase the height diversity within motorsports.

Lyn needs a baby pool more that a funding pool. Then she can sit there in her floaties and cry all she wants too...

WHAAAAAA..........

pulleezzz..........
    Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath Hamilton:
      <STRONG>Lyn needs a baby pool more that a funding pool. Then she can sit there in her floaties and cry all she wants too. </STRONG>
      Amen!

Opportunties do not happen enough for drivers ,PERIOD!

If Lyn wants a fund , she should go to Companies owned and run by women and get them to contribute to it .

How about a fund for drivers who never raced but would really like to try and need money ? I'll be the first one in that line when they pass out the checks...
      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj:
        <STRONG>

If Lyn wants a fund , she should go to Companies owned and run by women and get them to contribute to it .
        </STRONG>
        Jandj---that IS what she is saying.

Comment

I'm sorry, but perhaps a couple of more X's in the WIN column could've helped her credibility, because with just the performances of Sarah Fisher and Shawna Robinson, she doesn't have much to back her up.

Track Fifedom

Comment

<STRONG>Oh BS.........How about adding a funding pool for drivers under 5 feet tall...that would help secure rides for vertically challenged drivers, and increase the height diversity within motorsports.

Lyn needs a baby pool more that a funding pool. Then she can sit there in her floaties and cry all she wants too...

WHAAAAAA..........

pulleezzz.......... </STRONG>
            Why not act like a 5 year HH!!! You sure seem like that in this post.

Comment

<STRONG>Oh BS.........How about adding a funding pool for drivers under 5 feet tall...that would help secure rides for vertically challenged drivers, and increase the height diversity within motorsports.</STRONG>
              Being 5 foot tall and light in weight helps you in racing!!!! RBM talked about this on his site and I will post it here.

For us (Cahill), it would be really good if they started weighing car+driver instead of just car. I am about 40-60 heavier than some of those little guys (and gal) and that can translate to almost 10hp, which makes a difference in qualifying especially.
              [ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: jrandrew00 ]

Comment

I did my best to contribute to the women's funding pool in college.

Comment

Originally posted by jrandrew00:
                  <STRONG>

Why not act like a 5 year HH!!! You sure seem like that in this post.</STRONG>
                  you havent even begun to witness the level of five-year-old-ism that im capable of...

but that still doesnt change the fact that a funding pool for women (or any other group, male/female/minority or otherwise, that doesnt want to work hard for their racing money) is a stupid idea!!!

a funding pool would never have improved lyns driving capability...and i stand by that statement.
                  Track Fifedom

Comment

I don't think a funding pool is the correct answer. Maybe women as mothers should encourage their daughters to go the racetrack, get them started in karting. Then they can work their way up on merit not on handouts. The minute a special fund for anything is set up, the mesage is "your not capable on your own". Whats needed is a culture change where little girls feel natural around cars. Take your little girl to the races and teach her about how car work.

Comment

Originally posted by starrcam:
                      <STRONG>

Jandj---that IS what she is saying.</STRONG>
                      I don't have a problem with that. Rev's initial post doesn't contain that part of her quote .

I'm not sure if I agree with the original contention , though . There's more female drivers in all series now then ever . I'm not sure a separate "women only" fund is needed . If they have the talent and can line up a sponsor ( like anyone else ) , I don't think they would be kept from racing any more than any other driver .

If she wants to set it up and run it , as we say down here : " Go 'head on ! " .

Comment

[QB]

but that still doesnt change the fact that a funding pool for women (or any other group, male/female/minority or otherwise, that doesnt want to work hard for their racing money) is a stupid idea!!!

QB]
                        So what is "working hard" to find a ride.

Seems like it would sure be hard to work hard at being the best driver unless you had the money or someone else had the money for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wynnspeed:
                          <STRONG>

So what is "working hard" to find a ride.

Seems like it would sure be hard to work hard at being the best driver unless you had the money or someone else had the money for you.</STRONG>
                          I think Heath means the idea of having a special fund earmarked for a particular race/sex/nationality/what ever other criteria instead of them working to find their own sponsorship deal is stupid .

But I could be wrong....

Comment

What Cathy said.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
                            "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Racemind:
                              <STRONG>What Cathy said.</STRONG>
                              Ditto! Cathy, if you keep coming up with these great posts you'll have to visit more often

SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X