Pook, Honda comments on IRL . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pook, Honda comments on IRL . . .

Interesting comments from the Indy Star by both Chris Pook and Robert Clarke from Honda, about the IRL:

Honda's Robert Clarke said he would take "a wait-and-see approach" to the Pook era. But Clarke said he has been more impressed with IRL's leaders, whom he met with again Wednesday.

"They've got a business plan that CART has never had," he said.

Pook emphasized that the switch to IRL-style equipment isn't to facilitate a merger. Rather, he said, the groups will continue to serve different clients. He called the IRL "more of a stars-and-stripes sport" geared to "the Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge" crowd. He said CART helps companies with multi-national goals and reaches fans who buy "Toyotas and Hondas, import cars."
    http://www.indystar.com/article.php?cart08.html

"He called the IRL "more of a stars-and-stripes sport" geared to "the Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge" crowd. He said CART helps companies with multi-national goals and reaches fans who buy "Toyotas and Hondas, import cars."

I'm surprised by that comment...perhaps he's not as smart as I've given him credit for...

Comment

That last part of the post clearly shows that
      Heitzler still works for CART,as a speechwriter.

The comment is pretty moronic,if you examine the current participants of both series.Pure nonsense.

Perhaps this is why MPH has slide 3 bucks in 3 weeks.
      ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Kimble:
        <STRONG>That last part of the post clearly shows that
        Heitzler still works for CART,as a speechwriter.
        </STRONG>
        No way. The comments may have been silly, considering that 2 of the IRL's 3 engine manufacturers are imports, but they were understandable, and identifiably the English language. NO WAY is Clueless Joe capable of that...
        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Sounds like there is a Honda engine in the IRL's future.

Comment

Who cares?

Honda needs the IRL more than the IRL needs Honda.

Let them enjoy mediocrity in F1.
            Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jacoby:
              "He called the IRL "more of a stars-and-stripes"

God bless America, baby!

"He said CART helps companies with multi-national goals and reaches fans who buy "Toyotas and Hondas, import cars."

How wonderful and wise. Now that Honda is shaking their heads over CART's lack of integrity, the come up with this. I wonder what Ford thinks of THIS. All they need to do now is cheese off toyota and then they can all pull out their supplies of DFV's and go racing.
              I'm dead now.

Comment

"They've [the IRL] got a business plan that CART has never had," he said."

Tony George tried valiantly to share his "business plan" with the self-interested car owners of CART in 1991 - it even included the concept of 3.5L NA engines...

In 1995-96, Roger Penske tried valiantly to convince his fellow self-interested CART car owners to forge interests with Tony George's "business plan" to no avail...

The "business plan" has been plainly in view for anyone, truly interested in the good of the sport, to see for more than 10 years now...

It just goes to prove how blinded by self-interests people like Mr. Clarke, Mr. Davis and so many others continue to be.

Comment

This reaches all the way back to Andy Craig for incrediably dumb spin.

OK, just for the record, the multi-national status of Ford and GM is unquestionable. Chrysler is DaimlerChrysler and has been for almost a decade. Toyota, Honda, Nissan and others are listed on the NYSE and have "trans-plants" all over the Midwest.

In general marketing in the North American market (which is not exotic sports cars, which I submit the Euros dominate, not the Americans or the Orientals), I will grant you that there are dumb people who only "buy American" and mean by that the Big 3, and there are equally dumb people who still believe that US quality is poor and only imports work, which might have been true about 25 years ago if it ever was. But the VAST MAJORITY of buyers of regular cars consider cars of both Asian and North American branding.

A truly elitist, fantastic, dumb, and just unfair spin by the latest captain of a sinking ship.

Comment

quote by SamC
                    "I will grant you that there are dumb people who only "buy American" and mean by that the Big 3"
                    --------------------------------------------
                    I not only "buy American" I only buy GM. If that makes me dumb then so be it. I believe in supporting a very important US industry, I believe in supporting my employer, and I also believe in supporting a long time IRL supplier. :mad:

Comment

Buying American no longer means just the big 3.There are thousands of Americans that are employed by brands associated with 'foreign' labels.

My workplace[in Canada]makes parts for Suzuki,Subaru,Isuzu and GM.So buy any of these and you help me and my family.
                      ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

dvs, you may have taken that somewhat out of context.
                        Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Mr Kimble - parts manufacturers like yours support just about all the groups of automotive manufacturers. However, in my opinion, (for example only)the Subaru plant in Lafeyette, or the Honda plant in Ohio, while employing Americans (this is good), the profits go back to thier foriegn owners and do not stay in this country. Look at GM's plants overseas. Thier profits come back to United States.(this is also good). I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I still view those companies as imports and foriegn manufacturers. Just seems wierd to me to see all these people driving around in thier Mitsubishis with the window clip American flags on them. Which country is your wallet really supporting?
                          Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

Originally posted by damilt:
                            <STRONG>Mr Kimble - parts manufacturers like yours support just about all the groups of automotive manufacturers. However, in my opinion, (for example only)the Subaru plant in Lafeyette, or the Honda plant in Ohio, while employing Americans (this is good), the profits go back to thier foriegn owners and do not stay in this country. Look at GM's plants overseas. Thier profits come back to United States.(this is also good). I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I still view those companies as imports and foriegn manufacturers. Just seems wierd to me to see all these people driving around in thier Mitsubishis with the window clip American flags on them. Which country is your wallet really supporting?</STRONG>
                            Ok, so there are American employees at the Honda plant in Marysville, OH where my car was made. Now they get paid, right? And their money gets spent where? In Japan? Oh, that's right, its spent here in the American economy at Walmarts and Krogers(and IRL races ) I thought they sent it all back to Japan.

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: trevor83 ]

Comment

I was referring to the corporate profits. And, maybe I am wrong in my views or old fashioned. Not trying to pick a fight here. Just trying to put my spin as to the CART reference about Chevy, Dodge, vs. Honda, etc.
                              Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X