The importance of the 2002 Indy 500.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of the 2002 Indy 500.

I know every Indy 500 is important (the most important open wheel race of the year), but I feel that given recient changes in CARTs rules this years race may determine it all. The future of both series depends upon sponsorship, with interchangable cars comming in 2003, MAKING the 33 car field this year will descide who gets future funding. If Green or Rahal do not get their cars in the field is kool and miller going to stay with cart teams? If foyt or kelly don't make the field will they loose their sponcers to cart teams? The IRL needs to show well or the INDY 500 will just be an unsanctioned CART race. I felt this way the previous two years also, but it is becomming more important every year.

"If Foyt or Kelley don't make the field," what have you been smoking? Every year at Indy the question isn't if Foyt will make the field, it is how many cars will he run?

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Mackie ]

Comment

Hey, Mackie, how many consecutive Indy 500's has AJ made? Thirty how many?
      I'm dead now.

Comment

hope nobody was smoking what penske was back in 95.
        hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
          <STRONG>Hey, Mackie, how many consecutive Indy 500's has AJ made? Thirty how many?</STRONG>
          Counting the ones he drove in , this year'll be 45 .
          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

This year's race has shades of Jets-Colts about it. With the IRL regulars getting dusted twice in a row, it is time for a big effort come May. The league needs respectability something fierce and a convincing win by an IRL regular would greatly enhance the league's and the Indy 500's fortunes.

A convincing win would do so much for the IRL:
            1) cast doubt on cherry picking since it would imply that to be competitive you need to run the full IRL season.
            2) restore some balance to the competitive level between the CART teams and the IRL teams.
            3) most important, establish the IRL as theopen wheel series in America. Although it is almost a done deal, a convincing win by a regular at Indy would be the final piece to the puzzle. The IRL has worked hard to build an effective racing organisation since 1996 but is still perceived to be weak on team strength. An Indy win would be a huge boost to the ability of the league to promote itself.

After the drubbing last year, I hope every single IRL team is drooling over the prospect of getting back to Indy to win their honour back. The stakes are enormous this year: another dusting and the league will bump around as it did last year after Indy with no momentum and no opportunity to broaden their appeal; a win, and the sky's the limit.

I really hope the IRL can step up to this challenge: if they play their cards right and deliver, they will become the de facto national championship series and the CART series will fade away into street-parade obscurity. We saw this week that the TITW was a more high-profile event than the little side show at Laguna Seca. The buzz is in the IRL's favour right now; an Indy 500 win cements this perception that the IRL is tops.

This is going to be the most important Indy 500 since the split. I can hardly wait for May to come.

Bob

Comment

How many Cart teams with drivers are there?
              18-20 total cars currently. Not all of these teams are going to run the 500 this year. Most of the top IRL teams have nothing to worry about when it comes to the 500. It is the smaller teams that are in trouble.
              The plus to CART's announcement of IRL type specs is that smaller teams now have a choice of what series to run and in fact what races to run. If you have a 2003 IRL spec tub you now have 2 series to run in.

There aren't enough CART teams curently to shut any team out of the 500 or any of the CART races they currently run. So if you have the tub you could pack up your gear and go to mid-ohio. As long as you make the 107% rule you get to race.
              See all of those ride buyers in the IRL that everyone complains about (relly not that many if you look at the test in the west)? Well some of them will run CART races now. Why? The inital cost to participate went down and the equipmet is available.
              If there are 18 CART races and 18 IRL races a team now has 36 chances to race. CART teams are not going to run all of the IRL races and the Leader Circle program will help any team that runs a majority of the IRL races.
              Indy is going to turn into a fun place as far as equipment and who has what is concerned. Because of the IRL rules no one company is going to be able to prevent any team from getting a hold of any particular tub. The add on pieces will be the parts horded, but there are enough composite companies in Indy that parts can be reverse engineered just from photo's alone. The engines are the same deal. If Speedway has the fastest Chevy or Judd then other companies can get the block and try to develop the engine themselves not be prevented from using the engine at all which is the current CART practice.

I think it is a good time to be in INDY. If you are good at what you do no one company is going to prevent you from making a better mousetrap, because they can't, the rules will not allow it.

It IRL is the Technical rules make for major league open wheel autoracing in the US. Who'd a thunk it 6 years ago.
              Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

Comment

"This year's race has shades of Jets-Colts about it. "

As one who is old enough to remember that game a thought comes to mind. I recall some talk about the Colts taking a dive in order to give credibility to the AFL and justify a merger. Of course, no tangible evidence was ever provided.

I think the IRL, excluding Penske, needs to win this race...a debacle, and it was a debacle, like last year will do nothing to enhance the stature of the IRL...I would love to see the Indy 500 winner at TMS in June...

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: hdolan ]

Comment

Without exception, it is imperative for an IRL driver to win INDY this year.....I think it is critical that a Boat or a Beechler win it. Proof that the original concept of the IRL prevails.
                  Third Gen Indy Fan

Comment

I agree that it needs to be an IRL team that wins the 500. But I'd much rather Penske win it than any of the CART teams.
                    IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

IMO, a non-Penske IRL regular needs to win. If Penske wins, then it's " well, they ARE a former CART team" What we need is for Panther, Kelley, Hemelgarn, or any other true IRL team to win. I could live with Penske on the podium, but IMO, it would hurt The IRL (perceptually) if Penske wins.

My ultimate dream for this year? (same as last year) An all IRL front row. (no R. Gordon or T. Stewart types) An all IRL podium. (Hornish, Sharp, Lazier?) And just for a little icing on the cake, one or more of the CART regulars (Tracy, Vasser?)getting bumped.

You can call me an IRL Lemming if you want, but I CHOOSE to follow The IRL.
                      "The guys on the IRL side went beyond fair. It would have been easy for either side to back out, but this time they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."..... Jimmy Vasser on the merger.

Comment

Originally posted by irlrules98:
                        <STRONG>Without exception, it is imperative for an IRL driver to win INDY this year.....I think it is critical that a Boat or a Beechler win it. Proof that the original concept of the IRL prevails. </STRONG>
                        The original IRL concept does prevail. What do Boat or Beechler have to do with it?

Since Michael Andretti will win this year I think that some adjusting to reality will be in order. The only IRL team that might have a chance (aside from Penske and Mo Nunn), is Panther.
                        Sifaka

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
                          <STRONG>
                          The original IRL concept does prevail. What do Boat or Beechler have to do with it?

Since Michael Andretti will win this year I think that some adjusting to reality will be in order. The only IRL team that might have a chance (aside from Penske and Mo Nunn), is Panther.</STRONG>
                          So you think that Menard has no chance?
                          IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Haven't we whipped this badboy topic to death, for quite a while now?
                            Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Jets - Colts is an apt analogy. If the IRL pulls off a deal where our regulars win the and sweep the majority of the top 10, and get the pole, CART will simply not have enough sponsors to continue into 03. Victory will be won and there will be peace.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X