Info from the Braytons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info from the Braytons

From the Autosport 2002 radio show Tuesday night.

1. Chuck Buckman will be the engineer for the Brayton effort. Billy Bignotti is also a part of the team.

2. It sounded like deVries has only been racing professionally since 97'. He has tested on an oval but has never raced on one.

3. Todd Brayton mentioned TrackForum on the air. He said he had read what was being said about the choice of drivers and didn't agree with the criticism.

4. Todd said that he chose deVries because of, surprise, his Pit Bull sponsorship (at least he was honest).

5. Sprewell is not an owner of the team. He is more like a spokesman (he will do commercials, personal appearances, etc...)

6. Forgot to add, that deVries is indeed an American. Born in San Jose, California. Resides in Vegas.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Jimmy Hendricks ]
    IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Thanks JH!

Great update for those of us outside of Indy who couldn't get the liveonthenet.com broadcast to work.

I knew about Janie's not working from that site, but didn't realize it was related to a radio station contract that affected this show as well.

http://harm.net
    http://CampAndBrew.com

Comment

"It sounded like deVries has only been racing professionally since 97'. He has tested on an oval but has never raced on one."

Yep. And that also means he started racing in his mid 30's. His cash got him into racing at that point and he raced in a series where a young teen named Scott Dixon won the series. That is his claim to fame.

Now he is ready to master the Indy 500 baby.

"He said he had read what was being said about the choice of drivers and didn't agree with the criticism."

This really is surprising. The Braytons for sure know how dangerous racing is, even if you are a seasoned driver. Yet they think this driver in this situation is not a problem. Man.

They are just setting themselves up to get knocked down. It will be interesting to see if the IRL lets this guy turn a wheel. I wonder if he will lap slower than Dr. Jack.

Comment

Putting a guy out there who has never raced on an oval is reckless and embarassing. I feel bad for the people this guy is going to take out. I hope he doesn't kill anyone. If the IRL wants to be a serious series they need to put a stop to this.

Comment

Sorry, Todd. You're besmirching a fine name in Indy racing. What, precisely, could he disagree with? The guy is a ridebuyer - he admits that - and even Brayton hasn't had the stones to refer to any driving "credentials." God, he must think fans are idiots.
          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

From the "driver" page on Brayton's website, as of this morning:

"We have many good driver candidates to choose from. After the season finale race in Texas on September 16th, we will evaluate all the possibilities and choose the best driver for our team.

Who do you think should drive the Brayton Racing entry?

Go to our guest book and post your favorite driver candidate!!

Stay tuned for more information. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, please sign up as a sponsor, and get on our email list to receive updates as they happen."

Nuff said.
            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Please tell me that Brian Barnhart won't let this happen.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

he'll let it happen if DeVries passes the rookie orientation.
                All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Originally posted by IndyRob:
                  <STRONG>he'll let it happen if DeVries passes the rookie orientation.</STRONG>
                  Dr. Jack passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter:
                    <STRONG>

Dr. Jack passed.</STRONG>
                    Good Point....

As far as I know, however, there currently does not exist a rule on years of experience required to compete in the IRL. Am I wrong?

There probably should be.
                    All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

I don't think there is. George Mack was allowed to take his rookie test without ever racing anything larger than a kart.

To me, the whole thing signifies an incredible lack of respect for the IRL's officials, competitors, and fans, as well as for the Indianapolis 500 itself. Hard to believe that Brayton would do it. They should at least rename the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter:
                        <STRONG>

Dr. Jack passed.</STRONG>
                        Not to bash Dr. Jack, but I'm thinking that perhaps the bar is a little higher today to "pass", than it was when Dr. Jack passed.

I'm still witholding judgement on JD until after he's made an appearance.

FWIW, the "driver" link on Brayton's website appears to be a little more accurate now.

http://harm.net
                        http://CampAndBrew.com

Comment

Is this the same Todd Brayton who was offering "fan" sponsorship for 99.99 at TMS and on Brayton's website...

What the heck, write a check...

Comment

Originally posted by GlennH:
                            <STRONG>

Not to bash Dr. Jack, but I'm thinking that perhaps the bar is a little higher today to "pass", than it was when Dr. Jack passed.

I'm still witholding judgement on JD until after he's made an appearance.

FWIW, the "driver" link on Brayton's website appears to be a little more accurate now.</STRONG>
                            "Although John's name is not familiar in the American racing scene, he spent several years racing in Australia, most notably in the Formula Holden series."

OK...

BTW - I appreciate your objectivity, but ride-buyers get no presumption of skill from me. Nor, in fact, do they deserve one. It wasn't any demonstrated skill that got them the ride.

Comment

>>>>>>>

I hope they do well, as hard as sponsorships and the economy is doing, I can't begrudge them too much. If this is what it took to turn a wheel, I say give it a shot.

If you are a team owner, and your choice is race with John, or fold up your shop, what do you do. "Well, i really want to race, and get a team foundation going, but you know, there are a lot of people on message boards that will critize me, well just forget it?

I believe in freedom, AND in Brian Barnhardt's ability to weed out any unqualified drivers.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X