IRL the anonymous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL the anonymous?

This is not a troll, despite my screen name.
    But I thought this was worth reporting.
    Moving my daughter into her Purdue dorm, I met the Resident Advisor, a grad student from Brasilia, Brazil.
    She moved to the USA for college and is in her 5th year here.
    I asked her about Castroneves and DeFerran and she looked at me totally clueless. The she went on to talk about Rubens Barrichello and Formula 1 like you or I would about Sam Hornish and the IRL.
    Simply amazing.............
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Why is that so amazing?

F-1 is beyond huge in Brazil. When Senna died the whole country shut down and went into mourning. By comparison to F-1 (even considering the numerous Brazilian drivers) I don't think the IRL registers on the radar in Brazil.

Besides, this is one college co-ed your talking about. For what it's worth, I doubt there are very many American college co-eds that would recognize the name Sam Hornish.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
      Besides, this is one college co-ed your talking about. For what it's worth, I doubt there are very many American college co-eds that would recognize the name Sam Hornish.
      The ones I hang with do.
      The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

I know many, many Brazilians down here in SoFla. FWIW, most of them know very well who 'elio and GdF are and what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
          Why is that so amazing?

F-1 is beyond huge in Brazil. When Senna died the whole country shut down and went into mourning. By comparison to F-1 (even considering the numerous Brazilian drivers) I don't think the IRL registers on the radar in Brazil.

The 500 was most popular in Brazil when Emmo was racing. Emmo and Senna were like Pele or Ronaldo in Brazil....

It also helped when OW raced in Brazil.

Hoops are pretty big there, too....I remember this game I saw at the Pan Am games in Indianapolis.....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X