Looking for an answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an answer

There are folks on this forum who seem to support ride buying in the IRL. It was this very activity by CART that only a few short years ago the IRL faithful criticised so strongly.

Reasons vary as to why it is OK for ridebuying to take place in the IRL. Yet, the situation is exactly the same. It's either wrong or it's not. Was the IRL formed in order to emulate CART?

Can anyone here provide a logical argument which explains why that which was bad in CART is good in the IRL?

Nope
    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
      <STRONG>Nope</STRONG>
      Me neither...
      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Not me. I know a really great driver that bounced around for 3 years because he had no money. He got the big ride the right way with talent. But that don't happen often. It sucks.
        sa

Comment

Originally posted by stan:
          <STRONG>Not me. I know a really great driver that bounced around for 3 years because he had no money. He got the big ride the right way with talent. But that don't happen often. It sucks.</STRONG>
          Say hello to him and the beautifull wife and baby for me Stan!

SENسR MODERATOR......

" Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Howard:

Who's defending it?
            Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

It's not good for anyone .

Nobody likes it , but unfortunately it's not going to stop anytime soon .

Very few people have the money or inclination to fund everything out of their personal account.

AJ catches **** for hiring Salazar , based on his own past comments - it doesn't mean he's changed his mind , it just means he wants to run a team without going broke .

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: jandj ]
              “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
              I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
              I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Ride buying will never go away. The IRL can't completly get rid of ride buyers, but it can keep the costs down so not as many teams will need the driver to bring a check. As the IRL gets stronger and gets more big money teams, the teams that choose money over talent will be pushed out if they can't perform at a competitive level. When the IRL has so many entrants at their races that they start sending drivers home after qualifying, the no-talent ride buyers will start to go away. In 2003 you will start to see the no-talent ride buyers not making the races and their teams will vanish. Now if the ride buyer has enough talent to run with the big dogs he'll be sticking around.
                "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
                Vice President, Marketing
                IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

Howard

I don't think any IRL fan supports ride buying. In a perfect world there would be none, but its not perfect.

The IRL was setup to equalize equipment. Make everything available to all, for a price. It was also setup to reduce the cost of runing an Indy car operation. It was NOT setup to eliminate ride buying. However those two conditions (availability and cost) do effect ride buying and should tend to reduce it. If enough good equipment gets in the hands of talented drivers the ride buyer will fail to qualify.

P.S. I don't think Elisio is a ride buyer. He has talent and experience and he brings money with him. Something that happens in all types of racing including your presious NASCAR.

Not a personal fan of Salizar and I believe he drives over his head on occasion, but he is a professional race driver.
                  Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

I don't have a problem, as long as the driver is actually somewhat qualified to drive in the series. Someone like Felipe or Eliseo is okay, because they have proven that they should at least be allowed to compete. Contrast that to the DeVries, Mack, or Herb situations, where it is very questionable if they should be driving. Although Herb has since proven that he should be given the chance.
                    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Elieso and Phillipe went out and got sponsors whereas a true ride buyer pays the bills himself IMO
                      SENسR MODERATOR......

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan:
                        <STRONG>Can anyone here provide a logical argument which explains why that which was bad in CART is good in the IRL?</STRONG>
                        It beats the alternative.
                        DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy:
                          <STRONG>

It beats the alternative.</STRONG>
                          NASCAR?
                          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

It's because everything cannot be condensed into a black and white issue. jandj and camking are on the money here. You can't police it, but you can contol it somewhat buy making it less important. If they followed my suggestions to lower car cost to around $100K and engines to $35K, there would still be ride buyers, in fact probably quite a few more because the cost was considerably lower. But the number of teams needing this contribution from the driver would be shrinking at the same time. An owner/driver is a ride buyer, but no one complains about them. Personally, I am as anti ride-buyer as anyone, but it can't be wiped out, only controlled. So to me it's a matter of how well they control it. Rest assured if my name was Lucky Mash1tshta, I would be buying myself a ride and probably earning the nickname of King Lucky.
                            Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

When Indy Racing can attract the Ricky Hentricks',Justin Labontes' and Buckshot Jones' of the racing world,we will know we have truely reached the pinicle of motorsports.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X