Another Miami Banking Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Miami Banking Pic

Well they added a new pic well to me it's new but here it is. Looks like Texas banking almost.

just found out that this pic is from August 28th.

Comment

I liked the old configuration *shrug*

Comment

Re: Another Miami Banking Pic

Originally posted by jrandrew00
        Well they added a new pic well to me it's new but here it is. Looks like Texas banking almost.
        Jewls,

That is a very good guess!!!

IIRC Texas is banked approx. 24 degrees.

The new banks at Homestead IIRC are 18 degrees at the bottom and 20 degrees at the top.

It is the "progressive" banking design from bottom to top that has the IRL concerned that it may "upset" the ground effects of an IndyCar.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
        - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

Re: Re: Another Miami Banking Pic

Originally posted by c7
          Jewls,

That is a very good guess!!!

IIRC Texas is banked approx. 24 degrees.

The new banks at Homestead IIRC are 18 degrees at the bottom and 20 degrees at the top.

It is the "progressive" banking design from bottom to top that has the IRL concerned that it may "upset" the ground effects of an IndyCar.

Well I can not wait for us (as in the IRL) to test it so we know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by c7

They will just have to use more wing to make up for the loss of efficiency in the undertray. That should make more drag and keep top speeds in check, anyway.

Professor Joe
            Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

Run the test and finalize the schedule.

Please!
              "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I'm pretty progressive, but it looks like a mistake to me. Not for the reason most are concerned, if the parabolic effect is smooth and consistent, I see no problem, it will hardly disrupt the downforce from under an IndyCar. What I do see with all those tracks, is that there isn't enough benefit from the short way around to counter the speed you get from running at the top. Therefore, all passes come from ducking under, finished with the "slide job." That would be a pretty dangerous at over 200 mph! The IndyCars were already above 200 at Homestead, and I have no doubt the series can dictate any speed they want with wings and wickers. When you look at the long straightaways, I think they have created another Darlington, not that it is all that bad, but it will be tough on the heavy NASCAR cars. As usual, I think it will be better for IndyCars then the taxi's, and I am glad IndyCar is on 'stones, Goodyearpops are gonna be a problem.

Comment

I will be the first to suggest that the taxis will tear up the pavement this fall. Their weight combined with the high cornering speeds is going to rip that new asphalt to shreds.

Thanks to France we get another track where the IRL can run two wide at and NASCAR taxis should struggle to make it a groove and a half.

What NASCAR needs is more Martinsvilles, Richmonds, and Bristols. Not more high banks. How can they be so blind not to see that!
                  http://www.drivechicago.com

Comment

While I appreciate the current "flat" configuration and the uniqueness it presented @ Homestead, it translated into a snoozer on television. I hope we can run there and open our broadcast schedule with the same type of racing we finish out the season with at Texas.

The 2003 schedule and those of seasons past, we had to wait practicly until Indy to have fast, strong, wheel-to-wheel racing action. We need to open the season with a "bang"!!
                    Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie
                      I'm pretty progressive, but it looks like a mistake to me. Not for the reason most are concerned, if the parabolic effect is smooth and consistent, I see no problem, it will hardly disrupt the downforce from under an IndyCar. What I do see with all those tracks, is that there isn't enough benefit from the short way around to counter the speed you get from running at the top. Therefore, all passes come from ducking under, finished with the "slide job." That would be a pretty dangerous at over 200 mph! The IndyCars were already above 200 at Homestead, and I have no doubt the series can dictate any speed they want with wings and wickers. When you look at the long straightaways, I think they have created another Darlington, not that it is all that bad, but it will be tough on the heavy NASCAR cars. As usual, I think it will be better for IndyCars then the taxi's, and I am glad IndyCar is on 'stones, Goodyearpops are gonna be a problem.
                      Not another Darlington but rather another Atlanta as it used to be before it was made into another Charlotte clone.
                      Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by c7

Doesn't Texas have the same feature?

Comment

Originally posted by NDPanther
                          I liked the old configuration *shrug*
                          So did I, but it apparently didn't produce "competitive racing" in the eyes of another league that participates there.
                          One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Another Miami Banking Pic

Originally posted by gyc
                            Yeah, I thought it did too...

...and didn't they change it or was I just snoozin?
                            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                            ~~Groucho Marx
                            I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Another Miami Banking Pic

Originally posted by gyc
                              It did, until NASCAR forced them to change it. The first Cup race went a quarter of a mile before there was a US 500, "best drivers in the world" type crash. Hey, CART didn't even make it to the flag, what's the problem? Anyway, unlike CART, real racers don't go back to the garage for another car, so they didn't have much of a race. NASCAR tried twice more and said enough. After the speedway yielded to NASCAR's demands, they still had a drainage problem and had to tear the place up again. The first Texas track had 2 levels of banking, and the transition was bad. Didn't hurt the IndyCars though, the IRL and Texas have been a match made in Heaven.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎