Ohio Interested in Indoor Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Interested in Indoor Track

The Brant's indoor track, which won't be built in Pittsburgh, is gathering some interest across the Ohio state line.

Here's the link.

I'm not ready to call in season ticket orders, but at least it's not completely dead.
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

If they were going to put it in Ohio, this is the right spot. About equal draw (distance) from Pitt and Cleveland, and they sure get a lot of snow in that area. I suppose they could do a lot of off-season testing for IRL, NASCAR, and Busch, plus wintertime racing for those Sprinters et al.

And of course, us Columbusanii will drive the 3 hours...

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
    "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Sounds like they are hoping for a NASCAR race to make the place financially viable. That could be a mistake.
      DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

They should buy the Nelson Ledges property. It would be a service to all of racing. An indoor track for all season racing and the elimination of the SCCA's only certified arm pit.
        Peter Olivola ([email protected])
        "Too dumb for opera
        too smart for NASCAR"

Comment

We're called "Columbusites".

and in these parts, Ohio's Capitol city is pronounced: KLUM-bus.

Comment

Hmmm, now didn't sombody else just spell this exact location out a week or so ago? Somebody like ME?!!

Actually I envisioned it on the PA side of the line. Minor detail.

A track would work here. If it is the Brants behind it still though it isn't going to happen unless Ohio wants to pay for it.
            Dan Schlosser
            Go fast, turn left !
            www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
            Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Originally posted by SPM:
              <STRONG>We're called "Columbusites".</STRONG>
              SHHHHHH!! Ix-nay on the "olumbusite-cay"... I'm trying to give us a classier image...

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
              "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Olivola:
                <STRONG>They should buy the Nelson Ledges property. It would be a service to all of racing. An indoor track for all season racing and the elimination of the SCCA's only certified arm pit.</STRONG>
                I think a key part of making the track profitable is to host trade shows and concerts. If you were to build anything near Nelson Ledges, you would be limited to Amish barn raisings and church revivals.

Plus could you imagine the traffic nightmares for a Sunday race--bumper to bumper traffic dodging the Amish buggies on the way to church.

Seriously though, being a native Youngstowner, there is no way that local interests (banks, governments, companies) would contribute any significant amount of money to this pipedream. There just isn't the local wealth to support this type of proposal. If the Brants could raise the money privately, the Youngstown area political machine would line up and fast-track the construction over any local objections; but since the Brants seem short of funds to begin with, I think this whole thing is just a last-ditch attempt to keep the project from dying completely right now.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: bigred ]

Comment

Oh my God - they are talking about putting in a NASCAR indoor track near where I grew up. On the upside its the middle of CART country so it would be nice to see a CART race there.

IMO this is just a big pipe dream

Originally posted by Racemind:
                  <STRONG> they sure get a lot of snow in that area. </STRONG>
                  Not really - its outside of the snow belt

Originally posted by Peter Olivola:
                  <STRONG>They should buy the Nelson Ledges property. It would be a service to all of racing. An indoor track for all season racing and the elimination of the SCCA's only certified arm pit.</STRONG>
                  Site is too small, besides its a wetlands which would raise permitting questions. Besides I would miss the outhouses that you could smell a mile away

BTW stories were running about 6 months ago that some Cleveland area developers were looking at buying that site and massively upgrading it, including adding 50k in stands. (the conventional thought was they didn't have the financial muscle to get it done and the locals were already raising a fuss over potential traffic problems)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X