Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam going to Penske

Sam replacing Gil at Penske
    Last edited by Indy Red; 08-25-2003, 01:32 PM.
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Cavin is close to many people at Panther and could have been given a heads up on where Sam will go........and it could purely be speculation on his part. 13 more days in August to talk about it.....
    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Do you have a link by any chance? Thanks in advance.
      IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman
        Do you have a link by any chance? Thanks in advance.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-7227-106.html
        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

For Sam to reach his ultimate goal, the Indy 500, he must either be going to Penske or Ganassi. None of the NASCAR teams, other than RCR, will allow him to race there. He most certainly won't be going to RCR if the Panther-RCR deal is true.
          You can't chase the American Dream in a hard-top!

Comment

That makes more sense then anything else I have heard or read. Boy would I love to see that stat spewing, blame-placing Wallace go away. Penske would probably do a program like the one he did when he caught lightening in a bottle with Newman, using Buddy Backer as teacher/coach. That would give Sam probably another season in IndyCar while they work his schooling around the schedule. It would also give him the best shot at an Indy win every year. I would trust more in Roger then Ganassi.

I like Sam, I root for him, but it is just another case, much the same as the Jeff Gordon thing, where a driver turns his back on the people that took a chance on him, endured his mistakes, taught him his trade and paid for the carnage, only to have him leave for a "better" deal, instead of taking those who brought him along to a higher level. Panther saw something in Sam as a raw rookie ride-buyer with PDM and brought him along, he rewarded them with victories and championships but not loyalty, perhaps the wins are enough. Now we know what Sam meant when he said that "what he decided would anger some people," I'm not mad, but he disappointed me.

Comment

Put me squarely in that group as well Mackie. I had a bad feeling about it before the Gateway race.
              You can't chase the American Dream in a hard-top!

Comment

Let me say, I hope Sam goes to Penske, or Gannassi, or Andretti. I would like to see him stay in Indycar and help rebuild the series.

But the John Barnes quote, makes me think otherwise. I mean, why would Tony George (I am assuming Tony=Tony George) care if Sam was at Panther, or Penske, or Ganassi. All TG would care about is Sam in the IRL.

John Barnes:
                No one is more sorry to see Sam leave than us.I don't think Tony, Panther or General Motors could have changed Sam's mind. Today he made a desision that he will now have to live with. We hope nothing but the best for Sam and his family. He has been a true Champion while here. Someone we were all proud to go in to battle with. We currently have 4 more races left in this season. We plan on winning all 4. Then we can all reminisce about the last 3 years. But I can guarantee you one thing come next year our Team will continue to dominate this series without him. Yellow will continue to be the color to wear in Victory Circle! And it will still be fun to watch! Hope to see you there!
                JB]
                Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Whether we like the idea or not - or whether we like Penske or not - if Sam does indeed have the chance to go drive for Roger, he'd be a fool not to take it.
                  I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie

I like Sam, I root for him, but it is just another case, much the same as the Jeff Gordon thing, where a driver turns his back on the people that took a chance on him, endured his mistakes, taught him his trade and paid for the carnage, only to have him leave for a "better" deal, instead of taking those who brought him along to a higher level. Panther saw something in Sam as a raw rookie ride-buyer with PDM and brought him along, he rewarded them with victories and championships but not loyalty, perhaps the wins are enough. Now we know what Sam meant when he said that "what he decided would anger some people," I'm not mad, but he disappointed me.
                    Miles you about wrote my feelings out word for word. I like Sam and wish him well in whatever he does but part of me will always be disappointed that he didn't stay with who got him there. It seems from the comments that Panther was willing to pay the $ and had something in place with RCR to give him a chance to run some cup races so it seems like he is leaving just to try something else and because he believes Panther can't make him a legend. I'll still root for Sam, but if he stays in the IRL it will be at best to finish second behind whoever ends up in the Panther car.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie
                      That makes more sense then anything else I have heard or read. Boy would I love to see that stat spewing, blame-placing Wallace go away. Penske would probably do a program like the one he did when he caught lightening in a bottle with Newman, using Buddy Backer as teacher/coach. That would give Sam probably another season in IndyCar while they work his schooling around the schedule. It would also give him the best shot at an Indy win every year. I would trust more in Roger then Ganassi.

Mackie, when the IRL becomes a destination and is competitive with salaries for the top end guys, things like this will not happen. Right now and for the foreseeable future, that is not the case.
                      The guy has a right to make a living with a salary commensurate with what he has done so far. Apparently, the IRL cannot compete, yet, with that.

Comment

Miles....you may have missed the mark slightly regarding Jeff Gordon and his so-called "defection". Jeff was in Busch and his representative (step-dad Bickford) was begging Kranefuss for a Cup contract. Kranefuss dragged his feet and Hendrick came up with a contract. It seems to me like a "bird in the hand" situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
                        "It's not the split, it's not the lack of marketing, it's not the days the races run on, it's the product." Tommy Kendall

"....and the DRIVERS are the product !" SJFast

Comment

Mackie hit the nail on the head.

I hope that Sam stays in the IRL be it with Andretti, Penske, Rahal, or Ganassi.

If Sam goes to NASCAR I'll be disappointed but hope he does well.

If Sam goes to NASCAR and returns to run Indy as a one-off, I'll welcome him back and cheer for him if he wins.

Sam is a class guy. We need more people like Sam Hornish in racing....whatever the series.

Comment

Originally posted by SJFast
                            Miles....you may have missed the mark slightly regarding Jeff Gordon and his so-called "defection". Jeff was in Busch and his representative (step-dad Bickford) was begging Kranefuss for a Cup contract. Kranefuss dragged his feet and Hendrick came up with a contract. It seems to me like a "bird in the hand" situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
                            My understanding was that Ford had everything in place to take the whole Davis team to Cup with Gordon and he bolted to Hendrick. Ever since then Ford has locked their up and coming guys in early.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ganassifan
                              Mackie, when the IRL becomes a destination and is competitive with salaries for the top end guys, things like this will not happen. Right now and for the foreseeable future, that is not the case.
                              The guy has a right to make a living with a salary commensurate with what he has done so far. Apparently, the IRL cannot compete, yet, with that.
                              From all the qoutes it seems that money wasn't the issue, the fact that Panther wasn't even allowed to put an offer on the table seems to support this. Which is what makes this even weirder to me, leaving for more money I would understand, you have to look out for yourself and family.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X