OK, so he goes to NASCAR, then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so he goes to NASCAR, then what?

Let's get it out of our system now, kiddies.

If Sam goes to NASCAR full-time, coming back only for Indy if his new team will let him , what is the best way for the IRL to respond?

Dog and Rev, move this to Splitzville if you deem necessary, but I sincerely believe this is a RACING question.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

The powers that be must figure out and take steps to keep the IRL from becoming a feeder series to both NASCAR and F1.

Comment

If Sam goes to NASCAR, so be it. There were people who thought the IRL couldn't afford to lose Tony Stewart. They did and continued to grow. The racing will continue to be great whether Sam stays or leaves. After Sunday, you could make the argument that if Sam goes to NASCAR, it would make things more competitive. Sam at Penske or Ganassi in an IRL car is a pretty scary thought.

Anyway, he has not left the IRL yet. I, for one, don't think he will.
      We'll see soon, won't we?

Comment

I feel sure he is going to NASCAR. For the money1 They all say the money doesn't matter. Of course they say that after they have the money.
        It will hurt IRL PR wise. Wont hurt the racing much. Can't hurt it much more than currently is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Offy
          They did and continued to grow.
          Are you kidding? The IRL has actually lost fans since Tony Stewart went to NASCAR. I'll give you there is better sponsorship and better teams, but most of that came from CART, not growth. The engine manufacturers came from CART also.

Show me where there is growth where it counts and that's with the fans.
          I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MicroRacer
            [B]Are you kidding? The IRL has actually lost fans since Tony Stewart went to NASCAR. I'll give you there is better sponsorship and better teams, but most of that came from CART, not growth. The engine manufacturers came from CART also.

I agree: Stewart leaving really hurt the IRL, and Hornish leaving, if he does, will too.

Comment

Re: OK, so he goes to NASCAR, then what?

Originally posted by skypigeon
              Let's get it out of our system now, kiddies.

If Sam goes to NASCAR full-time, coming back only for Indy if his new team will let him , what is the best way for the IRL to respond?

Dog and Rev, move this to Splitzville if you deem necessary, but I sincerely believe this is a RACING question.
              To get back on topic a bit, they should do nothing if he wants to come back and run Indy let him. Indy should always be about the best drivers getting their shot at it. Personally with the teams and talent level in the IRL now I really don't think a Indy one off has that much of shot to win. I think that is a big reason it has been easier for Stewart to stay away the last few years, he knows that a one off at Indy is going to be tough withour being with the top teams. Penske has a winning formula and isn't likely to add a 3rd one off car to mess that up, Once Ganassi went full time this year his extra cars stayed in the garage, Panther did it this year to help with the field but I think that was more the exception then the rule, AGR did run Robby but mainly because of an Injury to Dario. My guess is if Sam goes to NASCAR full time his shot at winning Indy is gone.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

There are plenty of good drivers to promote. THe IRL needs to take a lesson from the NASCAR PR machine, where someone 25th in points and winless since 1994 has more name recogonition than the IRL champ.

There are plenty of good drivers in the IPS, and I'm sure next year we'll be excited about the latest hot-shoe.

The world will not end.

We will run the Indy 500 next year and for the next 100 years.

Comment

If Hornish goes to the stoccars he will become a small fish in a big pond, not the reverse situation that he enjoys now. We'll see him doing a grinning Kenny Wallace-type "we had a 23rd place car and brought it home 17th" interview in the parking lot as the chopper warms up.

I think he should do it. He's young enough that he can return to open wheel racing when and if he wants. That is if his skills don't erode driving those things.
                  "It's not the split, it's not the lack of marketing, it's not the days the races run on, it's the product." Tommy Kendall

"....and the DRIVERS are the product !" SJFast

Comment

Then every May we applaud the fact that another driver from a different discipline has the cajones to take on the greatest race in the world. Personally, I think NASCAR is his long term future so I would suspect he will be IRL'ing for a bit longer. Maybe even on a road course, at which he is also quite adept.

Comment

Originally posted by grogg
                      The powers that be must figure out and take steps to keep the IRL from becoming a feeder series to both NASCAR and F1.
                      Yep.

The sad thing is it's no longer a money thing.

People don't see CART or the IRL as enough of a "challenge".

It's just a rest stop along the way to something else.

Which is a remarkably depressing thought, indeed....
                      http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

If Sam goes to Cup, then I no longer watch him. It's as simple as that. It's a good chance that Panther will be a two car team in 2004. To me, that will soften the blow of Hornish going to Cup.

If I'm Tony George and Sam is going to Penske to race cabs, I'm having a sit down with Roger ASAP. But for those who think the IRL can't carry on without him are not thinking clearly. Helio has won Indy 2 times, and that carries more validation than two IRL championships.

I say "good luck Sam". You can always take a ride on the lear jet if you want to go over 200 mph again." But your statement about it not being for the money will look a little cheesey if you go to Nexturtle Cup.
                        Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder-Tank
                          If Sam goes to Cup, then I no longer watch him. It's as simple as that. It's a good chance that Panther will be a two car team in 2004. To me, that will soften the blow of Hornish going to Cup.

If I'm Tony George and Sam is going to Penske to race cabs, I'm having a sit down with Roger ASAP. But for those who think the IRL can't carry on without him are not thinking clearly. Helio has won Indy 2 times, and that carries more validation than two IRL championships.

I say "good luck Sam". You can always take a ride on the lear jet if you want to go over 200 mph again." But your statement about it not being for the money will look a little cheesey if you go to Nexturtle Cup.
                          To the casual fan, more people know Helio than they do Sam Hornish. I was with a Cup fan this weekend, he mentioned that he watched the IRL. His words were "The man over there. His name is CastroNeves, right?" Sam if you want to be a LEGEND, IMO, you have to win Indy.

Let's hope we can keep the next great 'merican hope in Indy Cars.
                          You can't chase the American Dream in a hard-top!

Comment

Originally posted by Mav-1
                            To the casual fan, more people know Helio than they do Sam Hornish. I was with a Cup fan this weekend, he mentioned that he watched the IRL. His words were "The man over there. His name is CastroNeves, right?" Sam if you want to be a LEGEND, IMO, you have to win Indy.

Let's hope we can keep the next great 'merican hope in Indy Cars.
                            Next great American?

What, there are lots of them?

You need a series full to get anywhere.

The IRL can't keep one.

I can't wait until the .5 ratings on ABC next season.
                            http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Offy
                              If Sam goes to NASCAR, so be it. There were people who thought the IRL couldn't afford to lose Tony Stewart. They did and continued to grow. The racing will continue to be great whether Sam stays or leaves. After Sunday, you could make the argument that if Sam goes to NASCAR, it would make things more competitive. Sam at Penske or Ganassi in an IRL car is a pretty scary thought.

Anyway, he has not left the IRL yet. I, for one, don't think he will.
                              We'll see soon, won't we?

Aloha Mr. Offy,,,,

So,,,, what are you saying ???

Are you saying,,,,

"Just Turn the TV on this weekend and enjoy the best racing on the "Planet",,, known to Man... Enjoy the Vision,,,,

Oh,,,, that is exactly what you are saying,,,, an't it ??? That's what I read,,, anyway,,, for me...

I think I get it,,, and a BIG Bingo Award to You,,,,

And right now,,, for the rest of you,,, just recite the "Serenity Prayer",,,, over and over....

Then, if you want to do some good, call Tony on a "Land Line" and address the two real problems, that are facing the IRL today,,,,

1. COST CONTROL, LOWER the Cost of the CAR's,

Freeze the Car's,,,, RIGHT NOW, or When the Enemy, least expects it... It's a Great Insurance Policy,,, if nothing else, get some second hand junk in the "pipe line",,, just for insurance.....

2. Then encourage Boy George to hire SOMEONE, to handle PROMOTION, that is at least ,,, STILL WARM....

For starters,,, the person Tony hires, can still be "Brain Dead",,, but for the time being, Tony,,, at least make sure he/she is still "WARM....

Unlike CART,,, you have got a PRODUCT, and a great PRODUCT at that,,, so that problem is solved...

With-out a GREAT PRODUCT,,, the rest would be just an exercise in "futility"...

COST CONTROL,,, and,,, PROMOTION.... First,,, then all the "Ducks" will fall in line,,, including Toyo,,, Sammy, NASCAR, and Hondo...

Folks,,, if you call,,, put in a good word, for some of the "Grand Poo Bah's.... Some smart folks here...

The Saving Grace in this whole dead,,, is Boy George,,,

The Benevolent Dictator... CART Like,,, get serious folks......

Smell the Rose's...

Pure Greed is not in the Hulman Nature...

Now Roger Penske,,,, that's a different story,,, watch out... He's a one way street, smart as a snake in heat, and you never know were you stand with Roger... So don't stand to close to him, and never let him utter the words,,, " I Stand Behind You"....... Never, unless you like that feeling of a Knife in the Back... Smart man,,, but a "One Way Street"...

The Ringer is,,, INDY,,,, that lesson has been learn'd,,, by many, forgotten by some,,,, and still,,, so,,,, misunderstood,...

It's Indy Man,,, it's the Draw,,, the King Fish,,, the Grand Poo Bah,,,,

NASCAR like,,, you ask,,, in time,,, I hope so... I can only hope,,, just not an exact copy... But's that's for Me....
                              Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X