Take it from Tony, Nascar is no fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take it from Tony, Nascar is no fun

I realize there is a lot more to be made in Winston Cup, but at what cost? The racing is definitely inferior, and according to Tony Stewart, it's no fun, compared to the IRL. I commend Nascar on their marketing but when it comes to safety, their record is pathetic. How has the IRL surpassed Nascar in such a short period of time in this area? It's because Nascar only reacts to issues from a financial standpoint. No problem there, so why change? This is truely a lower level form of racing that has catipulted to the top, by nailing their target audience in the wallet.

Re: Take it from Tony, Nascar is no fun

Originally posted by Bill Wicker
    I realize there is a lot more to be made in Winston Cup, but at what cost? The racing is definitely inferior, and according to Tony Stewart, it's no fun, compared to the IRL. I commend Nascar on their marketing but when it comes to safety, their record is pathetic. How has the IRL surpassed Nascar in such a short period of time in this area? It's because Nascar only reacts to issues from a financial standpoint. No problem there, so why change? This is truely a lower level form of racing that has catipulted to the top, by nailing their target audience in the wallet.
    I couldn't agree more.
    RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

Where has Tony Stewart said this?

Link?
      "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan
        Where has Tony Stewart said this?

Link?
        Don't know about the inferior part, but he did say the racing wasn't any fun after Michigan Sunday. Believe I saw that clip last night on WindTunnel.

Comment

I can't understand why anydriver would want to basically give up his life. The demands made on those guys from a personal stand point are ridiculous and to me the money would not compensate for the loss of a personal life!
          The important thing in a military operation is victory, not persistence. Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Let us never forget that we were the ones attacked on 9-11 and over 3000 of our people were killed!!!

buckeyedave.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Take it from Tony, Nascar is no fun

Originally posted by Bill Wicker

Aloha Bill,,,,

Wasn't that an ear full,,, man that had, Indy written all over it...

Well maybe not the IRL, but it had Indy some what,,, but did it ever have, Knoxville, Eldora, Chilli Bowl,,,, and Turkey Night, written all over it...

I just wonder what the Payments are on Tony's Jet,,,, got to be a couple of thousand an hour to operate.... He was being a "Grand Gentelman About It,,,, and that only,,, for me,,, made it more serious.... That didn't sound like a Happy Camper,,, nor did it sound like an idle threat,,,, it sounded like,,,

Yes I will do this,,, just like Lying Bricks,,, but it an't no fun, and I can't wait for ???? Eldora, Knoxville,,, INDY......
            Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Stewart was interviewed after the Knoxville race and was asked whether he would ever run that race and he said something to the effect that he would be running a lot of them in the future.
              No more Gibbs? Maybe Target cars? Freedom to race sprinters?
              "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
              -Norman Mailer-

Comment

The money that Tony makes in NASCAR "ALLOWS" him to have a lot of fun.

The Chili Bowl, special appearances, owns more race teams, and more race cars than he can remember (and probably makes money with those things, though it's not necessary).

And his WC championship has made him relatively famous. That said, I just don't see Sam as happy running 36 weeks a year.

Though, that could be the "challenge" that he wants. Sam has proven himself in IndyCars (except for the 500 which he vowed to return to).

If Sam's new deal allows him to run some endurance sports cars, Winston Cup, the Indy 500, etc. Then more power to him.

I'd LOVE to see a true AJ Foyt type deal where a driver runs all over the place and isn't restricted to one series. If that's Sam's plan, then I'll support him.
                We flipped our finger to the King of England
                Stole our country from the Indians
                With god on our side and guns in our hands
                We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeDave
                  I can't understand why anydriver would want to basically give up his life. The demands made on those guys from a personal stand point are ridiculous and to me the money would not compensate for the loss of a personal life!

Aloha Dave,,,,

I am not sure,,, it's sure a full time gig now...

But I've never made,,,50 million a year either.... I bet his next contract,,, has a clause in it,,, that demands, a little less of his time, less control,,, unless it's in conjunction, with his love of competition, Indy, and open wheel short track racing... That's if you can with a straight face, call Eldora or Knoxville, short tracking...

Did you hear him at Knoxville,,, he was so happy,,, and he didn't even drive... I bet next year he does,,, it's a great deal for Home Depot,,, tremendous exposure, for the dollar... Doubling Down,,, me thinks....
                  Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Tony

After being at Knoxville and then racing in Michigan the next day of course he would say it was boring. Comparing any nascar race to knoxville is going to be boring. Kinda like going straight from St. Elmos to Burger King. Or Long's to Dunkin Donuts.

Jason
                    I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

Re: Tony

Originally posted by Jason
                      After being at Knoxville and then racing in Michigan the next day of course he would say it was boring. Comparing any nascar race to knoxville is going to be boring. Kinda like going straight from St. Elmos to Burger King. Or Long's to Dunkin Donuts.
                      You deserve a dozen Long's donuts just for pointing that out.
                      One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Re: Re: Tony

Originally posted by BlueStang
                        You deserve a dozen Long's donuts just for pointing that out.
                        and a couple of bingos...................
                        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Comparing NASCAR to Knoxville is like comparing Tenderloins to East Coast pizza.

There now Ive made everyone here mad at me.

Time for bed, my work here is done LOL

just joking,
                          Live like Dave

Comment

Money can't buy happiness...

...but it can buy the kind of misery most people enjoy.
                            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I think it is wrong to think Stewart views Indy Cars as the best racing. Often when he gripes about areo push in Winston Cup, he compares it to Indy Car racing. Stewart is a short track guy to the core. When he talks about pure racing it's never aero dependent Indy Cars or heavy stockers it's 800 hp sprinters and midgets.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X