Al Unser Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Unser Jr.

I guess we're going to run this IRL season without Al Unser Jr. That is a ridiculous thought to think, but it's looking like a reality. I'd say that with Scheckter's performance in testing, he's got the Cheever ride. Scheckter may turn out to be a fast qualifyer, but I'm saying right now that he isn't going to race like Al would. It's really sad to think that a two time Indy 500 winner, and a guy who has one a race in each of the last two years in TERRIBLE equipment is going to go without a ride. This is particularly disturbing when you consider that someone like Hideki Noda or John deVries will drive and Al won't. This is all very frustrating to me. Tony lured Al to the IRL to help him establish his league, now Al will be left out in the cold just b/c the car owners aren't smart enough to realize what he's got. That's really sad!!

chill, everything will turn out fine.

Comment

It's not Tony's fault that corporate America is not willing to back little Al. You can thank Bud especially for giving up on Al.

I don't like this anymore than you do, but if Al has chances outside the IRL, I don't think anyone is stopping him.
      Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

It's not Tony's fault that corporate America is not willing to back little Al. You can thank Bud especially for giving up on Al.

I don't like this anymore than you do, but if Al has chances outside the IRL, I don't think anyone is stopping him.
        Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

I expect that there will be something for him. TCGR would be an outstanding product with Al Jr., and Wardy running a pair of cars. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I'd like to think that this or another combination with a top team, would pay great dividends. He's a proven champ, and has always taken care of the equipment under him.
          Let's not forget that IMS is an Unser track!
          "I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spotted some land" ~Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

A rampart is a bulwark!

Comment

I think if Ganassi had the resources and the money, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives Al a ride.
            He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

I think the world of Al, I really do.

But perhaps he needs to lower his retainer demands. Maybe racing for the purse might restore some of the hunger to win.

I'd agree about the equipment, sure didn't look like the Galles team I had become accustomed to. I wonder if the lack of Owen Snyder has anything to do with that.
              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
                <STRONG>chill, everything will turn out fine.</STRONG>
                Yeah, I'm sure Mackie knows something that he just can't talk about just yet. awhile back Tom kelley said that if he ran three cars, so would Penske. We already know who the third Kelly car will be intended for, but the third car for Penske hasn't seen much speculation.

I don't want to make any predictions, but I'm pretty sure Roger hasn't forgotten how many times an out of work Unser has saved the Penske bacon. If Al doesn't get anything soon, he might not demand so much money. He is loathe to sit out yet another 500.
                I'm dead now.

Comment

I also think that it is absurd that AUJ doesn't have a ride. I never would have guessed that soemthing like this would happen.

Comment

i posted this thought on the cheever third car thread but it's pobably more appropriate here. rev-ed has said that if jr. gets in shape and convinces the right people that he has a new focus he will likely get a good ride. the cheever option seems to be gone. but with the breaking news weekly about new teams (gannassi) who knows. it seems to me that the ball is in jr.'s court. maybe rev-ed or someone else can share some potential backroom deals going on.

Comment

I have a filling that part of the Ganassi/TG conversations would probably have a little to do with Unser Jr. as well as Wardy. That is only my opinion. I truly believe that TG will not let this season start without helping Unser Jr. find a ride.
                      Team KELLEY ROCKS! Get well soon Jason! Three in top ten at KY. Way to go Scott, Al, and Tony!

Comment

We'll se Al at Indy

I'm not sure how good a team Galles is/was but if Jr was in a top car he'll have just as good a chace!

Comment

Just got back from TITW at Phoenix and boy did it feel strange not seeing Little Al not test there. Al Unser, Sr. was not even at his chair to sign autographs.

Comment

I'm gonna take my buddy Mackie's advice and let it ride!

carl s
                            Indio, CA
                            SCRA begins today
                            PIR and first trip to Fontana next month
                            SRL returns for a race @ El Cajon this summer
                            Several NASCAR Mod races on Speedvision
                            And an exciting year of IRL TV on the way
                            Go Viva Billy
                            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

The problem is that I don't realy see a quality place for Al this late in the going. I just hope that TG is paying his salary and will find a spot for him. Its awfully late though.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X