CART board opts for IRL-type car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CART board opts for IRL-type car

Probably OT (at least for dog ) but it does have a significant effect on the IRL so I put it here.

Seems all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. CART teams will be able to cross over relatively easily. On the flip side Indy Racing teams can ALSO do the same, should they chose.

Additionally, although I'm sure this wasn't an intended effect , should there be a desire to "merge" in some fashion, equipment is no longer an impediment.

Some might say this is a bad thing for Indy Racing, and I'd admit I in part might feel somewhat the same, but the reality is it is overall good for the sport of open wheel racing . . .

Officials say changes will allow teams to compete in either open-wheel series starting with 2003 season.

By Curt Cavin ([email protected])

February 09, 2002

MONTEREY, Calif. -- Championship Auto Racing Teams reached common ground with the Indy Racing League on Friday in an owners meeting that ended with a standing ovation.

"It was good news," team owner Bobby Rahal said.

HA!

It was either run IRL specs or ride Schwinns around Road America (assuming RA is still on the schedule).

Remember how powerful CART used to be?

Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

BTW, be intersting to see if this has any effect on MPH stock price next week.

In the past, when they have tried to "encourage" reunification speculation it has had a positive effect.

Comment

The operating costs have to be reduced by 50% just so the series can survive. This is just one step towards it's survival. Indy, of course, is the other one.

So who will be the first IRL team to compete in a CART event?

Comment

"It was probably the most productive owners meeting in the history of CART," said Lopes of the eight-hour session held in conjunction with the series' Sneak Preview. "We got done everything we set out to do and more -- five months' worth of work by our technical committee."
          Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that it took their tech committee five months to Xerox the IRL rulebook?

Really, once they went to IRL engines, they didn't have any other viable options, I don't think. The engine decision pretty much dictated the chassis decision.
          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Because in the past it was assumed that a merger was tantamount to the disappearance of the IRL.

The only people who still see that as a possibility are Mark Sip Baloney and...and...well, I'm sure somebody else actually believes it.

Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

That's hilarious, Racewriter!!

Comment

OK guys, I didn't really post this to gloat, no matter how attractive that option may be (and how funny racewriters comment was ).

On a serious side, I at least think this is a good thing for both series.

Maybe it hurts some of the smaller Indy Racing teams as more CART teams come back, hopefully the smaller guys will team together, but overall it seems to me at least a good thing for the sport as a whole.

BTW, good job Curt Cavin! He was at both the TitW and CART Preview and had interesting stories from both. And gee whiz, they were factual, interesting and pretty balanced. Who'd a thought it?

Comment

"All of CART's equipment, supplies and rules, including caps on the cost of the equipment, were locked in through 2006, vice president of operations John Lopes said. The IRL is set through 2005."

1. Who will produce engines for CART in 2003?

2. At the end of 2005, if there are common engine manufacturer's in both series, will the IRL keep the same specs for an additional year, or will the manufacturers produce a new engine just for the IRL, with CART adopting it a year later? What was Chris Pook thinking when he established the rules for one year beyond when the IRL's expire?

Comment

What happens to Lola, Reynard and anyone else building CART chassis now? If they start building IRL legal chassis, will they be approved to run in the IRL and assuming that they would, what kind of lead time would be needed?
                    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

aaahhhh...

The celebration of slowing down.

Less is more.

How often does a racefan have to repeat that before he begins to believe it?
                      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161:
                        <STRONG>What happens to Lola, Reynard and anyone else building CART chassis now? If they start building IRL legal chassis, will they be approved to run in the IRL and assuming that they would, what kind of lead time would be needed?</STRONG>
                        Actually, I seem to remember an announcement or story of some sort, that Lola and Reynard were already planning to build IRL chassis. They're OK.
                        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird:
                          <STRONG>aaahhhh...

The celebration of slowing down.

Less is more.

How often does a racefan have to repeat that before he begins to believe it?</STRONG>
                          OK, who had 22 minutes in the Railbird pool?

Just kiddin' ya Bird, but I knew you wouldn't like this one...

Comment

I beleive there was a bit of "gamesmanship" going on with the additional year.

No other reason for it.

"we see your spec - and raise . . ."

Unless of course they had 'ol Joe doing the countin'

Comment

Originally posted by 220mph:
                              <STRONG> to "encourage" reunification </STRONG>
                              What? It is called go with the IRL specs or die! CART doesn't give a hoot about reuniting with the IRL, right now they are only looking to breath another day. I haven't seen a quote from Sir Pook yet that was any different than Bobby's ramblings.

:mad:

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X